Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Cowslanlr

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 am Post subject: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Hello, been a member here for a while, first time posting.

I am having a couple issues with the copy of CC3 I got from GOG and could use some help.

1. Every time I try use the scenario editor the game crashes. When I have the game launched and click "Create A Scenario" the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the game crashes. I am running the game on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

2. The in game options keep getting reset whenever my computer is restarted, all of the settings will stay the way the are until then. For example I have set up my resolution, media options, monitors, status indicators, and player name. They will all stay the way I have them set and the game will work fine, they will persist even when I exit the game and start it again. But, once I have shutdown my computer and boot up again, when I go back into the game, I have to reset all of my options again.

Does anyone else have these issues and/or know a solution to the problems I am having?

I am running the game on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Hicks

Rep: 31.6
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 am Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

I was hoping I could give you a solution but that is quite a mix of problems. I'd recommend you use the support ticket option over at gog to see if they will help you directly with the problem in this case though.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Run CC3 in compatibility mode for Windows98/XP. Also have run program as an administrator. These options can be found when you right click the icon and select properties/compatibility.

This may or may not work, settings these options is usually step one with all CC problems lately.

Cowslanlr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

I managed to get the game settings to persist by reinstalling the game as administrator and allowing the game to run as administrator when it starts. Unfortunately, the game still crashes every time I try to use the scenario editor.

I have tried running in compatibility mode but that does not make any difference. I really hope I can figure out to get the scenario editor working.

Hicks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Cowslanlr wrote (View Post):
I managed to get the game settings to persist by reinstalling the game as administrator and allowing the game to run as administrator when it starts. Unfortunately, the game still crashes every time I try to use the scenario editor.

I have tried running in compatibility mode but that does not make any difference. I really hope I can figure out to get the scenario editor working.

It's a long shot but you might need to make some firewall settings adjustments. When using Zone Alarm and trying to use the scenario browser for CC5 to open a saved file I needed to give it access permissions to the executable. It may be something similar with CC3? If you have no luck then do get in contact with GOG via the support ticket.

Cowslanlr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Hicks wrote (View Post):

It's a long shot but you might need to make some firewall settings adjustments. When using Zone Alarm and trying to use the scenario browser for CC5 to open a saved file I needed to give it access permissions to the executable. It may be something similar with CC3? If you have no luck then do get in contact with GOG via the support ticket.

Thank you for the suggestion but, I have already granted permission for the executable in my firewall settings. Maybe I missed a step somewhere? I do not use Zone Alarm, only the Windows firewall.

I have already put a ticket in at GOG yesterday and they gave me pretty much the same suggestions that people here have. I let them know that I managed to fix the game settings issue but the scenario editor is still causing the game to crash. Hopefully someone will be able to help me get this working.

Hicks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:26 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Hicks wrote (View Post):

Thank you for the suggestion but, I have already granted permission for the executable in my firewall settings. Maybe I missed a step somewhere? I do not use Zone Alarm, only the Windows firewall.

I have already put a ticket in at GOG yesterday and they gave me pretty much the same suggestions that people here have. I let them know that I managed to fix the game settings issue but the scenario editor is still causing the game to crash. Hopefully someone will be able to help me get this working.

Do you get an error message sound or just a silent black screen and crash?

I can't help but think this is going to be a Win 10 issue. There's something else that comes to mind that might be worth a try. I'll pm with the info.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:18 am Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

try reducing your screen resolution

Cowslanlr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:40 am Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Thank you for all the help y'all. I tried just about everything and I never did manage to get the scenario editor working.

But, since it was on sale over at GOG, I decided to pick up a copy of Close Combat: Cross of Iron today. Fortunately this version of the game doesn't seem to be plagued with any of the problems I was having.

Hank

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

The Scenario Editor died on me after I loaded some new maps. I went back to the default maps that came with the game and it worked.

Cowslanlr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

When I woke up today I saw that I had one more suggestion from GOG to get the Scenario Editor working in CC3. Lo and behold, the simple fix worked and I can now get it working.

For Scenario Editor, please:
- Launch the game.
- Select: "Play a game".
- Return back to the main menu(press 'back' or 'menu').
- Select: "Create a Scenario".

This is what worked for me. Now, the question is, is it still worth owning both versions?

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:05 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

No its not. Cross of Iron is simply CC3 rebranded.

Cowslanlr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

Well, I was looking into it and unfortunately it seems I may not be able to do a return based on GOG's refund conditions. I did not experience any technical issues that  prevent me from playing the game and I had already downloaded and installed CoI so I might be out of luck. :-/

Is there any redeeming value at all? I am a little disappointed with my decision.

Edit: I have contacted GOG with a request for a refund anyway but considering their policies I am not holding my breath.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 am Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

COI has an additional Historical Campaign....

KG_Brandenburg

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 am Post subject: Re: CC3 GOG: A couple issues I need help with. Reply with quote

1st of all.. You are trying to run CC3 that came out in 1999 on an OS such as Win 10.. CCIII works fine on Win 7 other than the crash when opening the scenario.. I do the workaround  
- Launch the game.
- Select: "Play a game".
- Return back to the main menu(press 'back' or 'menu').
- Select: "Create a Scenario".
and all is good.. Man, that work around has been around for as long as i can remember

As for COI being rebranded.. Yes and no.. Things were changed under the hood a bit.. The AI seems much more aggressive than on CCIII..Well IMO..

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

Jump to: