Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1247
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
x54abc

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:49 pm Post subject: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

Forgive me, I am certain this has been discussed a 1000 times on here but can anyone help me?  I can't seem to figure out what the close combat teams represent - sections(squads) or teams/groups?

It seems to me that they are either heavily depleted sections (presumably due to casualties) or inaccurately constructed teams.

For example - to my knowledge (which is limited) a German post 1943 squad should consist of a leader, a 6 man rifle group and a 2 man MG42 group.  I assume in game this is represented by a 5 man gren team and a 4 man gren(mg) team?  Indeed the automatic groups of all nations seem to be beefed up if this is the case.

Another one - US Airbourne section mid 1944 to 1945 seemed to have a leader, a 7 man rifle group and a 4 man automatic group.  This appears to be represented in game with a 6 man rifle group(with BAR) and a 6 man infantry(mg) group.

The British sections seem to be the same - with a 5 man Bren group which should only be 3 (I think) and a small 5 man rifle team.

If the units do represent teams then this would also mean that the 3 platoons in the active roster are not in fact full platoons.  A British platoon would require a total of at least 10 units according to my calculation (2 units for each of the 4 rifle sections + command + light mortar).

If on the other hand the in-game units represent depleted sections (i.e. actual numbers in the field taking into account casualties) then why are the rifle teams turning up without their automatic weapons?  A depleted British section would surely hang on to it's Bren and not just chuck it because the gunner died, yet 50% of the British rifle units don't have a Bren.

I am not an expert and may well have missed something obvious, but can anyone explain this all to me?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

I think it represents a very depleted Company and as you say, the MG and rifle components have been separated since CC1 I believe. In CCMarines you get to use 3 of the current companies made of 15 units in the format that you see since CC4, so that would be 45 units on your side though you can only control 15.

The gameplay suffers with 10 man teams which is the limit in CC and was used in CC3 as well as some mods.

x54abc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment.

So are you saying that you think each CC unit represents an entire squad/section's combat strength?  I am trying to figure out what the base level units (ie the 4 to 6 man teams) are meant to represent.

If this is what you are saying then why do we have rifle sections without Brens/MG42s? Is this just an artificial construct to create some variation for the game?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 pm Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

I'm saying that squads are separated in two entities in most cases, the rifle men and the SAW/LMG group of the squad, they are understrength because of gameplay, 7 men per squad is the most manageable I guess, not to mention that the game screens are fitted for 7 men max despite the possibility of having up to 10 men per squad.

It would be nice to have complete squads and be able to separate them into Rifle/MG teams while in-game, something for the future maybe. More than 15 units would be welcome too.

x54abc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

But if a section is represented by 2 units/teams as you say (which I agree is probably the case) then there are actually too many, not too few, men in the automatic groups by late WW2 standards as far as I can tell.  

As I said above a german rifle squad should be a 7 man team and a 2 man lmg team (in game it is a 5 man team + 4 man team).

Likewise US Airbourne squad should be an 8 man team and a 4 man mg team (in game it is 2 x 6 man teams).

I think the British section should be a 7 man team + 3 man Bren team (I think in game this is 2 x 5 man teams).

You are right though, it does result in slightly larger rifle teams but I think the historical team sizes are all manageable in CC.  The largest is an eight man team which is a little big but there are many 7 man teams in CC I recall.

Maybe you are right though.  Maybe they just wanted to split a section down the middle to create 2 equally sized teams as they felt it would be more ballanced for gameplay.  Still seems a pity that it isn't historically accurate (someone will prove me wrong here I'm sure!).

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

I suggest that you check out Dima's GJS TRSM for more historically correct teams.
"Vanilla CC" teams (incl. the rereleases) are always...umm...a bit odd.

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:18 am Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

Maybe our years long rambling will be heard and a future, totally new concepted, CC will be more flexible with the amount of units to play with. Flexible would be to have, say 200 single infanrtrymen as a maximum for each side for the game engine divded into squads of any size, according to historical outlines and BGs (in game) would cover roughly an infantry company of WWII. The entire BG forcepool would be a battalion for instance. That would be welcomed by modders, I´m sure.

The 10men units in CC3 were mostly used by the russioan side to dispaly the "human wave tactics".  Rolling Eyes

diggin

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

x54abc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:33 am Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

A user friendly modding interface, within the scenario editor, in which you can easily mod team and BG composition would solve all problems in my opinion.  A few clicks and you could create anything you wanted be it historical teams or game-friendly teams.  I have a dream...

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a dream...

Join the club...

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:03 pm Post subject: Re: What do close combat teams represent? Reply with quote

vonB wrote (View Post):
Join the club...

Exactly!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

Jump to: