Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1240
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29 am Post subject: Realism and Morale Turned Off?? Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to multiplayer, so I've been reading the AARs on the forum. But I'm curious as to why a lot of people turn morale off and use 95% realism. Is this normal?

I've always played with Never act on Initiative unchecked. It would be like playing with Always See the Enemy checked, I just don't see the point. And why do people play without morale? That'll make your soldiers fearless and leave out a good portion of the gameplay. A lot of tactics I use revolve around destroying enemy morale and I can't imagine what a game would be like without it. Can someone explain, thank you.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Xenon

Rep: 8.6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:59 am Post subject: Re: Realism and Morale Turned Off?? Reply with quote

My guess is that there are two schools of thought at work here:

The first one looks at battles as something that is decided only by the players' actions, so to them having low morale kick in when one side could maneuver to a full win on a map is silly. This is because of the way morale is implemented in the game. When a force routs, the winner gets control of victory points equal to some formula, which may mean that the losing side holds on one turn longer despite having only vehicle crews and whittled second line infantry remaining on the field.

On the other hand, the other looks at the battle in a way that the battle between two sides is just one key part in a larger conflict between formations. In that case, you might be losing your part of the battle, but unless it's catastrophic, the other elements could still save the day by stabilising the front. If you've played the Combat Commander board game series, then you might've heard of this argument.

Never act on initiative is slightly complicated, because while your troops could realistically start moving according to what they see as important, the player can override them if he keeps an eye on the team status bar or the minimap. From that aspect, this setting only adds more micromanagement in a game that isn't micro intensive as the usual RTS. The complicating point is that sometimes units can spot and start firing on teams that the player doesn't know about.

I have little multiplayer experience, so I can't comment much more on the pros and cons of all you've mentioned. Maybe someone else can add to the discussion

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: Realism and Morale Turned Off?? Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Xenon!

Xenon wrote (View Post):
My guess is that there are two schools of thought at work here:

The first one looks at battles as something that is decided only by the players' actions, so to them having low morale kick in when one side could maneuver to a full win on a map is silly. This is because of the way morale is implemented in the game. When a force routs, the winner gets control of victory points equal to some formula, which may mean that the losing side holds on one turn longer despite having only vehicle crews and whittled second line infantry remaining on the field.

On the other hand, the other looks at the battle in a way that the battle between two sides is just one key part in a larger conflict between formations. In that case, you might be losing your part of the battle, but unless it's catastrophic, the other elements could still save the day by stabilising the front. If you've played the Combat Commander board game series, then you might've heard of this argument.

Ah, that makes sense. I was told morale was more realistic by a veteran, which is why I keep it on. But I guess it could drag a game on longer... I need to think about keeping it on or not.

Quote:
Never act on initiative is slightly complicated, because while your troops could realistically start moving according to what they see as important, the player can override them if he keeps an eye on the team status bar or the minimap. From that aspect, this setting only adds more micromanagement in a game that isn't micro intensive as the usual RTS. The complicating point is that sometimes units can spot and start firing on teams that the player doesn't know about.

I have little multiplayer experience, so I can't comment much more on the pros and cons of all you've mentioned. Maybe someone else can add to the discussion

It's funny because I like my teams taking the initiative. And I've learnt to play with it, even if it's a bit more micromanagement. I think I'll keep this unchecked for now. Unless someone can give me reason not to.

You've been helpful, so thank you again  Cool

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:33 am Post subject: Re: Realism and Morale Turned Off?? Reply with quote

Playing a Grand Campaign as the Axis against the A.I. I would say leave Moral On.
This helps tremendously as many times the AI will hopefully get Routed to a friendly map thus leaving as many Allied BG's on the Strategic Map as possible.

All too often I have played with it Off and by the time I'm half way across the Strategic map there are only 3-5 BG's to fight against.

The Never act on Initiative I always leave off.
I've seen to often my guys won't do crap,zero,zilch,notta.

I want my guys to fight.

I like the YouTube Video's btw
This guy has one too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sim9uUDLfc

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 pm Post subject: Re: Realism and Morale Turned Off?? Reply with quote

So it's better to have morale on playing vs the AI, and off in multiplayer. Will have to go try it out and see how I get on.

Thanks! I've subscribed to him already. He was part of another Channel, but has just gone his own way.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: