Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1226
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:21 pm Post subject: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

I used to play Carriers at War back in the 1990s and it was awesome. I notice Matrix Games have it now and released an updated version a few years ago. I have seen the other Pacific games Matrix has to offer and I dont think I am interested in them.

I want to manage carrier groups, battleships and tell the troops when to hit the beach.

You guys have any suggestions for turn based grand strategy of the Pacific?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

Hi Mooxe,

I used to play Carriers at War in the 1990s too. I had a good friend of mine and we would play that and sometimes Pacific War too.

The Carriers at War game from Matrix Games (made by SSG) is not the exactly same thing, and its main criticism is there is nothing for the player to do, and therefore the game is very shallow. First of all its a real time game (not turn based), and then it doesn't include as many scenarios as the original Carriers at War.

Uncommon Valor, War in the Pacific, and the Admiralty Edition, are all varients of the Pacific War game, with focus on land based operational components as well as air and sea. For total grognards (presumably either unemployed, unmarried, childless, etc..) these games are great, except that the UI sucks entirely, with some improvments (notably widescreen monitor support) in the Admiralty Edition.

Other possible counter based games are available from HPS simulations, and the Guadalcanal and Midway games, might be cool, but I have never tried them, because you might not be able to get a digital download (therefore you need to use your CD to play). Graphics on HPS games are always several generaitions behind EVERYTHING else you see offered in the marketplace.

I noticed Carriers at War had been discounted, and I am interested, but still too chicken to get it based on its reviews.

Once in a blue moon, I will play the Coral Sea scenario, or one of the other SW Pacific scenarious using WaR in the Pacific. The only thing you need to know about WitP, is that you should endeavour to do everything you can by the book (repeat: by the book) to reduce the odds of the enemy carrier force getting the jump on your forces (naval or otherwise). Be forewarned, or the AI will hand you your ass on a plate.

Cathartes

Rep: 101.3
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:12 am Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't try War In the Pacific: Admiral's Edition.  You don't have enough time left in your life to enjoy that kind of strategic heroin.

tigercub

Rep: 23.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 am Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

War In the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is the most detailed war game ever made, take years to play and that's no lie..but its very very good but does need some home rules.
just started my 5th game.

Tigercub

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

Quote:

You ever play the old Panzer General Mooxe? If so, How about the updated People's General Engine converted to the WW2 engine that is superior?

Plenty of campaigns for the WW2 edition and several set in the Pacific, not entirely Ocean related, but you *do* control landings, ships,aircraft, troops.. You know the drill..

Here is a link to Robert Mary's outstanding site where the game and campaign installs are located if ur interested:

PEG WW2

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:52 am Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
I used to play Carriers at War back in the 1990s and it was awesome. I notice Matrix Games have it now and released an updated version a few years ago. I have seen the other Pacific games Matrix has to offer and I dont think I am interested in them.

I want to manage carrier groups, battleships and tell the troops when to hit the beach.

So, did you get CaW.  Question  Laughing

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:11 am Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

No nothing yet...

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 am Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, you would be most welcome to take my WitP game. No charge, of course.

But I wonder about the license. The EULA says you cant transfer a license. Perhaps I am not interpreting this properly. If it is true that a license cannot be transfered on a digital download, then I guess we can't do it. I just haven't been able to delete it from my system, even though I have had no problems deleting out of date business software in the past.  Laughing  

Boro_XXX

Rep: 9.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:16 pm Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

I can recommend two G. Grigsby's games:
1) Carrier Strike (1992) + addon:

Carrier Strike: http://www.myabandonware.com/game/carrier-strike-south-pacific-1942-44-1cy
CS addon: http://www.myabandonware.com/game/carrier-strike-add-on-36o

Manual is a must. You can DL it from the same page as the basic game edition.

2) Gary Grigsbys Pacific War: http://www.myabandonware.com/game/gary-grigsbys-pacific-war-1et
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Grigsby%27s_Pacific_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Grigsby%27s_Pacific_War
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mooxe, Carrier Strike fits your description - it covers the operational and the tactical level of naval fighting in the southern Pacific.

Also, there's a nice online game - Fighting Flattops: http://www.fightingflattops.com/index.php

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21 pm Post subject: Re: Looking for a Pacific Game Reply with quote

Good Job Boro !

In fact, now that I look at the screenshots, it was Carrier Strike that I played way back then.

It was a great game, until we moved on to Pacific War.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: