Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author

top of GJS maps is best described as: North, top, West?
North
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
West
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

crewman

Rep: 17.8
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:24 pm Post subject: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

The GJS Strategic map isn't North up. The beach maps are at the right side of the Strat map. But in real world maps, the landing beaches are in the North and the Allies moved inland off them in a southerly direction.

So, knowing this ... how would you describe directions in a map while playing GJS? Is the top of the map North, top, or West?

1. North is the top of map ... doesn't matter if this isn't real world correct.

2. Top, bottom, left, and right is the best way to describe directions because it isn't real world correct to say the top of the map is North.

3. Stay real world correct, and describe the top of maps as being West.

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Based on the exit VLs (eg. to Mapname) the top of the GJS battle maps is ~west.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:13 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Why was the strategic map orientated west on top? Same with regular CC5.

I always say top is North, makes it easier.

crewman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Hi Mooxe,
I think it's cause screen ratios have longer horizontal lengths than vertical, which would increase chances of seeing long distance engagements with  the battles moving left and right across the screen. And also, humans tend to scan horizontally with eyes more naturally than vertically.

Can't remember where I read this, and it wasn't specific to CC

Last edited by crewman on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total

crewman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:06 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):
Based on the exit VLs (eg. to Mapname) the top of the GJS battle maps is ~west.

Hi mick_xe5,
yes

Also, are you xe5 from Matrix forum?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:32 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

crewman wrote (View Post):
Hi Mooxe,
I think it's cause screen ratios have longer horizontal lengths than vertical, which would increase chances of seeing long distance engagements with  the battles moving left and right across the screen. And also, humans tend to scan horizontally with eyes more naturally than vertically.

Is this why I hate Gold Beach so much?

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, are you xe5 from Matrix forum?

Yes...and the Maison de Mick Bretteville VL Wink GJS 7.3 is a great mod. After tinkering with the data to adapt it for solo play, having a blast with the Brits in the bocage. Nothing like taking on a MkIV with a Bren in a Humber!

Very cogent point about screen dimensions favoring right-left vs top-bottom play. Even so, a wise commander will always hot key his mortars. My 2" teams tend to lead their BGs in kills with plenty of life saving smoke when distant calls for covering fire come in.

crewman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:31 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

hi mick_xe5,
I read some of your stuff posted on Matrix forums that was helpful ... thanks.

What's the story behind Maison de Mick?

Been in and out of CC for years, but now only specifically for GJS LSA, so don't remember things about other versions ... did you work on CC projects?

And lastly, what tinkering did you do for solo?

crewman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:46 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Hi Mooxe,

Is this why I hate Gold Beach so much?

haha, could be

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:10 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

hi mick_xe5,
I read some of your stuff posted on Matrix forums that was helpful ... thanks.

What's the story behind Maison de Mick?

Been in and out of CC for years, but now only specifically for GJS LSA, so don't remember things about other versions ... did you work on CC projects?

And lastly, what tinkering did you do for solo?

Ive worked on a number of CC projects since CC2 but have also also been away from the game for a few years. The GJS crew honored several long-time CC vets with personalized VLs. While I didnt get a shiny chateau for mine, it does have good LOS.

As far as adjusting for solo play - for limited intel I removed timer, force morale bars, 'health heads', opposing team names and identifying menu icons, overview map enemy team icons and red mine dots. VL flags always show as split (neutral) so as not to reveal enemy activity. Since Im playing GJS as the allies, all maps now have 16 VLs and every map has a 15 team static German BG on it. Neither side has air, arty or mortar support other than organic direct/indirect fire assets. Axis force pools are much reduced but not as severly as the allies. My BGs consist of single man infantry teams, with one vehicle or gun attached. There are 3 Plt leaders who are now named squad leaders and the lone company HQ team is a one-man platoon leader. Morale and experience for all teams on both sides is zero but this of course increases incrementally after each battle. (fyi - zeroing out morale and experience produces beserkers, fanatics and heroes during combat) Essentially each allied BG forcepool is an augmented platoon of 40-45 soldiers generally outnumbered by active enemy BGs about 12-15 to 1 (with 3-5 vehicles per axis BG) and static BGs by ~5:1 (with 1 vehicle or gun per BG).

This forces me to play extremely conservatively. The loss of a PIAT or Bren soldier really hurts. Guns and vehicles are treated like precious treasures. Nothing is disposable and everything is indispensable. In some 'battles' there is hardly any action as I spend 12.5 game minutes (my preferred custom time setting) creeping around trying to take VLs or expand friendly territory for a better jump-off position in the next battle. All told it makes for an extreme challenge as well as a great RPG experience. My campaign progress has been slow but with 3 turns per day (night turns every day) I still have an outside chance to sweep the strat map by June 30th.  When I finish the allied GC I'll reverse the process and do the same with the Germans.

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Interesting way to conduct a campaign. I usually do not check on the BG to see what it is composed of as in the real battlefield there is very limited intelligence anyway. I assume there are certain elements in the BG that are known depending on if it shows as an armoured BG or otherwise. As the Germans I nearly always play extremely conservatively since the Germans generally have less of everything. I find that playing as the Germans is pretty challenging for me. I almost exclusively use the 15 minutes setting.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Ive blanked out the enemy BG icons on the strat map so active and static BGs show no icon. As long as I dont click on the invisible BG strat icons I have no idea where the enemy really is. All Axis team icons are a German cross so I can ensure their BGs are always fully stocked (albeit often with random teams) without knowing its OOB. Often the only way I know Im up against armor is when I actually see a panzer on the battlefield.

crewman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

mick_xe5,
congrats on your personal VL  :)

That is some very specialized and unique single player stuff you've made ... very interesting. Thanks for explaining

crewman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:01 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

Schmal_Turm,
yes ... not looking at enemy roster definitely makes for more interesting single player battles, and more realistic.

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:05 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

mick_xe5,
congrats on your personal VL  :)

That is some very specialized and unique single player stuff you've made ... very interesting. Thanks for explaining

The neighbors keep vandalizing it so it currently is in need of repair.

crewman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

haha Smile ... rough neighbourhood

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:55 pm Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

I can be mistaken but I believe we did similar in Stalingrad mod i.e. naming some VL after CC guys Smile.
And for sure there are some in BFC.

stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:21 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

whats BFC?

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am Post subject: Re: GJS map talk ... top of map is: North, top, West? Reply with quote

stiener wrote (View Post):
whats BFC?

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=97

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

Jump to: