Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 am Post subject: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

..one of the most interesting war started, we call it World War II.

Your thoughts?

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

Tippi-Simo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

That was horrible to Finland too, we lost:
- Petsamo
- Salla
- Karjala / Karelia
- Suomenlahden saaret / Gulf of Finland islands

Our casulties were pretty high. And you all know that Russian main objective was to kill civilians by bombing cities and villages.

Rest in peace those who served for Finnish army

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:12 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

I thnink the Brits and Americans had the same objectives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Zturm

Rep: 1.7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:43 am Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

my deepest sentiment to those polish soldiers and normal people who at 5.00 am, fri september 1st heard gunshots and explosions not knowing what the hell was going on and what the hell it was going to become.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

I think everyone knew what's going on, as Polish army was already during mobilisation.

What they didn't know is that cowardly and treacherous French and English won't have guts to attack Germany and stop the war.

Yeah, but French and Russians paid for it dearly. In their own blood.

Too bad that there weren't proper compensations paid for the war. Germans should have paid compensations to innocent civilians for exposing them to war, for lost family members, for destroyed private property, etc.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

But what about the German civilians? Don't forget the fire storms in Hamburg, Dresden and the "liberated" parts of Germany where the Red Army plundered and raped there way to Berlin. Or Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

In a war there is only losers, but the history is written by those who are victorious.

My respect goes to all those who lost their lives during this epic war, let us all hope that we don't have to experience anything like it in our time.

(Although we wouldn't have great games like CC, Hearts of Iron or ASL without that time; -Oh what a dull life...  Wink)

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Therion

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:38 am Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):
But what about the German civilians? Don't forget the fire storms in Hamburg, Dresden and the "liberated" parts of Germany where the Red Army plundered and raped there way to Berlin. Or Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

They should have been paid compenasation by German and Japanese governments which started the war and committed genocide (Japan before the official start of WWII) and introduced tactics like terror-bombing cities (Guernica, Wielu?, etc.), of course - as long as they weren't supported the regime, of course.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

Careful with the "proper compensations paid" as it is a slippery slope. That was the way things were handled after WW1 and Germany as the country was working only to pay "proper compensations" which later made it easy for the Nazi movement to get control....

Tippi-Simo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:43 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

American sympathy for Finland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQmwbQttkY  finnish subtitles

France sympathy for Finland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1MNQk3DECI finnish subtitles

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

American sympathy for Finland? Not so sure about that... Shocked

On October 27th 1941 the Finns received "a stiff warning from the United States government not to attack the Murmansk railway and impede the transport of US supplies to the Soviet Union." (Seven Days in January by Wolf T. Zoepf, footnote page 23)

-Just as these brave Americans told the Swedish government that they might bomb Swedish cities by 'mistake' if we didn't allowed them (and their British colleges) to fly over Sweden on their way to bomb Germany...  Rolling Eyes

Don't mistake me for a bloody nazi, since I'm living in the biggest brown-nosing country in the free world I'm damn glad someone told 'Grossfa' Adolf that he was a naughty boy! Otherwise I'm sure that I would be greeting with my right arm raised today...  Confused  And at the same time I'm glad that I have the brave Finns as my neighbours to the east, alone they stopped Stalins aggressive expansion to the north-east and their only reason they attacked Soviet in '41 was to retake territories they lost after the peace after the winter war. As far is I know they somewhat lost their will to advance after they retaken those territories, but fell free too correct me if I'm wrong.

WW II is still an infected subject, 70 years since it started, but isn't it time that we stop to think in black-and-white? There were heroes and villains on both sides, both sides committed war-crimes, killed civilians and waged "total war" on each others.

Remember: "The first casualty of war is the truth"

AT_Stalky

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

On October 27th 1941 the Finns received "a stiff warning from the United States government not to attack the Murmansk railway and impede the transport of US supplies to the Soviet Union." (Seven Days in January by Wolf T. Zoepf, footnote page 23)

Are you sure about that...

St PeterB times first Jan 1940

And they dint threat Sweden for that reason you mentiond. However US threat to bomb Gothenburg but for another reason.

Stalk

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

Public is one thing, political another...  Wink

Just quoting the book, a very well researched and detailed work. But sure? Can't be, first and only time I've heard about it, but at the moment I'm inclined to believe it.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

Public is one thing, political another...  Wink

Just quoting the book, a very well researched and detailed work. But sure? Can't be, first and only time I've heard about it, but at the moment I'm inclined to believe it.

Politically… Hm, you mean as in the US people supported Finland but US politics did not?  
So when Roosevelt condemn the Russian aggression vs the finns in early December 39 he meant?
And when US state urge a morale embargo against export to Russians, that became a total export ban, US politics meant?
Dint US freeze the Russian assets? (or was that when russians invaded the baltic nations?)
And when US house approve of a war loan to Finland of 20 mil, US politics meant?  
Etc.. etc

Stalk

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:29 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

1939 was one thing, at that time Stalin was the enemy of the free world and the aggressor. The Finns did a hell of a job defending their country and without their bravery and the support from the rest of the world who knows if Stalin had settled with the territories he stole.

But isn't it a small misunderstanding here? -I'm talking about the continuous war in 1941 when the Finns cooperated with Germany in order to recapture their lost territories (and I think it's important to make a difference between a full alliance and the military cooperation that the Finns had.) At that time the enemy of the free world was Germany, and by good reasons too. According to the rule of "my enemies enemy is my best friend", Stalin was one of the good guys now and US did all they could to help Soviet in their fight. That's the reason I'm inclined to believe that the Americans threatened Finland.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:20 am Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

Yeh well, my replies has been about:

Im rather sure about that.

And that brings us to :
Quote:
1939 was one thing, at that time Stalin was the enemy of the free world and the aggressor.

And:
Quote:
But isn't it a small misunderstanding here?  -I'm talking about the continuous war in 1941

No, i dont think sympathies for finland changed that much, because:

Apart from the contents in my previous posts. Have you considered that USA never declared war on Finland, even though Finland was at war with an US allied (soviet)?

So why dint USA declare war? Is it possible it has to do with em sympathies (both public and politic) American had for Finland?

Tippi-Simo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: 70 years ago.. Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):

So why dint USA declare war? Is it possible it has to do with em sympathies (both public and politic) American had for Finland?

They had sympathies even that time.

But about Britain? Had the nerves to attack in Petsamo without declaring war (Winter War). What a wankers (and they think they play by the rules).

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: