Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:12 pm Post subject: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

These table top games have always intrigued me anyone know the details?
http://s910.photobucket.com/user/hazumi1953/library/Vignettes%2020mm?sort=3&page=1

BruceMinis-4a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.76 KB
 Viewed:  315 Time(s)

BruceMinis-4a.jpg

BruceMinis-236a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.48 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)

BruceMinis-236a.jpg

WWII7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.91 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

WWII7.jpg

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:02 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

vobbnobb,

I used to play them way back before there was ever a computer game (except for like PacMan or Tank), or before the advent of Avalon Hill tabletop games such as Squad Leader. The rules were generally pretty cumbersome. The move was based on figures for each vehicle or personnel actual speed and the type of terrain that is covered. The rules could be quite detailed which makes for a far more extensive day as a result. In order to get as realistic as possible I took a play periscope and converted it so as to actually see what the unit LOS is on the board. Then firing weapons is resolved by a roll of the dice.

The game board was some system, maybe a hex shaped one that could be bought (I made my terrain out of ceiling tiles) that was very intricately created with trees and buildings that were bought or made, generally played on a carpet or floor.

I started with 1/72 scale units and spent a considerable amount of time trying to locate the plastic models needed. I even converted a few tanks such as the Jagdpanther and the Nashhorn that I could not attain otherwise, especially being from a small town where there no hobby shops.

Eventually converted to 1/285 scale in order to keep the costs down per unit with there being a larger variety of tanks and other vehicles to choose from.

Like I said, the rules were so cumbersome that a battle could take an entire day. So when CC came around I knew that was the way to go having the computer do all of the figuring.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:17 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

It appears this guy is just posing his units for pictures. I was looking through them and came up with these.

Vig20mm-034g.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.84 KB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

Vig20mm-034g.jpg

Vig20mm-036g.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.85 KB
 Viewed:  469 Time(s)

Vig20mm-036g.jpg

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:10 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

In the day, I did tons of tabletop gaming. It was a lot of fun.

But, when computer games arrived, the table top games got phased out.

notprop

Rep: 0.6

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

I'm into tabletop war games and have been for 20 odd years.  I tend to make and paint models while I wait for infantry to move up in CC. :)

If you want a CC type experience then I would heartily recommend the Battlegroup series of WW2 rules by Iron Fist Publishing. It supports platoon and company level fights including rules for off table Artillery and Aircraft support.  Rules are reasonably quick and has an interesting mechanic for deciding victory that I find most pleasing.

http://ironfistpublishing.com/

It can be used in a range of scales, primarily 1/72 (20mm) or 1/100 (15mm).  With the plastic models now available from the likes of The Plastic Soldier Company it make building (multiple?) forces reasonably affordable.

A few taster images from the books....

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

I do not know if it counts but I used to have plastic army men in the childhood, there was no computer or games then but had really fun playing with them for hours.

notprop

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:29 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

Plastic Army Men; the gateway drug to tabletop wargaming!  

Yeah I had them too.  I used to get a pack (usually nicely detailed Airfix ones) whenever we went on a camping trip, so during summer holidays My brother and I were usually found digging mini trenches in the back garden and refighting whatever war film we had been watching.

Much to my parents exacerbation I went on to develop a full blown miniature soldier addiction.  Very Happy

vobbnobb

Rep: 73

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:00 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

notprop wrote (View Post):
Plastic Army Men; the gateway drug to tabletop wargaming!  

Yeah I had them too.  I used to get a pack (usually nicely detailed Airfix ones) whenever we went on a camping trip, so during summer holidays My brother and I were usually found digging mini trenches in the back garden and refighting whatever war film we had been watching.

Much to my parents exacerbation I went on to develop a full blown miniature soldier addiction.  Very Happy

You could make your own rules I suppose...
But then with the plastic solider back you would get soldiers I'm still trying to figure out the country of origin. And most here in the states sold in the bags are the oddest ones, with vietnam gear and bren type guns?

Then the enemy has the same type of weapons your guys have just a different color.. I have yet to come across a store with a decent ww2 set featuring two different sides.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

notprop

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

in the UK they came bagged in the following colours, sometimes mixed together;

Green = US
Grey = Germany
Brown = UK
Beige = Japanese

I tended to try to get 1/72 model kit ones if they were about, much metter.

Oh the memories.... Razz

Quote:
with vietnam gear and bren type guns?

Sounds like some Chindits to me (UK/Commonwealth Tropical forces with slouch hats), an interesting change from the usual.

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:21 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

I loved my green plastic soldiers.
Last year i got to play Bolt Action on a board. It was really cool and reminded me of Close Combat.

Haven't touched my flames of war models in a while. But today i took a picture of a model in the sun.   Laughing

15mm weapons not painted.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

reconscout

Rep: 60.5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

I played Advanced Squad Leader, a real great game. My wife would roll her eyes when I took over the kitchen table. Still have the game along with several add on mods. Enjoy CC3/COI more-not as time consuming and keeps the wife happy Smile

that which does not kill you makes you stronger

Bel8910

Rep: 80.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:34 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with the Battle of Monte Cassino?  I remember getting it one Christmas...it was a paper map of Monte Cassino with 1/72 soldiers....I can't find it and not even sure who made it.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:23 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

reconscout wrote (View Post):
I played Advanced Squad Leader, a real great game. My wife would roll her eyes when I took over the kitchen table. Still have the game along with several add on mods. Enjoy CC3/COI more-not as time consuming and keeps the wife happy Smile

I remember that one! What was the cartridge game for the old Atari and commodore pc's, where the ruskies would sometimes retreat forward when you would crush them? War in the East? Just can't remember.. early 80's..

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:41 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat but on a table.. Reply with quote

Just had a Flashback to the late 1970's back when 1/72 scale soldiers and models were all the rage.  Had tons of those things when I was a kid and made up my own rules with games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: