Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Florian_geyer

Rep: 4.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 pm Post subject: Solo GC Reply with quote

CC 5 Wacht Am Rhein Grand Campaign
Settings: Stock Line v Line
Side: I am playing Germans
Introduction:  Decided to break out the CC5 set and put on a laptop and play a few games.  Playing a lot right now, but this will likely slow down.  I started an US GC and will do that also, but I went to Germans and am going from there.  I know line v line may be too easy, but I’ve not played in a long time, and this is for fun.

Day One Turn One Battles:
I did not save many screen shots but do have the end of scenario for each battle.
South Eifel : The attack goes well without too much difficulty.  I don’t clear the map but am in good position to gain exits with a push on second attack.  The plan is to get off maps as soon as possible and create pockets where I can surround the enemy and cut off from supply.  I’m chicken little with risking tanks or armor so the infantry casualties are a bit high.

Habscheid:  This attack is also bogged down. I take fairly high casualties and only get one VL – but it is a major crossroad.  My losses were pretty high and morale was a factor.  This almost was a disaster.

Hosenheim:  I enter on the south and take some key points creeping along.  I sent a few units due north through the woods to secure the eastern part of the North Road which gives me ability to flank the town next time.  Losses are minimal and I inflict some decent casualties on enemy.  I can now use the woods that skirt the north road and head south west to the town’s center or reverse with a demonstration attack combined with an assault.

Weiler:  I remember this battle from the old “Squad Leader” days and how much of a beast this map (4 maps in SL) was on the Road to Wiltz.  I’m able to secure both eastern roads but don’t get to the center of the map.  Despite not having huge VL’s I concentrate on securing the full part of the east which will allow me to bypass the roads going through the town or try to hit the center from the flank.  This will be slow going but I don’t like killing my virtual command.  I hurt the allies here and the come close to breaking as I was able to push at the end to get some key ground.  

Losheim:  I get a pretty bad deployment and I’m using an infantry group against a cavalry unit.  I enter from the extreme North and have no cover really to work with nor are there any strong places to phase my attack.  I set up a fire base in the buildings and try to work my infantry into the woods to the East (not needed but will give me some deployment with cover) and into the copse west of the deployment.  It’s a fiasco as I’m met by about six armor units that cut me to shreds.  I kill one or two but a ripped out and have to rout from the map.  Bad day for my FJ boys.

Krinket-Rochelin:  With good cover to mask my attacks I actually make great progress here and clear out the north east to center of the map and take four VL’s while inflicting good casualties and losing few.  I have a good route to the exits on the South part of the map.

Sorry some of this was sketchy.  I should have probably taken some notes and some screenies throughout.  I am on Day five in the campaign, so a lot of this is written from memory.  In all it was not a bad turn.  I’m in decent shape for a break out in the next phase.  Again, slow and steady!

Last edited by Florian_geyer on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:54 pm Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

Nice post! Do you have any ingame pics as well?

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

No.  I used to do that and wasn't even going to post but I'll DL the screen shot utility and use that.  Like I said I'm now on day five so the write ups won't be great with detail (BG etc.) but the 1st half of the day was good.  One disaster - and I got off to a quick start.

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:14 am Post subject: Solo GC - Day One of 25 Turn Two Reply with quote

Day One Turn Two Battles:
North Eifel: This battle goes pretty well.  I’m ready to throw my attack on the Allied lines and have fairly good ground to work with, but the Allies beat me to the punch and attack me first.  I hit them hard and follow with a counter-attack that kills a few units and they never recover.  The battle is over soon with a bad morale break for allies and we’re off this map on the first day.  Well done!

South Eiffel – I had gained good position to launch a second attack and am working up the road and from the Allied left.  The front is met, but then coming across perpendicularly the flanking movement crushes the US and they break giving me the map and an exit point.

Hosignen: Slow battle as the Allies don’t attack me and I’m not about to go over the top into a town.  I work slowly to solidify the front lines – mostly sneaking and peeking.  I do launch a few firefights to gain ground both in the center (North and South) with the plan to demonstrate on the front and then launch attacks from the flanks on the center area of buildings next round.  I Didn’t want to lose men for a frontal assault through that building complex and crossroads.

Wieler: Progress is slow.  I don’t have much armor and am leery of bazookas and AT guns ability to knock out what little armor I have in a town – so I try to work the North and South ends of the map trying to bypass the road and get to an exit.  The going is slow and there are a few firefights which I do well in, but I’ll be here for a bit longer.

Reuland: Bridge crossings – great.  However I get across pretty easily and here I risk the armor as going with infantry will just be a slaughter.  US is concentrated in the center and I spot the AT gun and get it out with a luck mortar shot.  I also take out a bazooka team and now the tanks are rolling over the crunchies and I get across in style and indeed am nearing an exit with a last fire fight.  I’m heading towards the southwest exit and off for my armor to be in the rear and boom – morale breaks for US and the battle ends with me just short of the objective.  However, a good day’s fight and I should get out pretty easily next turn.  I do take some hits and hope that some damaged tanks come back for the next fight.

Krinket-Rochelrat – Sounds like a doughnut factory to me and when I look at the map I go “Ut-uh”.  There are lots of intersections each guarded by a building which could make this a tough map.  However I get on a roll and once again am just pounding the US when they break and I get almost the whole map.  Now the thing is do I hold on a bit and try to hurt or just get off the map next turn.  I will likely go for the latter and try to get in the US rear and disrupt their communications with their supplies.

Day one is pretty successful. As you can see from the map:

Two battle groups are already in the US rear and will be looking to move forward and create a path for other units who will likely break out soon to link up.  I intend to get off maps as soon as possible – particularly with the more mobile units and try to encircle supply units.  I don’t care if I get low on fuel – as I should be able to link up and regain supply before the US reinforcements arrive in force.  Then I’ll let the infantry mop up and bleed the bypassed units.

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:06 am Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

Day Two Turn One  - Now that I have made a few advances off the kickoff points it’s time to press forward and try to disrupt lines of supply for the US.
Here is the starting position at Day Two:

Dasbourg:

Weiler:

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

Odd...at the end of day five my GC locked up and would not close and when I ended the task the game had disappeared.  I guess the file got corrupted.  This ever happen to anyone?

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 am Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

Well I was able to restore to a version I had running earlier this week.  So, I lost a bunch of battles but not the whole GC.  Going to definitely save a copy after each fight.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:22 am Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

Are you using patch 4.50.15b ?

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:46 am Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Are you using patch 4.50.15b ?

No, I thought 4.50.14 was the latest.  I'll upload.

Thank you

chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Solo GC Reply with quote

in your very first post you mentoined this is a mod of cc5 ? i cant find it anywhere.. this is is just wacht am rhein i think..

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

Jump to: