Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Pzt_bebusszmski

Rep: 42.7

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm Post subject: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

Hello CC community,

Not so much tech help as advise that I'm looking for here. I am looking at finally getting back to playing some CC, but I currently have the issue of not having a computer  Rolling Eyes  (I have a work laptop, but can't use that for games..).

So now I'm keen to hear from other users what a suitable hardware setup would be to take compatibility into account (I am looking to play CC5/TLD and try LSA out).

Do I need to look for older OS / setups in order to avoid compatibility issues, or can relatively up to date PCs still handle CC5? I'm guessing TLD and LSA would be less of an issue, but I am interested in hearing what sort of experience people have made with playing some of these older games on newer machines so that I can find the right machine to get back to playing some CC5  Very Happy

Any advice is much appreciated!
bebusszmski

Last edited by Pzt_bebusszmski on Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advise Reply with quote

Thats hard to get CC5 to work on modern PC:
First, you will be unable to install it from original media, cause it`s setup is a 16-bit app, completely not supported under 64-bit Windows, and cause original CD was protected by SafeDisc DRM, which do not work in any Windows starting from Vista.  You need to buy game for second time from GOG, or find somewhere a so-called repack.
Second, there is a great trouble with game videos, encoded in ancient Intel Indeo format. While i`m personally was able to find Indeo codec for Windows 7, nothing helps under Win10. You will need to replace .avi files with substitute video files in supported codec, at least for first run (then you can disable videos at all in game settings). Though heard that GOG version have the videos re-coded in modern format.
Third, you need a DirectDraw palette-fixing tool, there are several of such kind, using different methods for different hardware, so there will be a quest to find a working one.
Forth, the speed of current PCs can make a troubles, for animation, AI, sounds. There are several ways to slow-down PC for a target game, but they impose other glitches...

The ultimate way is a VmWare Workstation software with Windows XP installation in it, but it costs 250 USD, not to mention cost of Windows XP itself (unless you keep a disk of it from the past).

So forget about CC5 (or find an old PC/notebook just for it), and get a modern PC without useless compromises.

Pzt_bebusszmski

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

Thanks for your input JFFulcrum.

With the newer machines, I guess this would mean sticking exclusively to the re-releases of the games (TLD, LSA etc.)?

Will this run on the standard setup of a pc, or will some changes need to be made? I saw for example that there were issues with running the game in full screen etc, but it sounds like any computer with a modern OS should work fine with the new releases, correct?

As of now I don't have much use of the machine otherwise to be honest, so I am thinking of either getting hold of an old computer (TLD Spec states windows vista up to windows 10) from somewhere or getting something up to date but purposefully nothing spectacular.

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

My W10 runs CC2-CC5 perfectly, with videos and all. - I didnt have any of the problems JFFulcrum is referring to.
I don't have a CD-Rom so they were all installed from an .ISO of the original discs.

Running a Intel I7-8700 @3.20GHz -3.19GHz; 32 GB RAM; Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080.

Pzt_bebusszmski

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:46 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

Great, I decided to dig out an old laptop which was well beyond it's last legs (performance severely reduced by the last windows update) and surprisingly, a complete wipe of the disk managed to get it up and running again. So TLD works (I didn't realise it also includes classic CC5 on it).

So now my machine is up and running, I just need to see if I need to forward any ports on my router and I should be good to start testing my connection  Very Happy

Hicks

Rep: 31.6
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:03 am Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

If you have issues with the videos I think it's possible to launch the game straight to an options window to disable them by holding ctrl and launching the game?

Pzt_bebusszmski

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 am Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

I did have issues with videos, but was still able to open up the game, but ended up with the purple screen. I was able to resolve this though by changing the display settings to windowed, which was suggested elsewhere here on the forum.

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

In my case in windowed mode some times game became very sluggish, and you can do nothing but close it completely. Likely happens after airstrike or other large explosions. Purple screen - is for what a DirectDraw palette-fixing tool needed, examples are DDHack (uses wrapper dll) or DirectDraw Compatibility Tool (utilizes windows built-in compatibility functions). Unfortunately, for some hardware setups they may not help, especially with certain AMD videocards.

evilwebster

Rep: 49.4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:48 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

I am trying to play old CCV and windows 10 seems to be cutting off the display?

longnez

Rep: 47.1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:40 am Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

Hello,
Someone speaks French ? Could he tell me what to do to prevent my CC from flickering and shaking on my screen? What are the settings to be made with the video card?
thank you

Berger

Rep: 28.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

longnez wrote (View Post):
Hello,
Someone speaks French ? Could he tell me what to do to prevent my CC from flickering and shaking on my screen? What are the settings to be made with the video card?
thank you

If you have this problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3LChAIz20

you must play with windowed mode

longnez

Rep: 47.1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Hardware Setup - Advice Reply with quote

Berger wrote (View Post):
longnez wrote (View Post):
Hello,
thank you

If you have this problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3LChAIz20

you must play with windowed mode

I've windowed mode setting but that doesn't solve my problem, my image flickers on the screen

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Tech Support

Jump to: