Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1247
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Reply with quote

While playing PITF, canister shots from the 37 mm of greyhound reminded me (by the way it gives a nice animation with gtc engine) the fact that 37 mm At guns were also used against banzai charges in pacific theater with canister shots. Not sure if Stuart tanks had Canister ammo though.

Bel8910

Rep: 80.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Update Reply with quote

Ke_michial will keep canister shot in mind for my 37mm ATs especially since I am adding kamikaze units to my battle groups.

Here is my update:
Maps finished:
Tarawa
Roi-Namur
Corregidor
Guadalcanal
Anguar (Palau)

Battlegroups completed:
USA
4/4 Marines (Corr)
2/2, 3/2, 2/8, 3/6 Marines (Tar)
321/322 RCT (USA) (Ang)
1/5 Marines

IJA
3d Bgde/14th Imperial Army (Corr)
7 Special Naval Landing Force-Sasebo (3 battalions) (Tar)
29th Inf Regiment/14 IJA (Ang)
2nd Independent Infantry BN/2nd Infantry Brigade

Added:
BG/GS unit icons for US Marines, US Army, IJA and IJN BN
Rank icons for each and for US Navy
Medals for IJA/IJN
Voice cues for each

4FU Corsair
SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber
M4 Sherman Flame tank

Currently working on battle groups for the Guadalcanal Campaign.

This is one thing I have found out: while it is ok to try and cover the gambit of the Pacific Campaign, with the availability of maps and the number of actual battle groups involved, I could easily settle for focusing one or maybe two operations and be able to fill up all 36 maps.

So...I might change directions and do that!  Only because 3-4 maps per operation seems like a little bit of a cheat.

Anyway that's where the mod stands...

reconscout

Rep: 60.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Reply with quote

My father-in-law was at Guadalcanal, he was a radio-operator. He didn't talk about it much but I found out he lost 2 friends in one battle when the Japaneses tried to over run their position one night. He was in a fox hole with his best friend and fought all night long. His friend told the family that he was wounded and laying in the fox hole and my father-in- law would not leave him. At one point he ran out of ammo and had to use Japanese's weapons to defend himself and his friend. Japanese dead even fell into the fox hole. The next day my father-in-law crawled over to the fox hole next to theirs and found two of his friends dead in it. His small unit was pretty much wiped out.

that which does not kill you makes you stronger

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:37 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Reply with quote

reconscout...all I can is "Wow"...thank you for sharing.  that generation of men were definitely America's "Greatest"!

Bel8910

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:18 am Post subject: Re: New Mod....New Direction....Thoughts? Reply with quote

Ok, influenced by the fact that I am on a business trip in Japan right now, I am thinking of changing the direction of this mod.

How about, Operation: Downfall (Olympic only).

Thoughts?

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod....New Direction....Thoughts? Reply with quote

Bel8910 wrote (View Post):
Ok, influenced by the fact that I am on a business trip in Japan right now, I am thinking of changing the direction of this mod.

Thoughts?

@reconscout: thanks for sharing. I am always interested in memories of veterans from all nations and all eras.

@Bel: It seems reasonable focusing on one operation and use all the maps on it. After all, many mods only cover one historical operation which is sensible. Because, there should also be differences in uniforms, equipment and involved forces between operations and different locations in a timeline from 1942 to 1945, which would make it harder to implement in one mod. This way you can concentrate more on historical realism of equipment and composition of battlegroups of one operation better.  Well, my preferred focus point would be peleliu or guadalcanal.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod....New Direction....Thoughts? Reply with quote

Bel8910 wrote (View Post):

Thoughts?

Great idea Ron;)

heia Safari!!

Bel8910

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Reply with quote

Ok,
So this is where the mod stands:

Maps are all in, connected and VPs identified. Strategic map updated to reflect the Japanese Island of Kyushu (the location of Operation: Olympic)

All US units at the regimental size have been added (3,4, 5 Marine Rgts of the 5th Marine Division, 132, 169 & 182 of the Americal Division, 103, 169 and 172 of the 43rd Division, the 187 Glider Inf. Rgt of the 11th Air Division and the 511 PIR of the 11th Air.)   The Americal and 43rd Div made the bulk of the landings on the southwest side of the island.  The 11 Air was held in reserve, but as ground infantry (for my mod, I made them air assault instead).  The Marines landed on the southeast side.  The Marines do not come in until late in the game since their mission after landing was to head north and cut off Japanese reinforcements.

Will be developing BN and below (including US Navy Sea Bee teams) next

Added: US LVT3/4 and DUKWs, P-38, B-25, B-26 (Aussie), 4FU and SBD planes.  Japanese: Type 95 and 97 tanks, Kate, Val, Betty and Zero planes.

The Japanese BN/Regimental units are in place but I still have to properly designate them.  One note: I have the Division and above units that were located on the island in defensive posture in case Downfall occurred; however, I do not have regimental designations.  So, that being said, I will be using "made up" regimental designations.  Additionally, I still need to add Home Guard units and weapons (bamboo poles, muzzle loaders (!), Molotov cocktails, etc).

So roughly about 70-75% complete.

I can not tell you when the mod will be complete.  I work on it 30 min here, an hour there...and you modders know that one simple change could set you back an hour or two (esp. if you don't back up!).  Plus, there is still family, work etc going on.

So, please be patient. I will continue to update you and let you know when it's ready!

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Reply with quote

Looking Great!

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:17 am Post subject: Re: New Mod Reply with quote

ke_mechial wrote (View Post):
Another Suggestion: I would also like it, If the uniforms of both sides were to be improved. For Instance, There should be distinction between Marines and U.S. Army. Marines apparently had lighter brown camo on helmet and plain green uniform. The uniform colors of japanese marines and regular army should depict the real colors as closely as possible, too.

I once did a Okinawa mod for CC5 on CCMT. I just used the US Army tropical uniform, and the German tropical (Afrika Korps) uniform for the Japanese. Just indicate in the map txt file, that the map is tropical, and voila!

Bel8910

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: New Mod Update II Reply with quote

Ok, so, still building forcepools for the Japanese based on Operation: Ketsu-go which was the Japanese defense plan for the mainland.  It is of historical interest to note the Japanese guessed about our invasion plans months in advance.  anyway...

I was doing some beta testing.  Here are my limits:  Generally, American teams are set at 3/3 (morale/experience) with some 4/3, 4/4 and one 5/4 (5th Marine Battalion).   The Japanese, across the board, have a morale rating of 5 and then experience level from 1-4, depending on type of unit (Civilian Home Guard 5/1 for instance).  

Below is where I have the mission settings.

So, in Beta testing, I have found my battles to be very "realistic".  What do I mean?  Well, when I played vanilla GTC, the advantage was to the Brits, unless going against Tigers.  In my battles, it is more even and the outcome is never sure.  Over the course of an operation, though, the US does win due to arms superiority and supply chain.  So, again, very realistic.  This is especially true during the last 5 minutes of play because AI seems to throw everything at me during that time....and it is difficult to stop a rush from Kamikaze squads!  

In short, I am saying, I have made it a challenge.  Or at least, once it's published, everyone will agree.

Anyway, that's the update.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: