Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1226
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
Infidel

Rep: 25.4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

There's no more risk to your computer than with any other torrent.  

In other words, if you know what you're doing and use your brain, you won't have a single problem, no.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

Apart from a knock on the door from copyright attorneys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Infidel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

Depends on how you're downloading them and where you're located.  That's always a risk but there are ways to ensure your safety.
If you're downloading using torrents you should really be using IP bounces if you have any fears.
Besides, you have to be very unlucky to become one of the few who get in trouble and made an example of.

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:03 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

It is not illegal to download torrent files because you download small parts everywhere. When all those small pieces are downloaded, the computer gathers them as one file. That applies to Finland. Don´t know other countries.

Uploading is an other thing though.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

Zturm

Rep: 1.7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

Who pays the modders for doing the wonderful job they do?

If people don't have the money to buy a half-assed 50 bucks game (sorry, but that's what matrix releases are in my book after getting CoI) and there's an invention called torrent... If there wasnt that beautiful invention i wouldn't have ever played CC and my life would be really boring. This game unleashed my inner grognard, so god bless torrents. Go for them.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:42 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

So

The Game is great and it made your life wonderful

and

the Game is half assed

ipso facto Your life is half assed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

jonez68

Rep: 28.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:56 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

Zturm wrote (View Post):
Who pays the modders for doing the wonderful job they do?

If people don't have the money to buy a half-assed 50 bucks game (sorry, but that's what matrix releases are in my book after getting CoI)...

I concur.  All the wonderful mod makers out there really kept the Close Combat series alive and well.  Did they make the modifications for profit?  Nope.

The mod makers saw an opportunity to modify a game and serve its community through their time and talents.  Matrix Games saw a business opportunity, primarily.  I owe many years of CC gaming to the mod makers; I won't give Matrix anything (I certainly won't buy from them).

I'm playing CC5 on a modern computer with the help of the "Mo'Slo" app; runs just fine.

Oh, and I just celebrated my 5th year anniversary with the closecombatseries.net forums.  Thank you for giving Close Combat players a great place to congregate.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

But

You do still have alll the bugs

You can only play on 44 maps

You can only play in daylight

Reinforce and disband don't work correctly for you

etc

but hey, I like CC5 too.

Infidel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:09 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

It is possible to both love something and realise it's faults.

I mean, I love my mother, but she still pisses me off constantly harassing me about when I'm going to give her some grandchildren.  Razz

jonez68

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:14 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
But

You do still have alll the bugs

You can only play on 44 maps

You can only play in daylight

Reinforce and disband don't work correctly for you

etc

but hey, I like CC5 too.

And if Matrix Games decided to give the CC community all of these things free of charge (like the mod makers were/are doing), I would probably be interested.  I am impressed more with the heart of the mod makers; freely giving of themselves for the community, than I am with Matrix Games and what motivates them.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

matrix are a business, probably much like the one you work for... maybe they should give away their work... or maybe you should???

Everyone involved in the production of the recent CC games gives freely of their time, both now and in the past.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

What did capitalism ever do for anyone?

jonez68

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

matrix are a business, probably much like the one you work for... maybe they should give away their work... or maybe you should???

Everyone involved in the production of the recent CC games gives freely of their time, both now and in the past.

Sure Matrix is a business, no one is disputing that, but their latest installments in the CC franchise are not unlike what the mod makers have put out for the community (free of charge) long before Matrix saw an opportunity to make money off of CC.

Oh, and your point about me giving away my work helps my case; that's precisely what the mod makers are doing and have done!  Guys like you and me, giving of themselves for the sake of the community and for the betterment of our beloved game.  Their sense of satisfaction comes not from sales figures (as in a business), but merely from seeing the game they cherish and the community they belong to, thrive.

Look, I know Schrecken you probably understand the argument I've put forth this past day, but you don't want to agree with it; and that's fine.  Believe it or not, I wish the best for you and Matrix.  I, do though, stand by the words I've written here, and in previous posts, and I know that many people in this community agree with me.  It's just something that you will have to accept; not everyone is going to share in your opinion.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:32 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

éxcept the mod makers haven't done to CC what has been achieved by S3T

Not one mod with more than 44 maps
Not one mod that can be fought over more than 2 turns
Not one mod that fixes the broken rules
Not one mod that BG's can retreat on
Not one mod that can include night battles
Not one mod that etc etc

So, you make a good argument but it is hollow.

jonez68

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

éxcept the mod makers haven't done to CC what has been achieved by S3T

Not one mod with more than 44 maps
Not one mod that can be fought over more than 2 turns
Not one mod that fixes the broken rules
Not one mod that BG's can retreat on
Not one mod that can include night battles
Not one mod that etc etc

So, you make a good argument but it is hollow.

You constantly speak about game features, Schrecken; that's not the issue being discussed, here.  The primary issue is, where does the commitment of Matrix or the mod makers, lie?  With making money or with the good of the community in mind?  The mod makers have raised the bar when it comes to modifying the CC games in one profound respect and that is, they exhibit selflessness and generosity that far exceeds any virtues that Matrix can muster.

So, no more straw man arguments, Schrecken; just stick with the issue at hand, please.  Thanks.

Jonez

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:04 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

There is no doubt Matrixgames' only interest is in making a living for it's owners and staff... no one has argued otherwise.

modders endeavours are of course generous and selfless, apart from those seeking adoration and compliments from their peers.... nothing wrong with that though, what ever rocks your boat.

With the above in mind the games have not advanced one iota since 2000 despite the very best efforts of the modders to bring new scenarios and Theatres of war to the table.

It is  only through commercial interest that any coding and technical advancement has been achieved let alone fixing the broken code that we've had to live with since 2000.

And, on top of that, modding options have now been given a greater breadth and depth than ever before possible, all thanks to commercial interest and the dedicated work of a very few people.

jonez68

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

There is no doubt Matrixgames' only interest is in making a living for it's owners and staff... no one has argued otherwise.

modders endeavours are of course generous and selfless, apart from those seeking adoration and compliments from their peers.... nothing wrong with that though, what ever rocks your boat.

With the above in mind the games have not advanced one iota since 2000 despite the very best efforts of the modders to bring new scenarios and Theatres of war to the table.

It is  only through commercial interest that any coding and technical advancement has been achieved let alone fixing the broken code that we've had to live with since 2000.

And, on top of that, modding options have now been given a greater breadth and depth than ever before possible, all thanks to commercial interest and the dedicated work of a very few people.

All very true, Schrecken; that's why I said in a previous post that I wish Matrix the best.

Still, though, many members of this community feel that Matrix was an intrusion on their beloved game.  Take for instance, this poll.

Was this poll scientific? Probably not, though I think it does reflect the feelings of our community pretty well.  The majority who voted do believe in their heart, that CC will always belong to them, no matter who happens to have the legal right over it.  

CC is sacred ground to many here, Schrecken, that's all.  That's the reason why you find people here that do not appreciate the efforts of Matrix as wholeheartedly as you do.

Thanks for your comments.

Jonez

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

yeh... I fix and mod my car... but I don't own General Motors

jonez68

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

yeh... I fix and mod my car... but I don't own General Motors

Huh?

schrecken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 am Post subject: Re: CC Torrents Reply with quote

Quote:
Who owns Close Combat?

We do and we damn well earned it!
 POLL

:)

Quote:
CC is sacred ground to many here,

Tough, it's just a game

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: