Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Author
TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Stwa wrote:
But, imagine if they did can multiplayer. The most immediate effect might be the silence from the ever shrinking circle of Multiplayer Chauvanists, that keep telling us how great multiplayer is. Its been discussed for IONS, but multiplayer is just too weeniefied. There is no drama, no death, and its too politcally correct. And everyone insists on "equal" force for each side. How lame is that?

You like causing trouble, don't you? Smile

I don't see the point in having equal sides. Surely the challenge lies in having a disadvantage?

Stwa wrote:
I'd just destroy the enemy and win that way. - TheImperatorKnight

NO, NO, NO. Only a NOOB does that! There is a company sized OPFOR unit scattered around in the hills. We need Modern Tactics. I used 9 artillery barrages at an average of 12 rounds per barrage. At $1,000 bucks per shell, thats about $108,000 dollars. Next I brought in some Apaches, for schmucks that got scared and stood up after the barrage. After the Apaches, there will be fixed wing strikes, with napalm.

a) How did you find the enemy? Did you scout the positions first with infantry, or just fire away?
b) I wonder how this would work if your enemy had the same level of support as you? Or if they had air superiority?
c) You still destroyed the enemy - so I was right Wink

Bungarra wrote:
Crikey.... lets just see what comes out

Agreed. I'll be shutting up for a while now.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

You still destroyed the enemy - so I was right  Wink  -TheImperatorKnight  

Well, not exactly. I know your specialty is WW2, so I am not surprised that you are not up to snuff on the nuances of Modern Combat.  Laughing

The map was actually a 25x25, not a 40x40, which has about 2.5 times the area.

Well, you gotta figure the bad guys were hiding in the hills, plus I have played this mission before. But, there were over 100 OPFOR soldiers, and as I look around and try to count bodies, I don't see that many. Now for the gruesome details.  Arrow  

1102.5 gallon fuel capacity for Typhoon
370 gallon fuel capacity for Apache
Cost of jet fuel $3 per gallon (July 2013)
Cost of 155mm HE artillery round (apx) $1,000
Cost of Hellfire missle (basic) $25,000 - Note: the cave busters we used would cost more

108 155mm shells (9 barrages at 12 rounds per barrage) = $108,000
12 hellfires/2 birds in Typhoon strikes. $300,000 (Hellfires) + $6,615 (fuel) = $306,615
16 hellfires/1 bird in Apache strikes. $400,000 (Hellfires) + $1,110 (fuel) = $401,110

Total cost of CAS & AS = $815,725
Note: the Typhoon doesn't really carry the Hellfire, but it does in CCMT.

As I feared, OPFOR had a company sized unit with RPGs, AKs, and a few grenade launchers on the AKs.

russ109

Rep: 12.9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:48 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Fantastic, I like Normandy!!!

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

russ109 wrote (View Post):

boo Rus, Boo!!!!!   Shocked

russ109

Rep: 12.9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:57 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

southern_land wrote (View Post):
russ109 wrote (View Post):

boo Rus, Boo!!!!!   Shocked

Ha ha.

How you doing Shane?

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:24 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I love you both! <3

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

nikin wrote (View Post):
The game died with the advent of CC LSA.

Why?

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:36 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I agree with the question of Ivan_Zaitze: Why?

With the advent of LSA/PitF the German player, using the tactic of two units in the same battle area, can now incorporate into battle the tactical reason for the Tiger I, namely as a fire brigade able to run around the battlefield to appear in areas needing shoring up. I have been doing a lot of reading of late and this was the proper use of the Tigers in combat using movement by rail as they generally did not survive the long trek overland without many breakdowns along the way. Luckily for them they generally had an excellent repair crew with each motorized unit able to put many of the breakdowns back into service in a relatively short time. This is incorporate into CC, in some measure, as some of the tracked vehicles do come back into service by the next turn.

The other good reason for the same two units in one area is that then when a different unit takes over an area from a previous unit the replacing unit no longer has to run around to all of the VPs to secure them since they are already in control. With the previous system it created the unrealistic option of having to run around collecting all of the VPs that were already in control. It also gives the defending unit a better advantage, as it should be, on any area under control by a previous unit.

These are the reasons that it would be great if all of the previous mods could be modified to the new system although I am more than happy to get them in any way that you "MOD GODS" can make them up. Many thanks for all of your hard work. Maybe some day I will take the trouble to find out how you guys do it.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):

I agree with the question of Ivan_Zaitze: Why?

With the advent of LSA/PitF the German player, using the tactic of two units in the same battle area, can now incorporate into battle the tactical reason for the Tiger I, namely as a fire brigade able to run around the battlefield to appear in areas needing shoring up.

Agree, the last two releases have been mostly big improvements, the problem for me is that they dumbed down a great feature from LSA when they released PiTF because they changed the way troops are selected which is all nice and a very welcomed improvement since you can replace active troops without losing their stats, but they went the easy route and just dropped the sharing of units from two BG's occupying the same map, because "Drawing units from the reserve BG was not retained for Panthers for a number of reasons. The main reason was because most feedback indicated it was overly complicated, and didn't really justify the amount of UI complexity or confusion it created"

In other words, Matrix thinks you're dumb and did you a favor by dropping the "overly complicated" feature.

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

In other words, Matrix thinks you're dumb and did you a favor by dropping the "overly complicated" feature. -Kanov

Isn't that the same reason the gave for canning direct connect?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):

Isn't that the same reason the gave for canning direct connect?

I think so.

Maybe in the future, the close combat series will be just a series of videos or cinematics because it will be determined by Matrix to be overly complicated to play them.

nikin

Rep: 15.7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

COI
A lot of new bugs. But the attempt to tie the game for a strategic map (MMCC3). But it is almost impossible to use.
This part is also a failure.
This is where the bug is born, when the infantry came under fire - canceled the order to move (even sneak). Further in all Matrix releases!

CCMT
In fact, not related to the Matrix.

TLD
There are obvious advantages.
1) Removed crashes occurred in CC5. This is very serious - in cc5 I interrupted several H2H campaigns for this reason. The game is stable, including Gameranger.
2) Fixed many bugs on the strat map.
3) Editable campaign settings. You can give up the dreary night fights and edit naval/arty/air support and more.

PS The original TLD campaign stupid - I do not recommend playing it.

LSA
2 BG on map. I consider a plus, though doubtful (incredible flexibility in a short time).
Further only disadvantages.
1) Bug with a loss H2H save. Again? WTF
2) The new scale maps (buildings, roads, etc.). Incredible ugliness, especially while maintaining the same measure of length.
Please evaluate this nonsense. If you opted out of the game prescribed length. And use as a base - the soldiers size (for maps, vehicles).It turns out that it is necessary to recalculate all the range in the game + recalculate the height of all elements (logical if the house has become wider and the height should be increased). Done that? - no, The grenade was flying on a 30 game meters and remains. And she do not care what the size of houses, roads and everything else changed. And you want to play this garbage? All this is equally true for PITF.
3) Data - shit. In one way or another applies to all of the original games. This part is very bad (see point 6).
4) Locked units - crap.
5) Bridges - made with bugs.
6) Subtotal - no mods for the game. It shows. Normal players rarely play in the original. It is always better to wait for an adequate mod (i not about LSA GJS anyway).
7) Grand total - H2H meaningful game impossible.

PITF
Experiments continue. No direct connect, 21 unit, new recruitment system, 32bit color, big trees, towed guns. Brrrr.
Still, it was announced that this is the last game on this engine. Lied?
But, as I said, most of the community - freaks. Will eat anything they give.

Cheers, nikin

Last edited by nikin on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

TLD..The Present/future for CC Players;)

heia Safari!!

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I love how everyone has their favourite CC games and is very opinionated as to which ones are the absolute best and which ones are the absolute worst. This is proof that the developers (past and present) have got things wrong. Each game in the series should improve on the last - but they don't - some get worse or stay the same or maybe get slightly better. So this means I can argue that PitF is good, whilst you can argue that it isn't. I can say CC2 is my favourite, whilst you stay loyal to CC5.

And an example of this -

Quote:

Except this is a game I don't have, nor would I wish to have.
Didn't like CC5 (unmodded obvs) so why would I buy the remake? Especially when Nikin says the LTD campaign is "stupid".

And there you have it. All this proves is that instead of improving the series each step at a time, the developers have been making questionable changes which haven't necessarily improved the game at all, but have changed the feel of each game.

So when I see -

Quote:

... I just think, yep, we're never going to agree until they bring out a game that is clearly superior to anything that's come before it. Which is why I'm hopeful that the CC The Bloody First's new campaign system gets it right and is liked by all.

But it clearly won't be Sad

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

nikin

Rep: 15.7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

DAK_Legion modder actually. Therefore, it may see more than others. Probably you have it mixed up with someone.

In fact, there is no holy war. Smart understand. Others can play anything, even WoT.

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I think, ultimately, there will never be a game that everyone likes. I see definite improvements in Panthers that I like. I know from some previous games that the Panther was never really given the armor protection from the front that it should have to the point that I preferred the Tiger I to it as it generally lasted longer in battle. And I know that the Tiger was not as well protected from the front anyway. I like the way the units are chosen as that way some armor nut doesn't get to just pick a large amount of them without also choosing the infantry and the other supporting weapons to create a combined arms team. I know there were times that I would have loved to choose maybe an MG42 but I couldn't really forgo a tank to do that.

From my point of view, mind you, I don't really play H2H so I am just coming from the standpoint of AI, but I am thoroughly enjoying Panthers. I guess to me all this nitpicking of the game I don't really understand. Most of it seems so trivial to me. I just want to have a challenge and enjoy the game.

From the standpoint of Realism vs Playability that I have considered lately after doing very extensive reading of borrowed books and books that I recently acquired, on the Western Front the Germans were lucky to have achieved almost any victories. With the Allies having almost complete mastery of the air as well as on-call heavy artillery, to think of really any of these games in a realistic way is somewhat misplaced. From history we know that the German Wehrmacht had a number of days for the Bulge without having to worry about air interdiction and ultimate destruction. But this and the shortage of fuel severely hampered what they could achieve at the end. I was reading where Peiper was told by his superiors to not worry about his flanks during the Bulge and to just keep going. Well, he eventually ran out of fuel and ended up sneaking his way back to Germany. Some of these things are fine in a realistic sense but how much can you do and still have good playability. I guess it all depends on what your victory conditions are. When I played Russian Campaign and then COI I knew that ultimately I would lose in a sense. I just got satisfaction out of destroying as many Russian tanks as possible and delaying the end for as long as possible, which is eventually what the Germans ended up doing on the Eastern Front even though they realized they would never triumph. I was reading somewhere that either the Germans or the Allies, or both, figured that the ratio of tank loses would be somewhere in the area of 5 to 1 for the Allies on the Western Front and more like 8 to 1 for the Russians. When I look at my own statistics I use that as a guide to see if I am doing well. The challenge for me is knowing that I only have so much German armor to accomplish what I need to do. Makes it pretty exciting.

As I said on a previous entry: at best these games are simulations.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
I love how everyone has their favourite CC games and is very opinionated as to which ones are the absolute best and which ones are the absolute worst. This is proof that the developers (past and present) have got things wrong. Each game in the series should improve on the last - but they don't - some get worse or stay the same or maybe get slightly better. So this means I can argue that PitF is good, whilst you can argue that it isn't. I can say CC2 is my favourite, whilst you stay loyal to CC5.

And an example of this -

Quote:

Except this is a game I don't have, nor would I wish to have.
Didn't like CC5 (unmodded obvs) so why would I buy the remake? Especially when Nikin says the LTD campaign is "stupid".

And there you have it. All this proves is that instead of improving the series each step at a time, the developers have been making questionable changes which haven't necessarily improved the game at all, but have changed the feel of each game.

So when I see -

Quote:

... I just think, yep, we're never going to agree until they bring out a game that is clearly superior to anything that's come before it. Which is why I'm hopeful that the CC The Bloody First's new campaign system gets it right and is liked by all.

But it clearly won't be Sad

I think that two people can play a campaign TLD without any kind of problem
I think that a person can PORT a OLD Mod to TLD.if I did not create more port is because I did not want...I like to involve the future players port to whom they are finalized and improve for everyone else....matrix perhaps not be happy with my work so it seems when now sells mods.
I think that TLD can avail all the maps created for CC3(your favourite is CC2 but for me the best CC3 and CCMT)
The present and future is a game that you can connect with another person in the world and play CC without PRLOBLEM,no bugs,no NASTY MESSAGES,etc.....

all this right now I think...the present and future.....TLD

heia Safari!!

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

The new scale maps [LSA] (buildings, roads, etc.). Incredible ugliness, especially while maintaining the same measure of length. -nikin

Agree entirely. The entire mapping concept since LSA has gone haywire. As a general rule I don't like ugly maps.  Very Happy

Fortunately for me, there are plenty of CCM, CC4, and CC5 maps, and modifcations of those maps.

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I guess to me all this nitpicking of the game I don't really understand. Most of it seems so trivial to me. -Schmal_Turm

Ya think  Question  Laughing

That's what older, underempolyed geeks do. (tirvial nitpicking)  Very Happy

It's really aggravating. And then toss in the never ending MP Chavanism, that just won't go away, despite the fact that hardly anyone does MP.  Laughing

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

all this right now I think...the present and future.....TLD -DAK Legion

Agreed. I really thought that the lifers and uppers here at CCS would push mods to TLD. I was almost under the impression that would be the case.

But, Cathartes (perhaps a Matrix employee), wants to do LSA and PitF. That is fine with me, but perhaps Mr. Cathartes, wouldn't mind porting GJS to TLD.  Razz

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to: