Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1239
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
DasHoff

Rep: 13.8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 pm Post subject: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

it says 4 days, but surely it goes longer? i mean carentan was taken on the 13th of june, wasnt it?

does the campaign lead more inland, like original cc5? or does this new campaign just revolve around the initial couple of days at the beaches?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:37 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

Its only four days. If you want a longer campaign be prepared to spend days editing the campaign.txt file. So far nobody has made a longer campaign AFAIK.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:22 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

The 4 day campaign is long enough....

Each day has a night and 4 day turns, so 5 turns per day.

The 1st night turn has 8 Allied BG's and the number of Allied BG's can increase to 30. So if you average 15 BG's in battle per turn that will be 300 battles in the 4 day campaign.

At a minimum of 15 minutes per battle you will play approximately 75 hours....

There are 3 Operations for each landing area or you can play each map individually which is 75 battles....

It is well worth the money for the amount of game play!

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:28 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

One of the main complaints in the past was the exceedingly long campaign.

Mooxe was one of the loudest saying no one could ever finish those long campaigns, why can't we have shorter campaigns.

Of course, now that a , relatively, short campaign is made available he is one of the first to raise his voice in complaint... must be something in his genes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

DasHoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:58 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

ah ok cool. any tips for an allied player, like where i should attack to get the most points, etc

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

Attack at all points.

Your original orders were to take all of the maps shown in the first 24hours.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2101214
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

I am just saying.... Its impossible to edit the campaign.txt easily, you really need to be a pro and spend a ton of time on it. I did try to make a longer GC with only two turns per day and 10 days long, thats 20 moves. This would of allowed reinforcements to arrive sooner. I dont need a history lesson. I just gave up after a few days, to much editing, too much troubleshooting..

Among the moddable features: ALL strat layer features, ALL campaign details including weather, turns per day, scoring, all support mission types for both sides and locations, battlegroup recycling, battlegroup retreat/disband, supply and much more!

Yeah everything dumped to a text file. Everyone has notepad.exe so everyone can now enjoy the limitless modding possibilities of the campaign system. Yeah right!!!!!!! Changing the amount of days was wayyyyyy easier the original way.

Ok so I did whine that nobody could finish the long GCs, its true, very true. But with CC5 you could make shorter GCs, you could make long and short. Now you guys come along and lock it down to short only. Well unless you recite klatu-verata-nikktu or something like that.

Quote:
It is well worth the money more the amount of game play!

I dont think anybody buys that 75 hours of game play for the low price of $39.99 is a deal, thats not how people buy games. Can we stop saying this over and over? If we were to compare that to others games, this game would be a complete ripoff. Matrix Games pricing is not set in how many hours you can play a game, nor the quality, the support.... its a business model and nothing else. Why try and justify it? You guys are smarter than that....

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:28 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

It's a very deep and complex game Mooxe, that's what makes it the survivor it is.

You want it simple... but then it wouldn't be Close Combat but just a piece of fluff.

The data you refer too was not editable at all previously, now it is... that makes it simpler.

You could not edit ALL campaign details including weather, turns per day, scoring, all support mission types for both sides and locations, battlegroup recycling, battlegroup retreat/disband, supply and much more!.... now you can , stop whining.

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:31 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Matrix Games pricing is not set in how many hours you can play a game, nor the quality, the support.... its a business model and nothing else. Why try and justify it? You guys are smarter than that....

Worth every cent I spent on it a million times over.

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:34 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

Mooxe,

The 75 hours was just an example of the minimum time that someone could put in to the game for single campaign. The value though is in H2H and playing the campaigns/operations and trying different approaches.

For someone making a mod the options in the campaign.txt is what everyone wanted. Almost every setting that was hidden before is now available to be edited. Does it take effort? Yes it does. Is it easier than before when people had to hex edit files to change things? Yes it is.

The problem is there are very few mod makers today, not the options available or format of the files (edit: I do think a strat creation tool is still needed/missed by mod makers). It is the people with the desire to put in the effort required to make a mod other than a couple still working on finishing their CC5 mods started years ago (ex, CC5 Battle of the Scheldt by Buck) that is missing....

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:50 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

If i counted correctly there are 63 maps right?
I dont have CCTLD but 63 maps and 5 turns per day looks great to me.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

CC is a graphics and data intensive game. Becuase of the campaign structure, deep testing is required whenever there are changes to campaign related data values. It takes more effort and money to develop this type of game and the testing cycles add to the expense.

I was always amazed when modders in the past would take on a CC5 project, many times, with very large project teams. Even for the mods the development cycle was long and tedius and successful projects were generally those that had competent management.

I am glad modding values have been moved outside of the exe. This is good programming in any event. But the fact of the matter, in the large scheme of things, modding a CC5 (now TLD) project from beginning to end is still a VERY time consuming process.

Few people today, have enough inclination or time to even "port" the existing mods from CC5 to TLD or even CCMT.

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:08 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

I believe a couple of mod conversions are in progress;

Bloody Omaha
GJS
Meuse

Though little has been said or shown. Maybe they won't get done but they have been started....

For Meuse I will posts screen shots to prove it is possible but I will not commit to releasing it. As I still have changes I would like to make (ex. night turns, weather, support maps, etc. and I was going to add or change some maps but the map maker who said he would make them has disappeared). Plus I have put in a lot of effort already into mods and in being a beta tester on the re-releases so when I hear/read some of the comments/feedback I wonder why bother if people don't appreciate the re-releases....

TLD Meuse Night.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.21 KB
 Viewed:  13110 Time(s)

TLD Meuse Night.jpg

TLD Meuse.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.61 KB
 Viewed:  13110 Time(s)

TLD Meuse.jpg

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:22 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

Thats funny, hopefully the mods will be completed.

What's funny is I just recently downloaded Fortif, Houx, and Namur for my own West Front mini campaign in CCMT. This mod is already complete and operational in CCMT. It took about an hour. This time the Allies are crossing from left to right.

As I age, it's no longer about quantity anymore.

But, I still hope the big mods get ported to TLD for the sake of the community.

DasHoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:59 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

man i dont know how im supposed to take every map within the first 24 hours vs a decent player, but im gonna try. the whole exhaustion thing rages me, there have already been several instances where i couldve taken the map, but the battle ended due to exhaustion. or his force morale drops too far and the battle ends prematurely, when i was going to take the map anyway. i've just finished the night battles, we are on to june 6 now.

will my axis opponent get a chance to do any counter attacks at all? or is it just gonna be me attacking every square. i dont know if he gets an panzer units or not

lemon42

Rep: 4.8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:24 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
I believe a couple of mod conversions are in progress;

Bloody Omaha
GJS
Meuse

Though little has been said or shown. Maybe they won't get done but they have been started....

For Meuse I will posts screen shots to prove it is possible but I will not commit to releasing it. As I still have changes I would like to make (ex. night turns, weather, support maps, etc. and I was going to add or change some maps but the map maker who said he would make them has disappeared). Plus I have put in a lot of effort already into mods and in being a beta tester on the re-releases so when I hear/read some of the comments/feedback I wonder why bother if people don't appreciate the re-releases....

There are people which appreciate what you guys are doing so please don't worry to much and keep working on them !

DasHoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

also does anyone have a definite answer for the effect of night? my opponent says it has a huge effect; its why ive been able to sneak up and flank him all the time. but im not so sure. should i rest my battlegroups during the night or keep hammering him? does resting bring cohesion back up?

Tejszd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

Night reduces how far troops can see so it does make it easier to sneak up.

Resting a battlegroup helps them recover cohesion & fatigue. Keep in mind both sides have to decide to rest or the enemy BG has to move away to get any benefit. If you are the Allies it is probably best to keep hammering away for the 1st day or two to get some space to allow reinforcements to land on the open beaches....

DasHoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:39 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

i have one more question. for some of the beaches it says dont worry about pockets of resistance to the south of the map, just clear the main points and let future units clean up. does that mean i can take the road out on the beach map, and therefore move my unit off the beach, letting the next unit to land on the beach finish the germans off?

Tejszd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:24 am Post subject: Re: how long does the grand campaign go for? Reply with quote

DasHoff wrote (View Post):
i have one more question. for some of the beaches it says dont worry about pockets of resistance to the south of the map, just clear the main points and let future units clean up. does that mean i can take the road out on the beach map, and therefore move my unit off the beach, letting the next unit to land on the beach finish the germans off?

Yes, as the Allies you want to push inland as soon as possible as it will allow follow up BG's to land and sometimes you will also cut off the supply line to the German BG on the beach making it even easier for them to be detroyed by the following BG....

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: