Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1237
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 pm Post subject: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

I am almost done with Stalingrad mod.

Did you guys know hit percentage circle changes when troops or enemy moves?

I saw something today as my PTRD was targeting a German tank. The cross-hair would chance color where the armor was the weakest
It went from black to yellow on certain areas of the tank. This would be a huge plus if your troops were in ambush mode and trying to knock out a tank from front or sides, when you can't get behind it. This may be the case if you have AT soldiers with an RPG-40, that don't throw it when tank is close. They simply may know that the targetting cross-hair is red or black. I took this off the cc3 manual. I already knew about the percentages but never knew that when the enemy moved the color changes in real time as well.

I am going to try this with my sniper to see if it changes to green trying to snipe enemy soldiers moving by windows etc. I am no longer going to try to hit soldiers if in yellow zone that is still poor hit percentage. Only will use that for suppression fire.

Was anyone lucky enough to kill a tank on black or red?

click image below color keeps distorting on upload.

tdot.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  516.37 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

tdot.png

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Vobbnobb, I have literally taken out a tank by firing into the same area were there was once the targeting dot and it is no longer there because of an intervening obstacle or something else. Or I used to be able to do it with the older versions. Haven't seen it happen with the newer ones though.

If I am not able to take out an infantry unit because the targeting dot won't stick I will just target the building or cover the closest I can get with the end of the targeting line being green, without the use of the targeting dot. Also have the same effect by targeting as close to an AT gun, even shooting behind the area where the gun is located. Very effective to degrade the gun by taking out the men manning the gun.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Vobbnobb, your path of discovery of the Close Combat series is a trip down memory lane for many of us Wink . Also what schmall turm describes is what we often find out ourselves from experience or experimentation. You don't have to use the targeting circle to hit something.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Rodmorg

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Do you know about the LOS vobbnobb?

Red Line = Can't see

Dark Green Line = Some obstructions

Bright Green Line = Clear Shot

To be honest, the Dark and Bright Green Lines don't really matter when shooting a tank and such. Anyways, at least your vehicle can still see the target...

Winner of the Close Combat fanatics 'Panthers League'

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Rodmorg wrote (View Post):
Do you know about the LOS vobbnobb?

Red Line = Can't see

Dark Green Line = Some obstructions

Bright Green Line = Clear Shot

To be honest, the Dark and Bright Green Lines don't really matter when shooting a tank and such. Anyways, at least your vehicle can still see the target...

Yes I know about the LOS lines and use them a lot when they are not bright green for suppression fire or HE shells for splash damage. It was the circular ones that would change color for your hit chance is what I didn't notice before. Also use it sometimes on bastard enemy surrendered troops Very Happy

Rodmorg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Yes, they are quite annoying. Just getting in your way.

Rodmorg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:07 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Shame they can't be on your side after the battle in a campaign/operation

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:51 am Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Actually, when it comes to using an AT gun against a target I prefer the dark green by literally burying it into the vegetation as it has a better chance of surviving the coming onslaught should it fail to destroy the target on the first shot as it is a harder to be seen by the target, at least against the AI.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:59 am Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

In Panthers in the Fog, you see the target reticule change color as the tank shifts around; but nevertheless, in that game the Allies' salvation is the 57mm AT gun (and in actual combat by 1944 it was outfitted with tungsten carbide shot that could penetrate most frontal armour. )

So even if you get a black reticule, resist clicking the fire command, and consequently the  anti-tank team is left to its own resources, so the AI kicks in and your effectiveness goes
'way up.

For example,  I would say that the AI takes a shot when you have the tightest (not obvious to us humans) firing envelope, as when the tank is driving along a road lined with trees, target, no target, target, etc., the AT will take a snap shot quite efficiently. This is not the case 100% of the time, however.

Looking forward to anyone else having observed this.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:07 am Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

^ hmm interesting have you noticed if a AI bazooka team waits for a clear green (tanks exposes thinnest armor) before firing?

sod98

Rep: 11.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Cheers guys, some good tips in your comments for a noob like me to Close Combat.

Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:01 am Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

sod98

Hey! (Thanks for the appreciative post)  Lemme say this about that:  After about a year of playing about 3 games a week, so that's 150 hours, I started to get a bit of a grip on Panthers in the Fog. Can't say as I have observed my bazooka teams doing the same thing as 57mm At guns regarding the most opportune time to take a green reticule shot, at least not yet since I seldom use them, but when you are faced with enemy tanks attacking from a limited area (darkened-out area pre-game) through a village or city,( keep a tank in reserve to deal with LRRP infantry teams),  use bazooka teams to salvage what you can, enemy tanks can't operate in restricted quarters without screening infantry. So, use your bazooka teams, screened behind your own infantry teams, to take them out. His infantry can't take every single building, so you have a better chance, (57mm don't have enough mobility compared to rocket teams) and even in forest, a bazooka team can get within 40 meters to blast a tank because of a tank's blindness, especially if you can get some team to fire at it and force it to button up. Also, a command team at close quarters can immobilize a tank fairly easily, here you will notice that a HQ team has a green reticule when the HQ team is in a building and the tank is flanked. Once the tank is immobile, although still a threat, it can be dealt with later at your leisure.

Another thing I noticed, If you have tank-against-tank dogfight, and let's say his tank misses, while he reloads, take a shot then click on "sneak" and back up, straight back, assuming you have snuck into range by only  a couple of pixels.Then once he fires and misses again, sneak back into range and shoot while he reloads, repeat the sneak command to back out of range. If you have two tanks, you can play this game with one of your other tanks  from a flanking position. Eventually he loses track of the most serious threat.  Also:
I heard that  an enemy tank in an anti-infantry role will be firing high explosive and when you confront the tank with one of your tanks, he has HE up the spout so the first shot he takes is not armour-piercing.  
Better than chess eh?  For some real good validation of this game you should read USA marines' Major McBreen's PDF on how he uses CloseCombat games to train his non-coms.
The link to his white paper is in one of my other postings, and as I often have preached, the Major's paper elevated the CC series way beyond a mere game.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 am Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

I agree. Close Combat 1 manual is worth the read as well, as it gives great tips

I learned this from the cc1 manual and used it here in gtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVS7K41rfk

sod98

Rep: 11.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 am Post subject: Re: Something New I Learned About The Targeting Dot Reply with quote

Hetser & vobbnobb - Once again guys cheers. I followed the links provided and using been using the tank advice to success. Much appreciated.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: