Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
Hicks

Rep: 31.6
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm Post subject: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

I've redone the medal graphics for some mods and the original game. In some cases the actual medals that are featured have been changed or adjusted.

Here are the medal replacements that I've done and packed up so far. I've included preview images also.

Original: https://mega.nz/#!7JtDDaZS!M0I3CX2Z-0pbf-WI95W0Z8WL3pPHmp29euvzSPJ3J6A
GJS: https://mega.nz/#!nAsUHSbQ!HRe1GHQuXEBwyBGkchM7fhT24fq-QAlzwi7bexzfizU
Meuse: https://mega.nz/#!XFVUHZhD!YrrXQiFubIhA9IFpebLrcLjt_DD5QyEuV-imlC2gO2Y
Okinawa: https://mega.nz/#!qU1XBZCb!LholUf73QesOPq8izScQtuqnCS3FoeX0cFBWPcXbfBg
Stalingrad: https://mega.nz/#!aY8wyI4K!sbg6Lp3Na2GgIwZIKKEj_MQeZO_RB7MIrevW7E04TkM
VetBoB Ardennes: https://mega.nz/#!SNsRARBJ!Xo02yAzETQ80Hb1WqfYa4b__nSgApj6iv18ym4FBu0Q

Back up your ScrnGadg file prior to install and then overwrite the file to install.

Also here are the .psd files that I've been working with that contain the medal graphics, background and the resized for import versions:

https://mega.nz/#!6ZFjmI5D!5ggi-BjCisxX2sToQrq5NRQzNfJOJ3sCzE5Mgw6WW5U
https://mega.nz/#!LIdADJrB!Dseyb3p3Plm_3HqoulAakPcH2NOoiP_EPl20Mg3WQ_o

Please feel free to make use of these if you can.

VetBoB Ardennes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.2 KB
 Viewed:  15597 Time(s)

VetBoB Ardennes.png

Stalingrad.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.41 KB

Stalingrad.png

Original.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.67 KB

Original.png

Okinawa.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.5 KB

Okinawa.png

Meuse.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.64 KB

Meuse.png

GJS.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.32 KB

GJS.png

Last edited by Hicks on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

Hicks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:34 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Ok, so I've found all but one of the awards and found and edited to make new, hopefully clearer images for the rest, based on the mods I've been looking at so far. If I can figure out how, would people be interested in having them as replacement graphics?

Anyone able to identify the mystery medal?

Medals new textures.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  319.24 KB
 Viewed:  18515 Time(s)

Medals new textures.jpg

Sequoia

Rep: 26.7
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:04 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Hello:

About the german medals, the image with the caption "General Assault Badge 0011?" is the Sturmabzeichen (Allgemeine) [translation Assault Badge (General)] and the "Assault Badge" is the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen [translation Infantry Assault Badge].
"0012 War Order of the German Cross?" looks like the Kriegsorden des Deutschen Kreuzes [translation Order of the German Cross] in the gold grade, with a Iron Cross instead of Swastika. This medal was nicknamed "Party Badge for short-sighted".  

Source: "German Medals and Decorations" MILITARY INTELLIGENCE RESEARCH SECTION, London Branch.

Soviet Medals

In the "Stalingrad" row the 2nd from the left is Order of the Patriotic War, 3rd is Order of Lenin, 5th is Medal For Battle Merit, 6th is Medal for Courage.

In the "Winter War" row the 8th isn't the Kutuzov 1st class (Kutuzov order was created in 1942) but the Finnish Grand Cross, you swapped the image with 2nd medal; the 11th is Medal For Battle Merit.

Source: Wikipedia

For Finnish and japanese see the attached image:

Bye.

medalhas_ccv.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.2 KB
 Viewed:  18510 Time(s)

medalhas_ccv.jpg

Hicks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Sequoia wrote (View Post):
Hello:

About the german medals, the image with the caption "General Assault Badge 0011?" is the Sturmabzeichen (Allgemeine) [translation Assault Badge (General)] and the "Assault Badge" is the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen [translation Infantry Assault Badge].
"0012 War Order of the German Cross?" looks like the Kriegsorden des Deutschen Kreuzes [translation Order of the German Cross] in the gold grade, with a Iron Cross instead of Swastika. This medal was nicknamed "Party Badge for short-sighted".  

Source: "German Medals and Decorations" MILITARY INTELLIGENCE RESEARCH SECTION, London Branch.

Soviet Medals

In the "Stalingrad" row the 2nd from the left is Order of the Patriotic War, 3rd is Order of Lenin, 5th is Medal For Battle Merit, 6th is Medal for Courage.

In the "Winter War" row the 8th isn't the Kutuzov 1st class (Kutuzov order was created in 1942) but the Finnish Grand Cross, you swapped the image with 2nd medal; the 11th is Medal For Battle Merit.

Source: Wikipedia

For Finnish and japanese see the attached image:

Bye.

Thank you very much! :)

I'm still struggling to find 2nd from left in the Winter War row. I think its a Soviet medal as it is referenced as a replacement for the Combat Infantry Badge. Any ideas?

Sequoia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Hello:

I find it!

It's early variant (1938-43) of Medal for Courage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_%22For_Courage%22_(Russia)

Bye

Hicks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Hello:

I find it!

It's early variant (1938-43) of Medal for Courage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_%22For_Courage%22_(Russia)

Bye

Same here, just now! http://dolf-soviet-mongolian-awards.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/sm-lot-034-soviet-medal-for-bravery-i.html

I've included the new additions and changes as well as the original icons for comparison. Hopefully everything checks out. Then it'll be a case of importing them into the data files to see if I can get them working and then making them available to whoever would like them. I took a look for a little more on the Kriegsorden des Deutschen Kreuzes and there's a "De-Nazified" post war version that uses the Iron Cross while there are originals that had the swastika. Just to keep us confused!

Thank you again for your help Smile

New.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  456.02 KB
 Viewed:  18490 Time(s)

New.jpg

Original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.68 KB
 Viewed:  18490 Time(s)

Original.jpg

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Nice job with the medals Hicks! They look great!  - Could you outline how you were able to make them so crispy clear?

Hicks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Nice job with the medals Hicks! They look great!  - Could you outline how you were able to make them so crispy clear?

Those will unfortunately only end up being reference images (at that level of detail). I was curious if the game would scale an image at 54x68 pixels and keep more detail. It will display them, but at that size (which is too big). They do need to be bumped down to 27x34 to fit within margins so a lot of the detail is lost. It's a shame as the level of detail at 54x68 is quite nice.

Rather than have the higher quality images go to waste I'll bung them in a pack to use as desktop icons as well as for a reference.

Hicks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Here's how the Winter War set look in game. Overall I'm pleased with how they've turned out. The higher resolution images would have been nice but the game just wont fully support them

Clipboard06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.39 KB
 Viewed:  18459 Time(s)

Clipboard06.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  459.08 KB
 Viewed:  18459 Time(s)

Clipboard05.jpg

Hicks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

CC5 replacements.

The transparency on the Hero of the Soviet Union has been fixed for Winter War as well.

Clipboard08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.94 KB
 Viewed:  18448 Time(s)

Clipboard08.jpg

Clipboard07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.51 KB
 Viewed:  18448 Time(s)

Clipboard07.jpg

Hicks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Okinawa and Karelia.

Clipboard015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.6 KB
 Viewed:  18428 Time(s)

Clipboard015.jpg

Clipboard014.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.25 KB

Clipboard014.jpg

Clipboard013.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.84 KB

Clipboard013.jpg

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Hicks can you show a before and after?

What can we do here, can we make an upgrade to existing mods?

Hicks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:15 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Hicks can you show a before and after?

What can we do here, can we make an upgrade to existing mods?

Further up there is a collection of the originals and the most recent images are ingame with the replacements. I can put together an all on one comparison but given how different mods feature the same medal but with a different graphic I thought having them together but divided by mod would be easier. It's also handy if you like particular versions from certain mods and would like to mix and match. The user would need to do the extraction and replacement themselves though - not a difficult process, just takes a little time.

I've been able to pack the files and get them ingame and once they're all done and checked I can upload them to the same place I've been uploading the sound mods to.

It's one file "ScrnGadg.gdg" around 20-30mb that can be compressed to around 4mb which contains the UI elements. It then just needs to be dragged and dropped into the graphics folder, replacing the existing file. I've left all the other UI graphics untouched.

The files make nice icons as well so I'll put all of them together - converted to icon format and upload them too as a little extra.

I've still got work to do on sound mods but no doubt I'll end up downloading some more mods and end up making sound and medal mods for them also  :D

I'm just looking at the awards for UK forces at the moment.

Victoria Cross
Distinguished Service Order
Military Medal or Military Cross [rank specific]
DCM
Mention in Despatches
-

Seems to be the most practical order. There was no Wound Badge equivalent until recently as far as I can tell and the George Medal was for "... conspicuous gallantry not in the presence of the enemy". There's a medal that has the same ribbon as what is described as "George V Issue" that I think is the Distinguished Conduct Medal ?? The Distinguished Service Cross was for gallantry at sea so that one is ruled out also.

Sequoia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Hello:

About the britsh medals (at least in LSA and the chart that posted early in this topic), one can see different Royal effigies in the medals.

Bye

Irish Guards Command Sherman DCM + CGM.jpg
 Description:
note the differences in the effigy
 Filesize:  97.95 KB
 Viewed:  18360 Time(s)

Irish Guards Command Sherman DCM + CGM.jpg

Hicks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Hello:

About the britsh medals (at least in LSA and the chart that posted early in this topic), one can see different Royal effigies in the medals.

Bye

Hello again!

I think I've got versions that are all George VI now, the DSO was Edward VII. I'll upload a reference chart once I've replaced that one. My memory is a little fuzzy but didn't they use Conspicuous Gallantry as a "Wound Badge" in A Bridge Too Far?

Hicks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:41 am Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Here's what I've got done so far as medal replacements able to be imported (ingame will be lower resolution) and to act as a handy reference. I've still got the sound mods to finish but little by little it'll all get done. The medals for Meuse for CC5 were a bit awkward to find nice source photos and the sound files are going to be a headache.

There's some extras for CC3; Vietnam, Valley of Tears.

Resource.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  619.58 KB
 Viewed:  18350 Time(s)

Resource.png

Hicks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Here's today's updates.

UK medals ingame with C. Gallantry acting as a Wound Badge (Bridge Too Far style if I remember rightly) and a possible new sequence of medals for some mods.

Clipboard016.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.88 KB
 Viewed:  18322 Time(s)

Clipboard016.jpg

New Order.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  444.46 KB
 Viewed:  18322 Time(s)

New Order.jpg

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Very nice thanks!

Can people use it on their mods? proper credit of course.

Hicks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Very nice thanks!

Can people use it on their mods? proper credit of course.

I'll upload the pngs of the medals that have been cut out and prepared then people will be able to scale and adjust them to specific backgrounds as they need. Happy for others to use them.

Hicks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:39 pm Post subject: Re: Medal graphics, particularly CC5 and its mods related. Reply with quote

Op has been updated with some releases.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: