Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1244
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Author
emgee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:23 am Post subject: Fave WWII Film Reply with quote

Possibly the best WWII film ever is a Russian one called 'Come and Play'. Spielberg certainly stole the 'bullet' idea and used it in Saving Private Ryan. It might be little slow and tedious to you rough and tumble guys out there but is stunning for its portrayal of civilians - kids - caught up in war. You are not going to get much gear or heavy action, well, apart from the end, but you will get a movie Hollywood could never make, and a kid with a voice the devil would be proud of.

There is some story that the director almost killed the actors getting what he wanted but, by the results, I think at the end you might just think it was worthwhile!

After that I go to the extreme opposite and rate Kelly's Heroes purely for the attempt at trying to create a Tiger tank. So fed up with T.34/85s or American tanks being used.

I find it interesting that so many rate Saving Private Ryan. The action is brilliant, no argument, but as a film? It is more like a computer game with different little scenarios to be sorted before going on to the next stage. Rather emotionless in the end.

Pz_Meyer

Rep: 0.4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my favorite in the wrong thread but my favorite all time film is The Eagle Has Landed and even though I didn't like the ending of Enemy at the Gates it still was entertaining, maybe Dima can tell us if the duel in Stalingrad really happened.

emgee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's 'Come and See' not 'come and play' (Idi i smotri). I see that any comment on it usually has the word 'essential' attached and that someone has put up chunks on You Tube, go take a look. And yes, it is essential.

kweniston

Rep: 57.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw 'Hell to Eternity' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053901/), a gem from 1960, not to confuse with 'From Here to Eternity' . It's a film about the marine PFC Guy Gabaldon, The Pied Piper of Saipan. From living with his foster parents, he knew how to speak Japanese, and using that he singlehandedly made hundreds of Japanese soldiers surrender. He Received the Navy Cross, but should've gotten a MoH for that (imho).

It's a bloody film, certainly more bloody than contemporary pieces, but it's always brought in a very strong emotional context. Impressive. One of the best American WWII films i've seen.

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Der Untergang or Stalingrad
Can´t really decide. Have seen those both maybe 2000 times. This is something you don´t want to share in a bar when trying to hit some girl.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

kweniston

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I know no women at all who like war movies. My theory is that they all feel like a mother inside and imagine how they would feel losing a son or a brother. Action movies with hundreds of deaths, no problem, but films about actual war are 'a bridge too far'.

sample

Rep: 59.6
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

emgee wrote:
Sorry, it's 'Come and See' not 'come and play' (Idi i smotri). I see that any comment on it usually has the word 'essential' attached and that someone has put up chunks on You Tube, go take a look. And yes, it is essential.

hi emgee

i've seen the movie many years ago and impressed me a lot;

best regards

www.mihaisurdea.com

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, well worth buying or renting (if you can find it)!
Assembly.
Post WW2 China (the civil war between the communists and the nationalist forces of the Kuomintang)...well made movie and the battles are SPR/BoB inspired.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881200/

KGPeiper

Rep: 25.5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pz_Meyer wrote:
(...)Enemy at the Gates it still was entertaining, maybe Dima can tell us if the duel in Stalingrad really happened.

Well, from Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad" we know that German unhappy with too-good performance from Wassilij Wink send to Stalingrad one of theirs best Scharfschutze (but as far as I remember it wasn't major Koenig) to hunt down that 'hero of Soviet Union'. German failed in his endeavour as Wassilij was still unbeaten and adds to his tally Smile

Coneybeare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Has nobody mentioned the movie Beach Red? I loved it Smile

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Come and See is my favourite World War Two movie. It's dark, demonic and merciless towards the viewer.

kweniston wrote:
I know no women at all who like war movies. My theory is that they all feel like a mother inside and imagine how they would feel losing a son or a brother. Action movies with hundreds of deaths, no problem, but films about actual war are 'a bridge too far'.

My mother likes war movies Smile .

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

MajorDefect

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Talvisota (Winter War) immensely.

RISadler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Train to Munich

kweniston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorDefect wrote:

I watched Talvisota this week, and it's excellent. I'm gonna have to start watching even more war movies now, because the genre keeps surprising me with its quality. No other film genre puts so many emotions a man can experience right in the face of the audience. It's a universal genre, and it's being done by all kinds of historic directors all over the world. And while watching, in the meantime, you'll learn something about history too, and countries and its people(s).

I have Battaglia di'Algeri and Idi i Smatri ready for watching sometime soon.

(Go see '9 Rota' if you want to watch a good Russian film about the Afghanistan war (of the 80's).

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come and See (Idi i smotri)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/
Definetely my top3 WWII movie. I like the atmosphere, really melancholy.
And that little guy with his backpack and rifle.

Quote:
Assembly (Ji jie hao)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881200/
I think this is first chinese movie I have ever seen. I doubted first that it´ll be a communist propaganda, but it wasn´t. I liked this one too.

Quote:
Europa Europa

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/
Good one. 5/5

Quote:
The 9th Company (9 rota)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/
Again one russian made movie. Good one too. Russian Afganistan war. Worth looking.
This is about 9th company and Assembly was aswell about 9th company hhmmm..

Quote:
The Battle of Algiers (La Battaglia di Algeri)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/
This looked like documentary. All the time I feeled like I was watching authentic footage.
Very good one.
P.S. Didn´t know Monoprix was that old company Smile

Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/
I don´t know if already posted but about Korean war. You should check this one if you haven´t seen it yet.

Thank you for recommending above movies Smile

Quote:

I like it very much too. Especially different dialects you hear there. Too bad they can´t translate that.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

Treeburst

Rep: 20.8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:11 am Post subject: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Reply with quote

First - A film I only saw once, and have not seen it in the video shops - 'Big Red 1', about the US 1st army. A great movie, and realistic. A bit of a prelude to Band of Brothers, following the exploits of a platoon of the 1st through WWII.

After that, Second - The Longest Day.

Third - Thin Red Line

Fourth - Saving Private Ryan.

Fifth - All Quiet on the Western Front (WW1)

Another new one made in Australia - Beneath Hill 60 (WW1). A great movie about a team of Aussie miners recruited to complete the work of undermining Hill 60 on the German front in WW1. The biggest man-made explosion before nuclear weapons killed tens of thousands of Germans in one go and shortened the war by months.

yuma

Rep: 11.6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote (View Post):
Come and See is my favourite World War Two movie. It's dark, demonic and merciless towards the viewer.

kweniston wrote:

My mother likes war movies Smile .

Agreed about Come and See

My sleeper pick:  The Train

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:24 pm Post subject: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Reply with quote

Quote:
Agreed about Come and See

then you should watch The Brest Fortress Smile.

verba

Rep: 16.9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 pm Post subject: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Reply with quote

Hands down : A bridge too far!

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 am Post subject: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Reply with quote

Going to watch Come and See tonite.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to: