Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Also, I put the previously mentioned single battle in with the Games folder ... and is available via the User Scenario tab in ver1.1

130/Lehr counter attacks the Brit 185/3 at Bretteville.
The German side has Heavy support accompanying.
The Allies have Air support and both have a Mortar barrage

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

@ mooxe
Hi,
I submitted ver1.1 last night with the readme text in the description dialog box. When/if possible ... could you please add this mod to your TLD DL section with this text instead of the readme text? Thanks  Smile

Ground Tactics mod ver1.1
The Ground Tactics mod for TLD is an attempt to better simulate military tactics used by ground forces in Normandy.
The removal of Medium Mortars enables more infantry movement, and better scouting abilities are present with the addition of Recon Teams. Also, MG Teams seem to function more effectively with reduced Team sizes.
Heavy Support has been enabled in varying degrees for each side … all maps Allies, some maps Germans.
BG 901 Pz.Gr./Panzer Lehr has been replaced with 130 Pz./Panzer Lehr, and includes the addition of Tiger I's.
An extensive sound mod is also included, along with many other changes and adjustments to various aspects of the game. Please refer to the readme file (viewable after installation) for a complete list and additional notes.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:51 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Nice work...installed the mod and tried a couple of quick battles vs AI.
The data changes seem to make the AI more aggressive (maybe by lowering weapon ranges?)...awesome!

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote (View Post):
Nice work...installed the mod and tried a couple of quick battles vs AI.
The data changes seem to make the AI more aggressive (maybe by lowering weapon ranges?)...awesome!

Thanks for the comment.
Also, I don't think any work was done regarding weapon ranges (unless Pzt_Kanov did).
Maybe the AI seems more aggressive because they are no longer being suppressed by continuous Medium Mortar fire?

stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

just played the 130 lehr battle against the AI........the AI and the Fire Fly's kicked my butt!!!!!!!!
a FF at very long range with its butt turned to me nailed my tiger in 4 shots in a duel..... i hit the FF in the rear at least 4 times and no damage!!!!!!! my MK 4's faired no better against the FF and some shermans........hope this isnt shades of things to come!? the german heavy arty was nice tho....... Very Happy

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:21 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

stiener wrote (View Post):
just played the 130 lehr battle against the AI........the AI and the Fire Fly's kicked my butt!!!!!!!!
a FF at very long range with its butt turned to me nailed my tiger in 4 shots in a duel..... i hit the FF in the rear at least 4 times and no damage!!!!!!! my MK 4's faired no better against the FF and some shermans........hope this isnt shades of things to come!? the german heavy arty was nice tho....... Very Happy

hahaha ... you may have to bring more fire upon a single target for better success.
I think the Fire Fly did well against most German armor. I will admit the FF's in TLD can take a shot or two from a Tiger, which I'm not sure is accurate ... but then again, CC adds a roll of the dice to the calculation too, so there are chances for inaccurate firing. I noticed some shots exploding beside the tanks on occasion. Maybe the AI cheats a little too ... who knows.
It does make for an interesting battle though ... from either side.
There weren't any changes to armor data for this mod ... so it's based on TLD's data.
Also, the AI picks three FF's for this BG.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

from wikipedia

Despite this, the Fireflies increased firepower was much valued by British and Commonwealth tankers, and during many engagements, the Firefly proved its worth, knocking out the feared Tigers and Panthers at long range, as well as less formidable tanks like the Mark IVs and StuGs.

One example of this increased firepower was displayed by Lt. G.K Henry's Firefly during the defense of Norrey-en-Bessin on 9 June against an attack by the 3rd Company of the 12th SS Panzer Regiment of the 12th SS Panzer Division. Determined to capture the town in preparation for a larger offensive to drive the British and Canadians back into the sea, Kurt Meyer ordered an attack by 12 Panthers of the 3rd Company and infantry to attack Norrey-en-Bessin and drive the Canadians out of the town. The attack got underway at 1300 hours with the Panthers racing to the town at full speed only to stop to fire their guns, quickly outrunning their infantry support which was forced to ground by allied artillery fire. Within 1,000 m (1,100 yd) of the town, 9 Shermans of the 1st Hussars opened fire into the advancing Panthers flanks. Lt. Henry's gunner, Trooper A. Chapman, waited until the Panthers "lined up like ducks in a row" and quickly knocked out five German Panthers with just 6 rounds. The attack was repulsed with the loss of 7 of the 12 attacking Panthers, the majority credited to Lt. Henry's single Firefly.[7].

Another similar example occurred on 14 June, during Operation Perch, Sgt. Harris of the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards, along with three standard Shermans, set up defensive positions along with the infantry after successfully driving out the Germans in the village of Lingèvres, near Tilly-sur-Seulles. Looking through his binoculars, Sgt. Harris spotted two Panthers advancing from the east. He opened fire at a range of 800 metres (870 yd), knocking out the lead Panther with his first shot, and the second Panther with his second. Relocating to a new position on the other side of the town, he spotted another three Panthers approaching from the west. From his well-concealed flanking position, he and his gunner Trooper Mackillop eliminated all three with just three rounds. Harris and his gunner had knocked out five Panthers with as many rounds, once again demonstrating the potency of the Firefly, especially when firing from a defensive position on advancing enemy tanks.[3]
A Dutch Firefly

In perhaps its most famous action, a group of seven Tiger tanks from the 3rd Company and HQ Company, Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101 supported by several Panzer IV tanks and Stug IV assault guns were ambushed by Fireflies from A Squadron, 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, 33rd Armoured Brigade, A Squadron, the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment, 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade and B Squadron, The 144th Regiment Royal Armoured Corps, 33rd Armoured Brigade.[8][1][9][2][3]

Tanks of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry and elements of the 51st (Highland) Division reached the French village of Saint-Aignan-de-Cramesnil on the morning of 8 August 1944 during Operation Totalize.[10][11][12] While B Squadron stayed around the village, A and C Squadrons moved further south into a wood called Delle de la Roque.[13] C Squadron positioned themselves on the east side of the woods and the understrength A Squadron in the southern portion with No. 3 Troop on the western edge of the wood.[10][11][13] From this position, they overlooked a large open section of ground and were able to watch as German tanks advanced up Route nationale 158 from the town of Cintheaux. Under strict orders from the troop commander, they held their fire until the German tanks were well within range. Ekins, the gunner of Sergeant Gordon's Sherman Firefly (called Velikye Luki - A Squadrons tanks were named after towns in the Soviet Union) had yet to fire his gun in action.[13] With the Tiger tanks in range, the order was given to fire, what followed was an almost twelve minute battle that saw Ekins destroying all three Tigers that No. 3 Troop could see (there were actually 7 Tiger tanks in the area heading north along with some other tanks and self propelled guns).[10][11] A short time later, the main German counterattack was made in the direction of C Squadron. A Squadron (less Sgt Gordon who had been wounded and had already bailed out of the Firefly) moved over to support them and in the resulting combat, Ekins destroyed a Panzer IV before his tank was hit and the crew were forced to bail out.[13] One of the Tigers Ekins is credited with knocking out was that of Michael Wittmann, though there is still some controversy over whether Ekins really killed Wittman as Fireflies of the Sherbrooke Fuisilier Regiment were also firing at the Tigers from a closer range of 150 m (160 yd).

stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

YA.....ive read those accounts before. im not disputing the fact the FF and 17pdr were a deadly weapon. the 17PDR was.
if the 17 pdr could get the drop on the tigers and panthers it could win the duel. the problem is that a FF is still a sherman. very under armoured. 1 hit from an 88 or a 75 mm from a MK 4 or a panther and there toast. GJS reflects the allied and german armour and gun penetrations very well....in TLD...im not so sure. a sherman or FF should not live from a hit from an 88 or 75mm from any range. especially in the rear end.
so far my tank vs tank play testing in TLD shows that the allied shermans are favored in the tank duels. im guessing that the penetrations values are wrong? theres definatly something wierd up tho.

the account of wittmans tiger being destroyed from a BR FF has now been proven wrong. wittmans tiger was knocked out by a canadian sherman from the sherbrooke fusilers not a FF. and at fairly close range [ 143 m ] from a shot to the left side rear engine compartment. from the west end of that battle field. it has been proven that the sherbrooke fusilers were not in the area that reports thought they were in and were in a position that they could bring fire on wittman from the flank at close range.

RD Steiner

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

wurger

Rep: 1.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

yeah, from my exp in the mod, the 88mm isn't effective against the FF at all...

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:22 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

I agree with you guys, an 88 should take out a Sherman/FF first shot ... no more than two.

Changing armor values is above my pay scale, so will have to leave it as is ... unless it's possible to import data from GJS.
A simple fix would be to just decrease Sherman/FF protection ... but finding the area of data that is associated with this problem would be best (armor, gun penetrations, chance of hit, etc).

Thanks for the feedback

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

This mod focus was on the infantry team composition and other small changes and corrections, weapons values and armor were not altered even though I agree they are a bit off. I had a chance to look at WaR data and for example, rifles there have half the penetration values than on TLD. I have not compared cannons and armor yet.

Maybe after a patch that corrects some serious bugs in the game there would be an update to the mod, I am already working on weapon values and have corrected only the small arms for now, lowered their kill rating and their range also made the snipers deadlier like on GJS and hid their muzzle flash. also added squadleader_id's PG uniform conversion from GJS that is already included with the official patch but that the game doesn't use for some reason, new voices for SS pzcrews and PG foot soldiers too taking advantage of the fact that they are using another nation slot, made the soldiers heavier, but not by much so they tire faster and move a bit slower.

But tweaking the heavy weapons and armor would take a considerable amount of time, I'm in no way an expert on that regard though I have a great source that papa_whisky posted on the modding forum here Weapons Performance table WW 2. Anyways taking the mod that far away will take a lot of effort and time.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:39 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):

Maybe after a patch that corrects some serious bugs in the game there would be an update to the mod, I am already working on weapon values and have corrected only the small arms for now, lowered their kill rating and their range also made the snipers deadlier like on GJS and hid their muzzle flash.

Ahh...I thought this was already implemented when you posted about them...my mistake.

Quote:

...also added squadleader_id's PG uniform conversion from GJS that is already included with the official patch but that the game doesn't use for some reason, new voices for SS pzcrews and PG foot soldiers too taking advantage of the fact that they are using another nation slot, made the soldiers heavier, but not by much so they tire faster and move a bit slower.

Glad that you found those unused uniforms values. Smile
One more thing...I've noticed a very minor error...you've forgotten to include the GSUNIT gadget for the Tiger.

Pls check your PM, davidssfx & Pzt_Kanov...

One more thing...I've noticed a very minor error...you've forgotten to include the GSUNIT gadget for the Tiger.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:54 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Thanks ... I thought I'd got them all.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:51 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

The Tiger was not used in TLD thus there could be issues with its data.

But after taking a quick look at the data the Tiger shouldn't usually have a problem taking out a Sherman/Firefly unless it is using HE shells.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:00 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
The Tiger was not used in TLD thus there could be issues with its data.

But after taking a quick look at the data the Tiger shouldn't usually have a problem taking out a Sherman/Firefly unless it is using HE shells.

Hi Tejszd,
Thanks for posting your findings.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

I'll update with a new version (soon) due to a missed icon ... and a couple of other things.
That should be it till after the next Matrix patch ... or when ever (which ever comes first, lol).
Also, a new main screen ...

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:38 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Ground Tactics ver1.2

http://uploading.com/files/6919344c/CCTLDModGroundTacticsv1.2.zip/

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Great main screen! I like it very much. Also, why is the dl not available here? no word from mooxe?

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:54 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

And regarding FF's and Sherman against German Tiger and Pz IV ... after more testing it seems you can knock out a Sherman with a single Tiger round.
TLD data may be OK after all. I think some of the advantage for FF/Sherman is not the data, but how the AI deploys them. Either from bdhind a hedge or hull down, etc. If you walk into their preferred deployment ... then it will take more shots to take 'em out. But if you drawn them out to neutral type settings ... things seem to even out.
Just a thought anyway.
Some roll of the dice CC calculations end up making things seem inaccurate at times ... but for the most part, I think it's OK.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Great main screen! I like it very much. Also, why is the dl not available here? no word from mooxe?

I'm not sure where mooxe is ... haven't seen him around here lately. Maybe he's busy.
Just as well the GT mod didn't get put in the DL section right away anyway ... since I've made mistakes that needed to be corrected.Hopefully it's OK now.

I submitted 1.2 to mooxe ...
I hope all is well with him

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: