Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
iDot

Rep: 15.8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

i have just finished reading red pheonix. Someone should make a mod of that book for cc5 Razz

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:45 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

http://www.strategypage.com/wargames/articles_news/closecombat.asp

Done a lot of research for that title... even played the dev build...not a game yet but had some interesting stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:46 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The next in the series, Close Combat: Red Phoenix™, is a realistic real-time strategy game set on the challenging terrains of today’s Korean peninsula. Loosely based on the New York Times best-selling novel by Larry Bond, Red Phoenix puts players in command of a reinforced rifle platoon of U.S. Marines or South Korean soldiers fighting against an invasion by North Korea in 2006. Red Phoenix is scheduled for worldwide release in early 2005.

can't edit above^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

As a novel related with WW2, I would recommend "Death is Called Engelchen" by Ladislav Mnacko. It is about partisan activity in the former Yugoslavia territory against the German occupation. I don't know if it is sold now though, I had read it when I was a kid. Maybe you can find it in bookstores who sell old, used books.

iDot

Rep: 15.8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
The next in the series, Close Combat: Red Phoenix™, is a realistic real-time strategy game set on the challenging terrains of today’s Korean peninsula. Loosely based on the New York Times best-selling novel by Larry Bond, Red Phoenix puts players in command of a reinforced rifle platoon of U.S. Marines or South Korean soldiers fighting against an invasion by North Korea in 2006. Red Phoenix is scheduled for worldwide release in early 2005.

can't edit above^

ATTENTION, IF YOU HAVE NOT READ RED PHEONIX THIS NEXT PART CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!

man just a platoon? you could do the full korean peninsula in cc5 I reakon and have the full effects of the book (I know Patton told me not to but im going to assume you have read the book as well.) If you did a mod with all available troops from the book it would be interesting to see if the Americans and the South Koreans could actually try and hold the North at Seoul rather than falling back to Taejon and outflanking the massively outstreched North Korean forces.

Oh well dreams are free, it wont get made less i make it and I have tried modding and did not succeed lmao Wink, but if anyone else is interested im more than happy to give my thoughts, read the book a few times now.

bagde58

Rep: 7.6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just finished "Napoleon biography" by J. Tarle  Idea

verner

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:23 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

a most read book for this forum is "lost victories" by eric von manstein ...  brilliant book..

regards verner

CC_CO

Rep: 32.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading Antony Beavers "STALINGRAD". The book is probably one of the cornerstones in all litteratur related to the battle. 400 pages. A must read!

verner

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

got it  Very Happy   nice book and cornelius ryan is also a MOST READ  Smile

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I have been reading a book for months now. Usually just 15minutes in bed a few nights a week. I cant remember the name of it actually! It is non-fiction. Its about the three soldiers in WW1, all ended up being killed in action, and thier bodies were not recovered, or were buried as unknowns. Those three stories are pieced together by witnesses, friends, family and official reports. The next part of the book details how thier families tried to find thier remains through the government and actually visiting the grave sites just after WW1. The final chapters deal with how England, the USA and other Allied countried came to honour the unknown soldier. It describes how each country chose its unknown soldier from the graves and how they were honored, the same honors still payed today each Nov 11th. Its very interesting.

For England's unknown soldier they did this...

Three teams, unaware of each other, unaware of the greater meaning to thier tasks were all sent out to various battlegrounds of France. They were instructed to unearth one unknown soldier and bring that body back at a specific time. They were to inspect the body for any type of identification at all. If there was so much as a button that would tell what unit the man was from, then the body was not suitable. All three teams had thier return timings staggered so as not find out about one another. At midnight, one casket was randomly chosen by someone who did not know from which area the bodies were taken from. The secrecy was very important. The government wanted to make sure that all families of soldiers who remains could not be identified had an equal chance of the unknown soldier being thier son or father etc. The USA and France did much the same in terms of secrecy.

I did some online research about the Canadian Unknown soldier. We brought an unknown soldier back only in the year 2000!

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Wastemoreland

Rep: 13.7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:54 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

When a Sparrow falls. By Wilbur Smith.

Amusing story.

Infidel

Rep: 25.4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Haha Wilbur Smith is brilliant, mindless action tales that you just can't put down.  I think that may have been the first one I read too, years ago, and now I own them all!  Enjoy it mate.

Dundradal

Rep: 27.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Admiral John H. Towers: The Struggle for Naval Air Supremacy - Clark Reynolds

Cosmos - Carl Sagan

Thutmose III: The Military Biography of Egypt's Greatest Warrior King - Richard A. Gabriel

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message, Marathon Infinity

Infidel

Rep: 25.4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

"How to Fit Your New Ikea Wardrobe"

This one's a God damned fucking mission to read.

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol.
Have to read sometimes fiction. History is pretty heavy stuff.
Have spared 3 books for my trip so far:
- Stalingrad, Beevor
- The Mind of Stalin.. , Rancour-LaFerriere
- The Siege of Leningrad 41-44, Seppälä (published by the biggest commie butt licker in the world: Johan Bäckman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_B%C3%A4ckman)

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Have just spent a few hours reading "Hell's Highway, the true story of the 101st Airborne Division during operation Market Garden, September 17-25, 1944" by John Antal.

If you want to know the background of the division and every battalion movement of the 101st during MG it's a nice book with a few interesting facts, but it's full of flaws as well.  Mad

As an American book about American soldiers, every German gun is a 'FlaK 88', all German SP Guns are StuG III, the SS are fanatics sitting on tanks shouting "I want to die for Hitler" and except for the tactical maps, the Germans are a faceless mass. (And when they mention German units, they place Sturmgeschützbrigade 280 against the 101st, even though it fought in Arnhem and Oosterbeek...)

They can't even accept the fact that Luftwaffe had air-superiority during this battle, and when describing the German air-raid on Eindhoven on September 19 it's very important to point out that 227 Dutch civilians were killed and several hundred were wounded; -I just wonder how many civilians were killed in Allied air-raids during the liberation of Europe?!?  Rolling Eyes

Finally, the pictures in the book is a strange story! 1/3 is real pictures from 1944, as it should be.
-But 1/3 are modern reenactors of the division and the last 1/3 are screen-shots from the  'Brothers In Arms' games!!  Rolling Eyes
I know that the book is released as a part of the release of 'Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway', but still....

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):

Finally, the pictures in the book is a strange story! 1/3 is real pictures from 1944, as it should be.
-But 1/3 are modern reenactors of the division and the last 1/3 are screen-shots from the  'Brothers In Arms' games!!  Rolling Eyes
I know that the book is released as a part of the release of 'Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway', but still....

Screenshots from a computer game are in a book like that? Funny!

I am reading Iron Coffins at the moment. Such an excellent first person account of the U-Boat war.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Ignacio

Rep: 2.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I am reading "Hitler Moves EAst" by Paul Carell. Great Book!

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

AMBUSH ALLEY: THE MOST EXTRAORDINARY BATTLE OF THE IRAQ WAR
Reading it makes me glad that I never went to army O_o . I've read the beginning and it already shows tons of boredom, internal conflicts, incompetence and all the stuff annoying like that.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:31 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

A few that I've read within past 6 months:

John Keegan: The American Civil War is a pretty good read although there are some simplifications and influence of the unionist propaganda i.e. it was fought bcs of slavery, but all in all it is a good book and I recommend it. Beware, maps are a must while reading this!!!

David S. Wyman: The Abandonment of the Jews is well written and easily read book on what the West (USA primarily) could have done, but passed the chance, in order to save at least several hundred thousands of Jews.

Viktor Suvorov: Spetsnaz, and I ve found an online edition for anyone interested:
http://militera.lib.ru/research/suvorov6/index.html
V.Suvorov: GRU is a great book about the Soviet military intel.

Max Hastings: Retribution is generally a good read on the last two years of the Pacific-Asian conflict, although there are a few errors, although nothing crucial. I really enjoyed a huge chapter about China and Burma.

Then a bit of repetition with J.S.Mill's On Liberty, and right now I am reading Quiet flows the Don (Mikhail Skholohov) after 15 years and enjoying it as much as the first time I've read it. Exclamation

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: