Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Author
ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
Not quiet following which of those countries directly responsible for not stopping A.Hitler when they had the chance to, comment .

that's simple - UK and France Wink
LOL, thought you said you were'nt trolling anymore  Wink  Razz

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL, thought you said you were'nt trolling anymore

Do you think there were other countries as well?

Blackstump

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:01 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

[/quote]
that's simple - UK and France Wink[/quote]
Ahh i see the funny side now....Duplicity being explicit....
I sometimes wonder what the leaders thought, when they pronounced war against Germany in those early days, knowing that at that moment they would struggle to produce an army to match the threat...
Maybe J. Stalin was a clever boy? amongst other things...

"percute et percute velociter"

ArmeeGruppeSud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:16 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
LOL, thought you said you were'nt trolling anymore

Do you think there were other countries as well?
LOL, you  Twisted Evil  wont seduce me that easily  Wink  i'll let somebody else take the bait  Razz

cheers

AGS

_____

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Dima

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:13 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Quote:

recently have read some of General Beaufre memoirs, who was captain then and part of the French mission to Moscow in August 1939, and he clearly states that the Anglo-French mission was not in position for a solid treaty with USSR.
In August he was also sent to Warsaw to help persuade the Polish allowing the Red Army to help them - was rejected by the Polish as they thought they could manage that themselves with a help of UK and France.
And that guy was never pro-soviet/russian, he used to be the chief of the general staff of the Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers in Europe and behind the idea of a nuke attack on Moscow.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder what the leaders thought, when they pronounced war against Germany in those early days, knowing that at that moment they would struggle to produce an army to match the threat...

when they pronounced war against Germany, they had huge advantage in troops and war materials as the main German forces were around Poland.

Quote:

if he wasn't, it would be him shot in 1937 not his rivals Smile.

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:43 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Blackstump wrote (View Post):

Like Dima said, French army was large enough to deal with the Germans, and some helf from the Britain would make things even look better. German tanks were no match for French ones,, and were fewer in numbers. Combines franco-british airforce considerably outweighed the Luftwaffe, but as it was to show a year later, they lacked a will to fight.

But, why focusing on the outbreak of ww2? France could have, and if she lived to her INTERNATIONAL OBLIGATIONS, as per international treaty, should have beaten the Germans in the time of crisis in Czechoslovakia. Stalin stood by the treaty signed with Czechoslovakia, and was ready, in spite of the French bailing out on their responsiblities, to aid Beneš with first-line troops of the Red Army, but Beneš decided to give in when Czechoslovakia Agrarian Party declared that it will start a civil war if the Soviets were allowed to come in...

GB had no treaty with Czechoslovakia, but if Chamberlain held his ground and ran some other policy instead the appeasement one, he might have inflicted pressure enough of France to hold to her international treaties.

Those are the main reasons why I am against the date of 23 August being "a Europe-wide Day of Remembrance for the victims of all totalitarian and authoritarian regimes". Undoubtly it is a nice thing to remember the victims of Stalinism alongside those of the Nazis, but the ww2 didn't start because of Stalin-Hitler non-aggression pact, and it was only a tactical move on part of both sides, aimed to buy some time before the inevitable showdown. The much better date would be 29 September, as far as I am concerned.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

But the French did invade Germany in 1939, and what a pathetic attempt it was.

ArmeeGruppeSud

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:07 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Its a shame this thread has been inadvertaintly hijacked into a historical debate  Rolling Eyes

Maybe some posts should be removed and put into their own thread e.g.:
"Who could have stopped Hitler in 1939".

Just to remain thread-relevant, i did religiously watch the British "World at War" series back in the 70s and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The Brits are very good at doing war docos (without making it look like they won the war single handed)  Razz

cheers

AGS

_____

RIP

RedScorpion

Rep: 11.7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

kawasaky wrote (View Post):
Those are the main reasons why I am against the date of 23 August being "a Europe-wide Day of Remembrance for the victims of all totalitarian and authoritarian regimes". Undoubtly it is a nice thing to remember the victims of Stalinism alongside those of the Nazis, but the ww2 didn't start because of Stalin-Hitler non-aggression pact, and it was only a tactical move on part of both sides, aimed to buy some time before the inevitable showdown. The much better date would be 29 September, as far as I am concerned.

There are many dates one could put forward. The 7th of december 1941 is another good one since the war really became global with that one. 22 june 1941 could be another good date if one is looking to commemorate victims, as most of the dying was done on eastern soil.

ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
Just to remain thread-relevant, i did religiously watch the British "World at War" series back in the 70s and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I also enjoyed the World at war series as well. Definitely the best series regarding the war, so much great photography - I especially recall the colour scene from Midway - but add to that all the great interviews from civilians and generals. Its easy to realise the budgets for tv-producitons were huge back in those days, compared to all the crap they produce now for a nickel or two.

Ceci tuera cela

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:28 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
Its a shame this thread has been inadvertaintly hijacked into a historical debate  Rolling Eyes

Maybe some posts should be removed and put into their own thread e.g.:
"Who could have stopped Hitler in 1939".

The Brits are very good at doing war docos (without making it look like they won the war single handed)  Razz

cheers

AGS

_____

Well it has always been a contentious debate as to who could have , should have or might have been able to prevent the ascent of Hitler long before Dima started.  My 2 cents is the Treaty of Versailles itself was the blame, which was basically an act of vengence by the French and English...also the failure of the League of Nations.  America was too divided internally to support it.

Re: War at War...I am really looking forward to my DVD collection from Borders on this series.  It has been shown rarely on U.S. television and I was a bit too young to remember it back in the 70's.   Victory at Sea DVD collection will also be a gem.  I do remember this (American) documentary from the 50's being shown on television here all the way until the early 80's.  

Yes you are totally right about the Brit's.   The British are very much into history and documentaries...they take history much more seriously than anyone else it seems.  I admire their dedication to studying the classics, Gibbons on the fall of Rome, etc.  America is decent with the Smithsonian and strong college programs but the Brit's pretty much are the masters.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

papa_whisky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

The thing that will make the world at war series last forever is the interviews. The collection of interviews was a great feat telling the story from all sides, these will remain a historical record in their own right. I watched it when it first came out and have the dvd collection. Its only weakness now is the amount of new information and historical research that is now available that has come out since that date.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Battle of Britain 2011

http://youtu.be/VeeSzb1z1fU

battlebritain.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.81 KB
 Viewed:  14877 Time(s)

battlebritain.jpg

Close Combat's most infamous SOB

Last edited by US_Brake on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ArmeeGruppeSud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

US_Brake wrote (View Post):
Battle of Britain 2011

Link
Saw this doco on SBS or ABC recently, it was interesting.

Still, i think the Battle of Britain movie was BRILLIANT and is definately still in the TOP TEN war movies of all time (if not top 5), awe shucks, maybe its just THE best.

Pretty much a documentry re-enactment

Certainly a fantastic movie for its time

Cheers

AGS

_____

RIP

papa_whisky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

The link was not to the classic film battle of Britain, which I watched awestruck as a boy, but to a documentary and certainly good to watch. I think though the classic film said it all.

Dima

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:51 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Highly recommended for all who wants to know EF without Cold War myths:

http://www.militaryhistory.co.uk/shows/soviet-storm--world-war-ii-in-the-east/about.html

Episode guide:

http://www.militaryhistory.co.uk/shows/soviet-storm--world-war-ii-in-the-east/episode-guide.html#bottomOfHeader

Star Media’s CEO, Vlad Ryashin, said: “We are very excited about these deals and feel honored to be working with such a prestigious broadcaster as HISTORY. Our new 18-episode docudrama Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East will be presented at MIPCOM. The original docudrama was made in collaboration with Channel One Russia, and it was a huge success with Russian TV viewers. The series uses the latest state-of-the-art technology combining stunning 3D-animation with dramatic live-action reconstruction and historic library footage. Today’s viewer is not so interested in straightforward documentary newsreel, however, which is why we use it with limitations in our project—the main focus being on ‘modern imagery’ that made Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East so special and unique. We believe that it will be very popular internationally. Without any political themes, this docudrama deals, purely and simply, with facts about one of the most bloody wars in history.”

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Shame on the U.S. History Channel for not airing this programme.  Soviet Storm is only scheduled to be shown in the U.K.  It's almost as if they want to keep us Americans dumbed-down on purpose and think that the entire war was won and lost at D-Day.  : )

Re:  "Apocalypse The Second World War"  I can not recommend anyone purchase.   Although the colourization and image quality is excellent...  The claim that 50% of footage is new, seems inaccurate.  Maybe they show a 1 or 2 second clips of civilian film footage that is new.  When they show actual military footage it is the same clips shown on every other documentary.  Not only that but they show only 10 seconds of footage on average for each major battle.  Crete was maybe 3 seconds and nothing new.  I do give them credit for the colourization and image quality...but otherwise not worth the expensive price at all.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:59 pm Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Couple of nice Wehrmacht clips. If viewed in Youtube can be seen in higher def (720p). The guy who uploaded those has plenty more in his channel.

Link

Link

US_Brake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Vietnam in HD

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRe8OQs9lzYT_XxgRlA8z1A

vietnamHD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.51 KB
 Viewed:  15501 Time(s)

vietnamHD.jpg

Last edited by US_Brake on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:14 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Nice videos.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:37 am Post subject: Re: War Documentaries Reply with quote

Targeting Bin Laden

Link

targetingbinladen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.3 KB
 Viewed:  15496 Time(s)

targetingbinladen.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: