Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1241
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:27 pm Post subject: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

I was told to use the new CC2tool to edit COI Artwork.

After much searching.... I found the CC2tool. The CCS download section or CCS search was no help (toolbox is located under WAR files list)  I had to go to google which gave me the link back here to the tool.
CC2 tool

Now I have it, but I have had no luck getting the images unpack so I can edit them in paint.

I've spent hours trying different things, nothing, just files which cannot be viewed.

Can anyone help me make this work?

I am not the only player that wants to edit CC3/COI artwork, If I can figure this out I can help them. Thanks.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

sample

Rep: 59.6
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

US_Brake wrote (View Post):

After much searching.... I found the CC2tool. The CCS download section or CCS search was no help (toolbox is located under WAR files list)  I had to go to google which gave me the link back here to the tool.
CC2 tool

Now I have it, but I have had no luck getting the images unpack so I can edit them in paint.

I've spent hours trying different things, nothing, just files which cannot be viewed.

I am not the only player that wants to edit CC3/COI artwork, If I can figure this out I can help them. Thanks.

CC2Spriter v2.95, also made by Mafi for various cc3/coi files: i use it for our project

http://closecombat2.npage.de/

www.mihaisurdea.com

thumb

Rep: 5.9
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:32 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

US_Brake wrote (View Post):

CC2 tool

If "no luck/nothing" means exactly that then, using LSA's CCImages.pix file as an example, this is what you need to do:

1. Launch CC2Tools v5.02 > 1a. Click the CC3-CC5-RTB Graphics button > 2. Click the CCImages.pix button > 2a. browse to the COI \GRAPHICS folder > 3. select CCImages.pix > 4. specify an output folder for the unpacked images and the tool will unpack the various game screens in CCImages.pix as .TGA files

However, the phrase "just files which cannot be viewed" indicates you have had some "luck" and have gotten more than "nothing" from using the tool and that you have a folder similar to '4' full of unpacked game screen files. If so then the problem is that youre trying to use MS Paint which cant open .TGA images. Use the RTB Tool (File>Graphic File Format Conversion) to convert those .TGAs to .BMP or .JPEG so you can open them in Paint.

MS paint is the digital equivilent of a box of crayons. If youre serious about doing CC graphics I suggest acquiring a real graphics tool like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or even GIMP.

CC2Tool.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.34 KB
 Viewed:  10671 Time(s)

CC2Tool.jpg

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

Thanks for the step by step.

I followed that, and got these errors after selecting an empty folder to convert them to.

-file format may be wrong, header found

-out of bounds: can handle only 1500 entries max.

Note: when I go to GRAPHICS it does not show .pix next to CCImages.

Photoshop would be nice. I used to have a older version of it on my old PC.I will dl GIMP

000037.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.69 KB
 Viewed:  10658 Time(s)

000037.jpg

000038.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.05 KB

000038.jpg

000039.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.01 KB

000039.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

thumb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:11 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

You said you had "no luck getting the images unpack".
Like the button says (CCImages.pix->TGA) - the CC2Tools will unpack CCImages.pix.
Youre clearly trying to unpack another graphics file.
Different tools unpack different files.
The RTB Tool will unpack the .GDG and .AZP files.

To enable file extensions:

Open Windows Explorer > click Tools > click Folder Options > select View tab > uncheck Hide extensions for known file types > click Apply to Folders > Click Yes > Click Apply > click OK

Ext.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.4 KB
 Viewed:  10645 Time(s)

Ext.jpg

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

Thanks thumb. I followed your instructions.... I see CCImages as a .fx file now so I have converted it CCImages.fx file to .tga files.

With GIMP, I can now edit them. So after I alter the artwork, I will just need to reverse the process?

thumb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

It should say CCImages.pix. You sure it doesnt say CCImages.pix?

Reversing the process isnt that simple with GIMP.
GIMP doesnt save .TGAs in the 16 bit uncompressed format necessary. (PS & PSP do)
Save your GIMP edits as either .BMP or .JPG
Use RTBtool to convert them to  (16 bit uncompressed) .TGA
Then use RTBtool to repack the edited .TGAs
A quick QA is to compare the file size of an edited .TGA image to its unpacked counterpart.
ie. if your graphics editing or save process changes the image file size the repacked game file aint gonna work

Yea, the RTBtool un/re packs CCImages.pix too. Seeing that you already had CC2Tools I tried to keet it simple.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 pm Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

It shows up as fx for me.

I found the 16 bit issue.

Here I was able to use PAINT to convert my big red one splashscreen to 16 bit but the result is a dramatic change to the image.

If converting this alters the image so much I may be better starting with 16 bit artwork?

1conversionfail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.96 KB
 Viewed:  10628 Time(s)

1conversionfail.jpg

thumb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

It shows as CCImages.fx because youre editing CC3 not CoI like you said at the beginning.

No way in Hades that MS Paint will save anything as a 16 bit .TGA. Suspect you saved as a 16 color bitmap (.bmp). Not the same. 16 colors is 4 bit (2x2x2x2 = 16). 16 bit is 65536 colors (2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 65536)

If you insist on using MS Paint, save as .JPG or 24 bit .BMP, then use RTBtool to convert to .TGA, then repack

Paint.jpg
 Description:
What not to do...
 Filesize:  28.8 KB
 Viewed:  10622 Time(s)

Paint.jpg

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:26 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

I am editing coi, you have to go thru program files/close combat/close combat III to go to coi. CC3 is program files/microsoft games/close combat III.

I have GIMP now.

Ok time to find this RTBtool...

What it is: RtBTool is a modding tool for *.mpi, *.gdg,
*.azp, *.pix and *.tex files of the games CC4/CC5/CCM/RtB/
CCMT, CC:WaR, CC:TLD and the latest version: CC:RtA.

not finding a convert to TGA on this tool...

The good news is I can unpack and now edit the artwork.

DAK_Legion may have Photoshop. If I edit these as we need for our project in GIMP then maybe he can properly converted them.

thumb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:20 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

The RTBtool is available at Mafi's site just by following the CC2tool link you posted.

Converting to/from 16 bit .TGA is shown below...

RTBtool.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.92 KB
 Viewed:  10605 Time(s)

RTBtool.jpg

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

OK I can what your saying and it seems easy to understand.

To test I use GIMP and cut a square from wf spashcreen tga and pasted it on the stock coi splashscreen tga, then when I go to repack it with CC2Tools I get this error:

one or more images are not it 16-bit encoded:file Img0000.tga is a 32-bit RLE-compressed, True-color Image. Operation stopped.

repackattempt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.39 KB
 Viewed:  10595 Time(s)

repackattempt.jpg

thumb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:04 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

After you "pasted it on the stock coi splashscreen tga" then what?

You should save the now edited CoI splashscreen as a .BMP or .JPG,
use RTBtool to convert the .BMP/.JPG back to 16 bit uncompressed .TGA,
put the edited CoI splashscreen.tga back in the unpacked CCImages .TGA files folder,
and repack that folder with RTBtool back into a game-ready CCImages.fx file

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help Thumb.

I can't seem to repack anything once I edit anything still, but I will keep trying. If I can't maybe DAK_Legion will be able to convert the TGAs to 16 and repack back into a CCimages file.

hurdlecow.jpg
 Description:
One more hurdle
 Filesize:  11.22 KB
 Viewed:  10577 Time(s)

hurdlecow.jpg

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:38 am Post subject: Re: Using CC2tool to edit COI Artwork Reply with quote

Hi Brake!

The extension for files of GRAPHICS in CC3/CoI is .FX

That's your mistake/ERROR.

Try This.......................

CCimages .PIX for CC4,CC5,CCWAR,CCTLD or CCLSA

but NEVER CC3/CoI

only that.....no RTBtooll

CC2TOOLS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.7 KB
 Viewed:  10568 Time(s)

CC2TOOLS.jpg

heia Safari!!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: