Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:13 am Post subject: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on the pisciculture pounds at Ermeton-sur-biert, in Belgium... primarily did the exist during ww2 or anything else anyone can tell me

http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/226/402937336.2.JPG

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

I will try to have more informations.

southern_land

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

cool thanks

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

is it for a new map? It seems that this pisciculture is rather new.

southern_land

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

Hi, its for a WW 2 era map.  So you think the ponds are more recent?  I'm guessing because on the contour it was a river or stream orignally?  maybe drained or diverted into a canal?  might eraze the ponds and go with the later?

wjgo

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

This is the spot of your picture in Google naps.  50.288469,4.711986  just copy and paste the coordinates into google maps and look for the green arrow.

To me, it appears to be a reservoir systems.  The google picture shows everything to be either dry or half empty.  But the map view shows tributaries, that can not be detected in the sat view.  So I am guessing that a rainy season will fill up the reservoirs and tributaries and then they are used to irrigate the locale crops and farm fields, and will dry out.  Something like this, would seem like an old traditional thing to do without modern irrigation methods.  They almost look like rice paddies.  Maybe something is even grown in them.  Are you sure they are fish ponds?  The google sat maps shows them either dry or half empty, and not at all like your picture, which is why the appear to be a seasonal thing, but I don't fish, nor do I farm.

wjgo

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:36 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

This is what I found;

OREYE décanteurs sucrerie  picture

decanteurs

That picture looks like alot of the google sat pictures and the author named the subject, searching for the subject and gdoing a google translation of those pages into english;

basins for sugar beet washingbasin for sugar beet washing

another result

Which lead me to this; a 1913 manual for Sugar Beet Growers:  the cached version is easier to search  cached version

normal linknormal version

Do a search for basin or "methods of irrigation" it discusses a check system, and then describes the basins, and does a good job of describing what we see in those pictures.

So - I say its for sugar beet farming, from french picture titles, other french descriptions on a map, and a 1913 farming manual.  So - I would say these basins could very well have been there since WWII.

Elsewhere on the web you can find that sugar beets is basically the sole source of sugar for belgium, and that production has only slowed down slightly.  I found a export graph of sugar beets, and Belgium had major spikes of sugar beets in the 60's-70's.  Before and after that time, virtually no exports.  They either had a good crop, low demand, or Europe had a high demand for sugar at that time.  So, that time period would have been an incentive to expand sugar beet farming.

You would have to know someone with direct knowledge of the geography to know what was there in WWII.  Soldier happening upon it probably would not know what the basins were for.  But I would say its most likely those basins have been there for a long time.

Dauphin

Rep: 12.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:55 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

They are certainly far more older.
Those ponds are used store extra water in case of heavy rain to prevent flooding of downstream aeras.

southern_land

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:46 am Post subject: Re: Ermeton-sur-biert, pisciculture Reply with quote

thanks for your replies guys, yeah finding lots of references to Ermeton-sur-biert and pisciculture that I'm taking to mean fish farming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aD8Msb-44s   1:30 are the ponds... also a lot more elevation that i expected

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: