Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 pm Post subject: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

I am reading the book entitled "Holocaust." Makes me think...

I have to wonder if it could happen again, at least on that scale. Are we more or less educated that our predecessors were to stop something like this from happening? Or is it the fact that the right conditions haven't been met. Some countries do have the right conditions but with today's media they dare not, or maybe its other factors?

Take into account how easy it is for a government to send a message to the population these days. In Germany's case the media was used quite well. Newspapers, radios, word of mouth etc etc... all that 1930s stuff. Rwanda the same.

The media can also be used to counter what the government says as well. Which may remind people of the power of free speech.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

HogansHeros

Rep: 28.5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:39 am Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

I have to wonder if it could happen again, at least on that scale.

First we'd have to agree just what scale we are looking at. Do we count only the 5-6 million Jews? Start adding in Slavs, Soviet POWs and civilians, homosexuals, Jehovah's Witnesses, handicapped, political dissenters and who ever else and you easily get up to 11-17 million or even 20-26 million.  On the other hand, I suppose we could talk percentages instead of raw numbers or talk about killing tactics used.

The Bosnian war seems to have only killed 100,000 civilians and combatants, about the same number the Syrian civil war is up to. Rwanda was half a million to one million. Khmer Rouge killed around 2 million in Cambodia. I would like to think that a peripheral country/conflict could not get much above that figure without massive foreign intervention, but 1 UN security council veto against intervention and who knows.

[I did not find good numbers for deaths in North Korea.]

The cultural revolution in China (while having a very wide range of estimates) may have killed as many as 20 million over 10 or 12 years.  I think that type of thing may be the most likely way to have a holocaust type situation arise again: If China started rounding up and killing its own civilians (with no foreign aggression) should the west risk (global) nuclear annihilation to stop them?

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:01 pm Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

YES!

I am a self confessed misanthropist. And i have no shame in that. Or i at least show allot of misanthrope tendency. Usually in my own home/ Thats all .. Still i keep my head up, Act polite and smile. And act kind. And TRY to forgive. And always when dealing with good hearted people.
I also believe im very logical and unbiased. I avoid scandals/Conspiracy/and hype jobs.

Now you say holocaust. What about genocide? Is there even a difference?

There has been allot of debate as to whether or not the Irish suffered genocide during the potatoes famine. Its pretty extreme and very controversial but i thought it was a interesting point or argument.
personally my self. I think no.. there are to many points on the other side of the argument.

But if you can ever say letting a people starve to death on purpose can be seen as genocide, Then im telling you now that's its going to happen. Big time. Or it at least seems apparent.
Or it could at least happen in a number of hypothetical scenarios. And remember time in infinite.
Therefore theirs a infinite number of scenarios coming our way. (Not just starving to death scenario)

I was going to leave it at that. But ill just make another point. Over population is the biggest problem facing humanity..
Its not given the same attention as things like global warming. But it truly is the biggest thing facing humanity.

I might write some key points about how bad the problem is and how bad its going to get. And the extremeness of the current situation and how extreme it could possible get. But i don't know if i can be bothered.  But i shouldnt have to. Its obvious.
But its truly amazing how bad it going to get. ( or at least as it appears)
As the worlds slowly strangles it self. I think certain forms of genocide could take place.  And im not talking about killing off humans to lower population. Because that's impractical. Morals aside.

Im just saying as we slowly strangle our-self chaos will happen. And i think the political stability that we live in will be unbalanced to a point when its very possible for genocide or a holocaust could take place.

Of course we may find new ways to deal with this problem. But i don't devote much thought to it. Nor do i offer many ways to fix this problem.

This is not a dig at parents. I would sort of like to be a father... I know i would make a good 1. Alot better than some people.

The only thing im doing is pointing out a painfully obvious point. And you shouldn't get up set with the data.
Any one wanna see the data? I think every one here knows history. And the world we live in.

How it will turn out is all speculation i guess... remember time is infinite. How long will we be here for?

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 pm Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

Let me add. Its arguable. I know.

But any thing can be arguable. But some times you can both be right.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:52 am Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

I think a holocaust - type genocide could happen, unfortunately. Large parts of the planet are still in risk of getting into significant conflicts. Fight for resources may increase the potential for a genocide. It might be committed with WMD's, used against a large concentration of people.

UN was started after WW 2 to I guess stop wars and genocides from happening, hasn't worked though. UN seems to be too weak to actively stop wars and atrocities, maybe it's time for it go the way of the League of nations and come up with a global organisation that could actually do something.

HogansHeros

Rep: 28.5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

MajorFrank wrote (View Post):

UN was started after WW 2 to I guess stop wars and genocides from happening, hasn't worked though. UN seems to be too weak to actively stop wars and atrocities, maybe it's time for it go the way of the League of nations and come up with a global organisation that could actually do something.

The UN is weak when it comes to stopping active wars/genocides because any one member of the security council can veto UN action and the UN does not have any troops of its own, relying instead on member nations to provide troops for specific actions.

I don't know how you would fix this without undermining other areas where the UN has been fairly successful. If you strip veto power big countries (China, Russia, ect) may leave. If you try to give the UN more power to raise and deploy troops on its own then you are playing into the fears of anti-globalist conservatives ( "blue-helmeted UN storm troopers enforcing population control--genocide-- under the guise of stopping global warming" ) and the US likely quits the UN

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 am Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

Quote:
and the US likely quits the UN

The US should have pulled out of the UN long ago anyway, even though it was the US that was mostly responsible for bringing it about, as well as the original League of Nations that preceded it.

Both have serious flaws. The one you mentioned (groups of tyrannies that vote together to block anything) and the Arab league with it's own anti Semitic agenda that precedes anything constructive.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

iDot

Rep: 15.8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 am Post subject: Re: Can a holocaust happen again? Reply with quote

yes, just get me into power!!!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: