Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1240
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:05 am Post subject: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Some close up photos too, notice the condition of the timber deck in #15

http://framework.latimes.com/2012/05/13/battleship-iowas-final-journey/#/1

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:13 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Slide 14...you meant.  Interesting they chose San Pedro / Los Angeles as museum site.  I've been to the Missouri at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii...the ship where the Japanese signed their surrender.  Not many Battleships left to see in the world...amazing to see these ships in person.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

dj

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Just arrived in Port this morning and is all over the local television news...it is awesome to have the Iowa permanently docked in my home town.

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 am Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

I toured the HMS Belfast when I was in London, only a cruiser though so you win.

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 am Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Great Photos... Thanks...!

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Thank for photos Grunt.

Its good its becoming a museum.

dj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:14 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

I wonder if there are any Battleships left in Europe?  The Royal Navy maybe has one left?

The Iowa looked amazing shown on High-Def television taken from cameras at sea level on small boats.  They had a team of divers cleaning the hull in preps before docking as museum.  The TV cameras on small boats really gave a good perspective of how massive the Battleship is.

As I recall only the Japanese made larger Battleship than these late-war U.S. ships.  The Bismark was probably about the same size but introduced very early in the war so outclassed anything the Brits had at that time.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:13 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Link

I was a Radioman aboard the USS New Jersey from 1989 until it's decommission in 1991.

I served on the most decorated Battleship in the history of the United States. It wasn't until years later that I became the most decorated Close Combat III player in the history of the United States.  Laughing

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Quote:
I was a Radioman aboard the USS New Jersey from 1989 until it's decommission in 1991.

Seriously? I often wondered through the years, including when used to play H2H back in the glory days how many fellow swabbies there were amongst us..

I too was a "Sparks" onboard the USS Engage (MSO 433) 1979-83 and USS Frank Cable AS-40 1983.

JS

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

hey John.

Yes, I got to go on one Westpac Cruise in 90-91 Aleutian Islands, Korea, PI, Hong Kong, Singapore, Straits of Hormuz, UAE, Bahrain, Thailand, Singapore, PI, Guam, Pearl Harbor Hawaii, then back to Longbeach Ca.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ronson

Rep: 36.7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 am Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
I wonder if there are any Battleships left in Europe?  The Royal Navy maybe has one left?

The only remaining RN ship of this time is HMS Belfast, a town class light cruiser. this is fully restored and moored between London bridge and Tower bridge on the south bank of the Thames in London.
As far as I know its open to visitors every day of the year, apart from Christmas period, but check with the Imperial War Museum before visiting just to be sure.

All the battleships of the period were scrapped, the majority before 1950, with only the KGV class living on until the end of the 50's, when they too were broken up.

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Hi Brake,

Sounds like you had more "fun" than I did. The Sweeper I was on was built during the Korean war and was not in the best of shape, attached to a USNR unit actually and we were the full time crew.

Did manage to see many nice Caribbean locales, Panama, Guantanamo Bay, Mexico. Then the ship was used extensively in the Mariel boatlift and this will sound odd for some of you history buffs and maybe not to others.. But we actually pulled in a couple of mines adrift.. Left over from the war.. Bales of marijuana from probable drug runners thinking we were a CG Cutter and tossing them over board.

Then the nice fishing off of the fan tail in the evenings.. That was always the best part..

Many years after got out, went onboard one of those fancy new hybrid fiberglass hulled MSO's that came to Port of Tampa that was open for visitation. It was like a floating palace as compared to that old wooden hulled relic of years past, with most of the crew's sleeping bunks forward, 4 tall. Rough seas and nobody slept. Nothing you don't know about if ever served on a small ship with a shallow draft.

I do miss it sometimes and think back often, as can tell.

JS

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

I once asked the Admiral, "what his favorite cruise was" he said, caribbean.

dj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

What was it like on board the NJ when the big guns fired?  Obviously the gunners in the turret wear earplugs and gear for protection.  But on the bridge or other parts of the ship it still must have been intense.

I did some research and found that the Bismarck was actually larger than the Iowa class...along with the Japanese super battleship Yamamoto.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Link

I put on ear protection and stood on deck next to the 16'' guns when they fired. Intense shock and heat wave. Definitely rocks you to the core. After that, I made my way back inside the ship. LOL Shocked

dj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:54 am Post subject: Re: BB-61 Iowa's last journey photos Reply with quote

Brake is legit. That's amazing...last remaining WWII Battleships still served all the way until the 90's.  Wondering if it is more economical to keep these as floating coastal artillery support vs the cost of deploying Air to Surface missiles, helo's or other options.  

Must really be terrifying to face the wrath of these heavy guns.  I spoke with a WWII veteran that operated landing craft in Italy.  He told me how much they hated getting shelled by the big German coastal artillery. After all these years he still could barely even talk about it, brought back painful memories.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: