Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Back from work and off to another round of games:
Visually it is definitely more appealing than the previous games. Worth noting is that also the rubble graphics have been redone and improved.
About gameplay: well, I like it better than LSA for some reason. An improvement is the aiming time for mortars (20 second countdown) . Once a target has been identified it can switch back to it instantly. On the large maps it can be difficult to win a battle within the minimum time of 15 minutes. Infantry survivability is low and considering the small size of especially the German teams you start avoiding unnecessary risks quickly.
About the pathing: the last battle that I played I commanded 3 tanks to move across the map, without waypoints and they moved along the road nicely. No micromanagement required.
Other tanks were commanded across rougher terrain and that worked well too. The AI is not as clever though.
The game menu screens still seem to be 800x600 but it expands to the edge of the screen with a background image. Game resolution was automatically set to match screen resolution. In my case 1680x1050 and it works well for me.

All in all I would like to thank the developer team for another great episode of this series! You guys serve us addicts well.

My main reason for purchasing the game so quickly was to determine if this game should be the preferred platform for the Rhineland mod. I reckon Buck and I won't have to think very hard about that.
No more updates from me for the time being. I will be spending the next couple of weeks mostly on finishing the Ortona mod .

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:18 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Agree Pete;)

Now have to wait for the tools Wink  Wink

heia Safari!!

Pzt_XLegione

Rep: 20.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Hello mates, this evening I played my first multiplayers game vs Pzt_Crackwise.

The lobby is integrated and it works well, we didn't have any problem to set up the connection and we didn't have firewall or router issues.
We had just some lag problem probably due to Crackwise's connection.

In the lobby there is public chat room and a match making forum useful tools for finding players and to discuss about the game.

Concerning the game, the first impression is positive but I don't want to write any comment, it is too early, I played just 1 battle.

Last but not the least, this game needs a modern computer the cooling fan of my lap top worked a lot during the battle!

Ciao

Pzt_XLegione

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
$40 USD pretty steep...unless is it really better than the last ones?  Maybe AI is yet again worse...but there are some graphics improvements?

The AI is actually not that bad. Mortars especially. Use them to effectively target infantry/vehicles whenever they spot you.

One will notice that the new mortars are somewhat like "spotters" from mods that have been created with delayed timing before they fire added in also.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 am Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
. When under fire, it doesn't retreat his units out of LOS. (As a human opponent would.) Pzt_Crackwise

try running an AI sherman up against your panther and they do now try to retreat, same with the lighter armour

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 am Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

+ The new explosions are great
+ The mortars are the best I've seen yet, the aiming timer is a good idea
+ Infantry in vehicles is good for large maps, sending a scout car off on its own is less risky now
+ I like the new force pool selection, it limits your BG a bit, but not as much as CC4 and it stops the mixed SS, Heer, FJ BGs of CC3. Difficulty settings effects # of unts allowed which is good
+ The maps of course! Although as a personal preference I like the small CC3 / CC4 maps for faster battles.
+ Stacking units on the strat map
+ Interdiction on the strat map - a new feature

- Much the same AI. It doesn't attack well. Only play vs the computer when you are attacker.
- The force pools can be a bit vanilla, too many of the same unit, not enough variety especially Panther A tanks. This was done for historical accuracy, but the game's variety suffers
- The maps can look too similar. If you hate Normandy hedges, this will bother you. But it's a function of the battle area, no beaches or major rivers for different maps
- There is still some poor pathfinding, mostly vehicles on bridges and tight roads. Map coding has to be spot on.

All up I am enjoying the battles, vs AI only. Most of the "faults" are the same old CC faults. Not attacking, vehicles wandering, no tank sounds and I've just got used to them over ther years.

bexx76

Rep: 38.5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

hi all, im downloading the game now Smile
about the troops entering the vehicles i think that to dismount a trained team will do it very fast, the first things that a mechanized infantry team learn is to dismount and take position quickly.
AIFV are designed to permit troops to follow advancing tanks in a barrage or under SAF, then 1 time they dismount to support them with heavy weapons or ingage enemy AIFV that suppress friendly troops.
from now i will for sure equip my assault teams with AIFV IOT gain advantage from holes in enemy defence with fast advance!
close combat is now entering a new era Smile
5 min, to finish download......

TTorpedo

Rep: 23.5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

41.81€ for a digital download, makes it hard to justify  Shocked
So keep the comments coming. Where are the scrennies and play movies. AAR!

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Holding off as well due to price.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

slipper

Rep: 44.3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

Me to. Also going on the first impressions here it does not appear that the AI has changed drastically if at all, as i only play offline this is a massive dissapointment to me.

I must admit that since CC first appeared, probably the most requested upgrade has been for an improvement for the AI. Consequently this happens to be the one upgrade the developers refuse to implement, instead giving further little things like graphical improvements and towable guns. Whilst these are welcome, i really wish someone would finally address the AI issue.

regards

slipper

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Anyone playing the grand campaign or an operation, how is the supposed tracking of every soldier's history working? how are replecements implemented?

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Tanks won't drive down roads bordered by Large hedgerpws.

They will head for a wide open field instead.

this requires them to climb the hedgrow and often lose a track.

it may be the maps coding in PitF but patfinding seemed better in LSA

Purple is expected path
Red is path taken
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Seems avenues of trees has similar effect

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 am Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

slipper wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Me to. Also going on the first impressions here it does not appear that the AI has changed drastically if at all, as i only play offline this is a massive dissapointment to me.

I must admit that since CC first appeared, probably the most requested upgrade has been for an improvement for the AI. Consequently this happens to be the one upgrade the developers refuse to implement, instead giving further little things like graphical improvements and towable guns. Whilst these are welcome, i really wish someone would finally address the AI issue.

regards

slipper

Ditto...me thrice.  Is that proper English?

In any event, I am not going to pay premium price for basically no improvement to AI, with the same negative review about wandering tanks, AI incapable of any type of organized attack.

We keep telling Matrix and now Slitherine...yet they keep ignoring us.  So many mods from TT, Sapa, Dreaded88, Pj with kick-ass AI ....you would think some of the big bosses would learn how to implement what these guys did for free.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

lamurt

Rep: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 am Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

samo - i learned my lesson with lsa the hard way honestly... by the sound of it looks like another maps dlc, and a payware one at that with rather sleazy pricing.

Pzt_XLegione

Rep: 20.1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

For my point of view, the real game is versus human opponent, playing a game vs AI is not fun at all.

This game is an evolution of the previous series, (I don't list what is changed, everybody knows it), I agree with you that the price is high nevertheless I know that is a niche game, in other words Slitherine and Matrix develop and produce something for a small market.
That means high cost for the manufacturer and high price for the end user.

I appreciate their efforts otherwise the best game dedicated to strategic and tactic WW II fighting wouldn't be anymore on the market.

About the pathfinding I'm pretty sure that they will fix it as done for the previous games.

I think positive.

Take care, ciao

Pzt_XLegione

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Since CC4 for sure and maybe even CC3, users have whined about the pathfinding.

And everytime the users whine, the developers claim pathfinding has been improved.

It's been going on for over a decade.

bexx76

Rep: 38.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

hi all. DONT BUY THIS SHIT.
i think closecombat is a very good game to play vs human players.
no AI can gives u the same experience of a battle vs a human.
today i tried to use the MULTIPLAYER, i found no way to play game in direct connection, u are ablliged to join or host using the integrated multiplayer of PHANTER IN THE FOG
the game lag and crash,.
so wait for a good patch that allow u to play vs humans.
thats all.

ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Hell oh Hell

- Lobby isnt the better lobby i seen so far for a CC game. Not clear. And it's buged.
Yes in some way you may v got a frozn screen or simply a crash.
-Some crash appear when u receving data ( when u are joiner)
And what the hell about this damned CPU performance?! I always receave warning about it while i'm playing.
Unbeleavable!!!
-The game is nice, once you delete the white of the fog.
This fog look like truelly as a thing pasted on the map to hide something. But what?
- In stand alone, the game is great ( except this fog huhu) runing nice, properly. No crash... Very nice.
- Once you entering the multiplayer the hell begin.
All game are laged. Very laged. So very laged than i saw a 15 game timer finished 65 minuts later...
Is it fun to play a game like that?
CC5, before the first 5.01patch was runing better than this Pitf.
I hope to see quickly a patch fixed the lag problem. Because this is unplayable!

I stop now to play and move back to my hole...

All this for that?!

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: The game was released today Reply with quote

Ok, brothers from CCS please listen carefully. After trying several times playing with different players both hosting and joining, I can tell these things about the multiplayer aspect of Panthers in the Fog so far:

-The multiplayer part of  the game is very problematic at the moment. I think that it's not even finished. The game is so laggy, it is unbelievable. I haven't had such consistent lag ever. And I don't think it is because of my connection, but some other people I have talked with have also experienced the same thing with their games with other players. It may be due to the lobby server's crappines or some optimization problems of the game.

- Similarly, data transfer speed is very low, it takes too much time downloading data from the opponent.

-The game does not exceed 50% CPU usage in single player mode. In multiplayer, it exceeds 90% and my fan is running like a jet engine! You can see the screenshot below:

- I generally think the fonts used in the game don't look good. I don't know but they just don't get along with the game's visuals. CC5 had better fonts.

- Another thing I have experienced is that the talks you make in the chat screen appear on the strategical maps. Also on the top left corner text is squashed and is unreadable. I don't know if it is an issue about my screen resolution, but regardless it looks very amateurish. The screenshot can be seen below:

So summarizing, this game runs relatively ok and looks fine in single player to some extent, but the multiplayer is downright unfinished and it is again a sly attempt of Matrix/Slytherine to milk the cow as the christmas approaches. These issues need to be fixed with a patch as soon as possible, otherwise there is no point in playing this game.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: