Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1246
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:00 pm Post subject: Photoshop Help. Reply with quote

One of the things that has always been keeping me from enjoying any type of graphic work for CC Vehicles and other Graphics is trying to figure out how to achieve the blend of different colors.
When you look at the image below you can see that almost every Pixel is a different color.
it's a blown up image for the JagPanther from TT's VetBoB

How does one achieve this when creating a Vehicle/Map/Building/Tree from scratch?

gJagP_norm_hull_but.tex.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.21 KB
 Viewed:  2763 Time(s)

gJagP_norm_hull_but.tex.jpg

UO0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.06 KB
 Viewed:  2763 Time(s)

UO0001.jpg

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: Photoshop Help. Reply with quote

Case in point:
I have 2 vehicles im trying to create
1) M26 Pershing
2) Winter Camo King Tiger

For both vehicles im using a template found from the Internet.
After resizing the Image to be of a scale to TT's vehicles the template is pretty much un-useable by itself,not totaly useless but very blurry and a huge loss of detail.
So I've been using Layers to try and bring back as much detail back as possible.While still retaining the original Image/Template.
Even set at 1 Pixel for the Black to bring out the outline detail,my end result is cartoonish,despite trying to Blue,Smudge,Adjust Curves,Sharpen, whatever.
And for what ever reason im just not happy with the results for the M26 Pershing. (Haven’t got Anything I like for the Tiger)

Here's what I have for the M26 Pershing so far. And the template
Seems ok when all put together but as you can see im lacking severly when trying to recreate what needs to be under the Turret once the Turret is removed.And recreating some of the detail.
The Image size of the Hull is 26W X 54H,The Turret is 19W X 65H (vertical facing)
The Template is 729W X 295H (Horizontal facing when cropped to not have any white surrounding areas)

This is also creating problems for me when just trying to add a winter Camo to some current Vehicles in order to provide a larger variety of Teams.I do have the Camo Plugin Neil provided years ago,but I can't say im having any better luck with that either.

M26 Pershing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.46 KB
 Viewed:  2757 Time(s)

M26 Pershing.jpg

M26 Pershing copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.77 KB

M26 Pershing copy.jpg

M26 Pershing Hull.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.34 KB

M26 Pershing Hull.jpg

Last edited by platoon_michael on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Photoshop Help. Reply with quote

Not trying to insult anyone (today Smile )
Would be to use this example from a Vehicle I found in GJS as what I would consider to be pretty much un-acceptable and cartoonish and along the lines of what I seem to end up with.
I could have also used an original CCIV Vehicle for the demonstration, but was searching this mod for use of British Vehicles to consider using for WAR

gBT7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.66 KB
 Viewed:  2748 Time(s)

gBT7.jpg

PillX

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 am Post subject: Re: Photoshop Help. Reply with quote

That would be pretty much the art of "pixel pushing", where you would need to zoom in and out of an image to determine would you need to touch up. It's an artistic judgment call as far as whether you go with one shade or another, but colors begin to sort of blend at smaller scales, representing a wider range of detail and/or suggesting some form of transition between two sections of an object (if that makes any sense to you.)

Some things you might want to try is reducing/restricting the palette (especially if the game runs on a specific palette), and/or passing the image through a sharpen filter a few times as you incrementally reduce the scale.

You'll likely need to do a little touching up with whatever process you decide to go with.

In my experience, a lot of games that use pixel art tend to use Pro Motion

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: