Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1252
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
 Author
AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:56 am Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Comparing Saddam's Iraq to the Ukraine is a bit premature. The Ukraine has not taken over a neighbouring country or started killing its own citizens

By 2003 Iraq occupied non, nor killed its people in any grater number than many other repressive regimes.

The [official] reson for Iraq 2 war was WMD.

BTW, isn’t it better that the people makes there "freedom fight" with out all the killing?

Or does that only apply when its in the West’s interest?

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

sieterayos

Rep: 13.4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
I can see you are as open to reason as the criminals from whom you take your political cue. -sieterayos

I suppose you directed this comment to me?

FWI,

The bolded italisized comments in red fonts within the posts that you quoted are not MY words, but rather quotes from articles held within the Wiki. The underlined phrases in those same posts are actually links to the same Wiki articles, so forumites can check them out and determine for themselves if they are germain to this conversation.

Remember to click on the underlined phrases (they are somewhat obvious) to take you to the actual article.  Idea

Here, you can practice with this one.  Arrow Elections in Iraq

What you quote, unless you qualify it, is going to be taken as something you believe to be true and that you advocate on this forum. There is a consistency in what you choose to quote and what you choose not to quote. It adds up to the general and thoroughly criminal political line of US imperialism.

I don't give a flying *&$% whether as part of their propaganda campaign CIA stooges declared the 2005 elections in Iraq to be the most free and fair in the country's history or that US imperialism and its lackeys criticise Putin for this that or whatever. In the first case, the elections were illegal under international law for infinitely more justifiable reasons than the Crimean referendum, and in the second, filthy pots, each  calling the other black is not a contest in which I take sides.

The side I advocate for is that of the international working class which currently enjoys neither statehood, political party as far as I'm aware, and therefore no "official" representatives. The policies I put forward, I believe will further the interests of the international working class.  To concieve such policies, it is necessary to understand the dynamics of the imperialist and capitalist world we live in. The US is seeking the dismemberment of the Russian Federation. Their machinations and provocations towards that end are the source of the current crisis.

Here's a word for you to look up and admire as if it were a mirror-

Obfuscate.

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Can't really say he/Soviets were more evil than hitler at the time as they didn't initiate a war that engulfed the planet. hitler was responsible for that and directly responsible for more deaths.

I dont belive Hitler/germany alone started WW2, ever Heard of the  Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov%E2%80%93Ribbentrop_Pact  

Indeed not. The second world war, a continuation of the first, was the product of an imperialist relationship. That of the established empires of France and Britain attempting to protect what they regarded as "theirs" and the new comers, primarily Germany and the US, barging in for a cut of the action. In both wars, the Ukraine was the strategic german objective, as it most probably remains today, though admittedly I can not justify that claim.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Assuming we are to judge the "evil" of an individual or regime by the raw figures of their victims- a big assumption- that leaves Stalin/USSR trailing far behind the US. Quite apart from the extermination of the indigenous Americans, the holocaust of slaves, the victims of colonial oppression and the first concentration camps- a US invention in the Philippines, and the obvious casualties of US imperialist aggression in, for the sake of brevity, Iraq, Afghanistan, Panama, Honduras, Chile, Nicaragua and Indonesia, Vietnam, there are the countless millions who die each and every year from poverty and starvation, held in subjugation by the US, its proxies and supported regimes who favour US banks and corporations.

The Polish historian W?adys?aw Konopczy?ski has suggested that concentration camps originated in Poland during the Bar Confederation rebellion (1768-1772), when the Russian Empire established three concentration camps for Polish rebel captives awaiting deportation to Siberia. -w

Concentraion Camp

Sieterayov: the above underlined phrase is a link to an article in the Wiki. I hope you used the "practise link" I supplied in my previous post. Also, it would help me a great deal, if you could cut down on the run-on sentences. Its no biggy, we all do it from time to time. Thanks ...

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:50 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
Assuming we are to judge the "evil" of an individual or regime by the raw figures of their victims- a big assumption- that leaves Stalin/USSR trailing far behind the US. Quite apart from the extermination of the indigenous Americans, the holocaust of slaves, the victims of colonial oppression and the first concentration camps- a US invention in the Philippines, and the obvious casualties of US imperialist aggression in, for the sake of brevity, Iraq, Afghanistan, Panama, Honduras, Chile, Nicaragua and Indonesia, Vietnam, there are the countless millions who die each and every year from poverty and starvation, held in subjugation by the US, its proxies and supported regimes who favour US banks and corporations.

The Polish historian W?adys?aw Konopczy?ski has suggested that concentration camps originated in Poland during the Bar Confederation rebellion (1768-1772), when the Russian Empire established three concentration camps for Polish rebel captives awaiting deportation to Siberia. -w

Concentraion Camp

Sieterayov: the above underlined phrase is a link to an article in the Wiki. I hope you used the "practise link" I supplied in my previous post. Also, it would help me a great deal, if you could cut down on the run-on sentences. Its no biggy, we all do it from time to time. Thanks ...

In modern usage, that is the arbitrary internment of civilians, I think you'll find the US and British Empire led the way.

I'm afraid I don't understand your term "run-on sentences."

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

In modern usage, that is the arbitrary internment of civilians, I think you'll find the US and British Empire led the way... I'm afraid I don't understand your term "run-on sentences". -sieterayov

I read the article, and the definition changed after the experiences in the Nazi camps, implying at least to me, that the Germans led the way, hence the modern defintion.

You might try finding support for your assertions and including them in your original posts, because I have a funny feeling your just trying to blow infammatory bullshit into the forum for your own amusement. Again, no biggy, we have all done it ourselves at some point in our lives. Thanks ...

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:37 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Quite apart from the extermination of the indigenous Americans, the holocaust of slaves, the victims of colonial oppression and the first concentration camps- a US invention in the Philippines, and the obvious casualties of US imperialist aggression in, for the sake of brevity, Iraq, Afghanistan, Panama, Honduras, Chile, Nicaragua and Indonesia, Vietnam, there are the countless millions who die each and every year from poverty and starvation, held in subjugation by the US, its proxies and supported regimes who favour US banks and corporations. -sieterayov

While epidemic disease was by far the leading cause of the population decline of the American indigenous peoples after 1492, there were other contributing factors, all of them related to European contact and colonization. One of these factors was warfare. According to demographer Russell Thornton, although many lives were lost in wars over the centuries, and war sometimes contributed to the near extinction of certain tribes, warfare and death by other violent means was a comparatively minor cause of overall native population decline. -wiki

Population History of Indigenous Americans

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

sieterayos wrote (View Post):
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Can't really say he/Soviets were more evil than hitler at the time as they didn't initiate a war that engulfed the planet. hitler was responsible for that and directly responsible for more deaths.

I dont belive Hitler/germany alone started WW2, ever Heard of the  Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov%E2%80%93Ribbentrop_Pact  

Indeed not. The second world war, a continuation of the first, was the product of an imperialist relationship. That of the established empires of France and Britain attempting to protect what they regarded as "theirs" and the new comers, primarily Germany and the US, barging in for a cut of the action. In both wars, the Ukraine was the strategic german objective, as it most probably remains today, though admittedly I can not justify that claim.

Siet, about Uk and France, I agree.

But the question was who actually started the war..
It was not British and/or French soldiers who stepped over the border on the 1 st & 17:th September 1939, in full agreement.

And don’t forget that [Soviet]-Russia was moving forward to its old western empire borders.

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
In modern usage, that is the arbitrary internment of civilians, I think you'll find the US and British Empire led the way... I'm afraid I don't understand your term "run-on sentences". -sieterayov

I read the article, and the definition changed after the experiences in the Nazi camps, implying at least to me, that the Germans led the way, hence the modern defintion. [/color]
The meaning might have changed after WW2 but if you read your Polish historian, he claims the Russian "concentration camps" were for interning rebels prior to moving them. The US and British camps, then, fall firmly into the modern use of the term into which use we were both born. Did you look up obfuscation?

Stwa wrote (View Post):
You might try finding support for your assertions and including them in your original posts, because I have a funny feeling your just trying to blow infammatory bullshit into the forum for your own amusement. Again, no biggy, we have all done it ourselves at some point in our lives. Thanks ...
No, I don't deal with such BS, and you will find several references to material in my first posts in this thread. perhaps if you could specify any assertions you want supported, I can help.  Very Happy

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

But the question was who actually started the war..
It was not British and/or French soldiers who stepped over the border on the 1 st & 17:th September 1939, in full agreement.

And don’t forget that [Soviet]-Russia was moving forward to its old western empire borders.

We may be talking at crossed purposes Stalky, but I'll continue because I like the sound of my own keyboard.

If we're looking purely at who crossed a border first, it has to be Germany that started the war. That Russia was criminally complicit in this arrangement is neither here nor there in that technicality, and neither did the Western Allies declare war on Russia as a result of their annexing eastern Poland. We could go to how Poland acquired that territory in 1921 through an unprovoked attack on the Soviet Union, but that's for another day.

By mentioning the Molotov-Ribentropp Pact, though, you are taking a step down the road to investigating the reasons for the war, which, if you continue, will eventually take you to economy, where the origins of all  wars are to be found. I'm not in any way saying that who crossed a border first is irrelevant in determining responsibility for a war. But I do dispute that it is the be all and end all of the question. The fact does not give the reason. Without the reason the underlying cause remains a mystery. Facts taken out of context are the sustenance of every duplicitous and disingenuous argument given to obscure the real relations of the world.

Russia was undoubtedly attempting to advance its borders westwards and, as with the Nazis with their expansionism, it did not shirk from criminal intrigue and violations of neutrality to achieve that. However, the differing economic imperatives of Stalin's Russia and Hitler's Germany simply don't allow one to be equated with the other, whatever the similarities of their outer form.

German finance capital was stifled by the old world empires and sought to break out into the world through war, conquest and, in WW2, the establishment of an autarchic economic hegemony under Germany's rule. As was seen by the subsequent lack of economic integration of Eastern Bloc countries, Russia was not driven by finance capital seeking lucrative investment opportunities. Russia had no interest in seeking protection through spreading a revolution which had been extinguished within its own borders, this could only rekindle the flame of revolution in Russia itself. Stalin's Russia sought to defend itself through the annexation of buffer territory while it hoped to catch up economically with the West. A forlorn hope, given the internal contradictions of an unregulated economy, but not one that was going to launch a world war. That would defeat the object of the exercise.

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:06 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

The US and British camps, then, fall firmly into the modern use of the term into which use we were both born. -sieterayov

During the 20th century, the arbitrary internment of civilians by the state reached a climax with Nazi concentration camps (1933–1945). As a result, the term "concentration camp" today carries many of the connotations of "extermination camp" (or "death camp"), and is sometimes used synonymously with these terms by people who are unaware of its original pre-1933 usage. Not all Nazi concentration camps were "extermination camps". Many were used primarily to house forced laborers. The inmates in these camps were held there for the purpose of exploitation, rather than for extermination. -wiki

Concentration Camp

So, to believe your BS, someone would have to prove that the American Camps in the Phillipines in 1902 were deliberately set up for the express purpose of exterminating the residents of the camp.

And, if so established, me thinks you would then have to realize that the Spanish camps in Cuba in 1897 were also extermination camps. It is fairly clear to me that the American and Spanish camps were not established with the express intent to exterminate the inhabitants of the camps, and therefore do NOT fit the tenants of the modern definition of same.

So, unless new info arrives, and since I do not believe you to be stupid, I will just conclude that you are trolling for amusement.  Laughing

Last edited by Stwa on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

you are taking a step down the road to investigating the reasons for the war, which, if you continue, will eventually take you to economy, where the origins of all  wars are to be found. .

Siet

I do agree that many reasons for war can be found in economy. However not all wars. Sweden has for example; one war started due to a King felt his popularity was going down… Another is the UK/Argentinean Falkland war.. Also that due to people at home, due to failing popularity… [yes, economy failing]…
And we can fined many wars like this, started due to abstracting the population at home, and spur national feelings, trying to make us forget the incompetence of the unpopular rulers. Shifting focus, playing on safty and nationalism..
May we fined wars started due to strategic safety.. ?

The question is what Russia is doing now, and why?

I can imagine that Russia feels like NATO/West is closing in on them. Baltic states = NATO. Poland, and many of the East Euro states, former WP countries are now in NATO.
NATO flirted with Georgia, making the leaders there having a fit of hubris. Can’t help but feel that NATO/West ought to think of the consequence of there flirting with Russians neighbors. If NATO/West is not prepared to start WW3 over Georgia, thus nuclear war, then they should not flirt with Georgia in first place. No?

And now we have Ukraine.

A question US ought to ask them self, what if China would make a defence agreement with Mexico, station some million soldiers there and hardware..  How did US react to Cuba and the missiles? Somewhere there ought the Russians feelings be today, maybe…?

Though Putin may also Shifting focus.. ?

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
The US and British camps, then, fall firmly into the modern use of the term into which use we were both born. -sieterayov

During the 20th century, the arbitrary internment of civilians by the state reached a climax with Nazi concentration camps (1933–1945). As a result, the term "concentration camp" today carries many of the connotations of "extermination camp" (or "death camp"), and is sometimes used synonymously with these terms by people who are unaware of its original pre-1933 usage. Not all Nazi concentration camps were "extermination camps". Many were used primarily to house forced laborers. The inmates in these camps were held there for the purpose of exploitation, rather than for extermination. -wiki

Concentration Camp

So, to believe your BS, someone would have to prove that the American Camps in the Phillipines in 1902 were deliberately set up for the express purpose of exterminating the residents of the camp.

And, if so established, me thinks you would then have to realize that the Spanish camps in Cuba in 1868-1878 were also extermination camps. It is fairly clear to me that the American and Spanish camps were not established with the express intent to exterminate the inhabitants of the camps, and therefore do NOT fit the tenants of the modern definition of same.

So, unless new info arrives, and since I do not believe you to be stupid, I will just conclude that you are trolling for amusement.  Laughing

Do you even bother to read the references you supply?

".. the term "concentration camp" today carries many of the connotations of "extermination camp" (or "death camp"), and is sometimes used synonymously with these terms by people who are unaware of its original pre-1933 usage. Not all Nazi concentration camps were "extermination camps". "

Clearly I am someone aware of its pre-1933 usage, but believe about me what you will.

Your pedantry, however, serves only to distract yourself from the original point which you have nowhere even attempted to refute, that with regards to raw figures of killing, the US ruling class holds the crown over all contenders.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Quote:

Absolutely AT_Stalky. My intentions there were not to bring in here (and not start another "war" with our eastern friends here). I am pretty much "read up" on the axis aligned partners that carved up Poland together.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:32 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

you are taking a step down the road to investigating the reasons for the war, which, if you continue, will eventually take you to economy, where the origins of all  wars are to be found. .

Siet

I do agree that many reasons for war can be found in economy. However not all wars. Sweden has for example; one war started due to a King felt his popularity was going down… Another is the UK/Argentinean Falkland war.. Also that due to people at home, due to failing popularity… [yes, economy failing]…
And we can fined many wars like this, started due to abstracting the population at home, and spur national feelings, trying to make us forget the incompetence of the unpopular rulers. Shifting focus, playing on safty and nationalism..
May we fined wars started due to strategic safety.. ?

The question is what Russia is doing now, and why?

I can imagine that Russia feels like NATO/West is closing in on them. Baltic states = NATO. Poland, and many of the East Euro states, former WP countries are now in NATO.
NATO flirted with Georgia, making the leaders there having a fit of hubris. Can’t help but feel that NATO/West ought to think of the consequence of there flirting with Russians neighbors. If NATO/West is not prepared to start WW3 over Georgia, thus nuclear war, then they should not flirt with Georgia in first place. No?

And now we have Ukraine.

A question US ought to ask them self, what if China would make a defence agreement with Mexico, station some million soldiers there and hardware..  How did US react to Cuba and the missiles? Somewhere there ought the Russians feelings be today, maybe…?

Though Putin may also Shifting focus.. ?

If you think of economy in the broader sense, including the social relations of production and class conflicts that flow from these, I'd say we seem pretty much in agreement.

What you observe in NATO closing in on Russia is not an accident that the US would refrain from if its leaders were more empathic with the Russians. It is a deliberate, calculated policy detailed by Zbigniew Brzezinski in "The Grand Chessboard". The global community is not one in which states and power blocs consider the feelings of their competitors. It is a ruthless strategy game kept secret from the mass of the worlds population and which today threatens world war three at every new turn. Behind threadbare and hypocritical pretexts of democratic rights, legality and suchlike, the great powers manoeuvre to grasp each other by the throat. Appeals to these psychopaths will fall on deaf ears. They must be removed and the commanding heights of economy, the great banks and corporations, put under democratic control to serve social needs.

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Your pedantry, however, serves only to distract yourself from the original point which you have nowhere even attempted to refute, that with regards to raw figures of killing, the US ruling class holds the crown over all contenders. -sieterayov

Well, my points are progressing, but just not as fast as you would like. Partly because I am slower now days, but also because of your constant effort with every post to obscure facts. On the forums, your posts aren't really classified as lies per se, but rather the rants of a troll that is just amusing himself. So when it goes slow, it is less enjoyable for you.

Your first point created the impression that the US planned a systematic extermination of indigenous peoples (their non-combatants) from North America. You know that is total BS. My response is on page 8. You chose the word "extermination" so that forumites might think it was pre-meditated and always viloent, which is not true.

Your third point led forumites to believe the US invented the concentration camp. After some time, we now know that is total BS no matter which defintion we apply. The pre 1933 definition according to the Wiki article would have Russia as the inventor of the first concentration camp, and using the later defintion, it would be Germany. My responses are on page 7 and 8.

So far your points have something in common. You are trying to relate deaths of civilians caused by disease or famine to the US Government, while avoiding making the same correlation to other nations, like Spain. But in so doing, you attempt to insinuate that all these people were violently exterminated in a PRE-MEDITATED scheme. It's already a slippery slope for you, because we will discuss 1933 Ukraine at some point.

sieterayos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
Your pedantry, however, serves only to distract yourself from the original point which you have nowhere even attempted to refute, that with regards to raw figures of killing, the US ruling class holds the crown over all contenders. -sieterayov

Well, my points are progressing, but just not as fast as you would like. Partly because I am slower now days, but also because of your constant effort with every post to obscure facts. On the forums, your posts aren't really classified as lies per se, but rather the rants of a troll that is just amusing himself. So when it goes slow, it is less enjoyable for you.

Your first point created the impression (at least in my mind, becuase of its coupling with your other points), that the US planned a systematic extermination of indigenous peoples from (presumably) North America. You know that is total BS. My response is on page 8. You chose the word "extermination" so that forumites might think it was pre-meditated and always viloent, which is not true.

Your third point led forumites to believe the the US invented the concentration camp. After some time, we now know that is total BS no matter which defintion we apply. The pre 1933 definition according to the Wiki article would have Russia as the inventor of the first concentration camp, and using the later defintion, it would be Germany. My responses are on page 7 and 8.

I have nowhere obscured facts. On the contrary, I bring them to light and put them into historical context. Could it be that context and relationship, which give facts meaning, you take for obscuring them? The upside down world of the common pragmatist!

"Quite apart from the extermination of the indigenous Americans, the holocaust of slaves, the victims of colonial oppression and the first concentration camps- a US invention in the Philippines..."

The extermination of indigenous Americans was certainly, in part, deliberate, a result of the 1830 Indian Removal Act and policies resulting from the ideas of Manifest Destiny. Beyond physical extermination, the forcible assimilation of indigenous children  to be brought up and brutalised by "Christians" to live like Europeans also constitutes an attempt, largely successful, to exterminate cultures and indigenous ways of life.

Yes, the US did invent the concentration camp but actually, it's not central to my argument. The US used concentration camps in which thousands died of disease and summary executions.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Quote:
The US used concentration camps in which thousands died of disease and summary executions.

You do realize those summary executions go as far back as the Ancient Egyptians that we know of and probably even farther? Not to mention, I wouldn't call internment camps (1940's) concentration camps, and would stop short of calling what you are describing as concentration camps the Indian internment camps.

Was the trail of tears a bloodbath? it certainly was. My father in law passed away 10 years ago at the age of 88 and was bitter, a full blooded Cherokee, as is my wife. Still, that is not running people into buildings and poisoning them with -0- chance of survival. many Cherokee's made the trip to North Carolina, as hard as it was.

You Sir, are twisting facts.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:28 pm Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Yes, the US did invent the concentration camp but actually, it's not central to my argument. The US used concentration camps in which thousands died of disease and summary executions. -sieterayov

The Spannish camps in Cuba seem to predate the American camp in the Phillipines?

After Arsenio Martínez Campos had failed to pacify the Cuban rebellion, the Conservative government of Antonio Cánovas del Castillo sent Weyler out to replace him. This selection met the approval of most Spaniards, who thought him the proper man to crush the rebellion. While serving as a Spanish general, he was called "Butcher Weyler" because hundreds of thousands of people died in his concentration camps.

He was made governor of Cuba with full powers to suppress the insurgency (rebellion was widespread in Cuba) and restore the island to political order and its sugar production to greater profitability. Initially, Weyler was greatly frustrated by the same factors that had made victory difficult for all generals of traditional standing armies fighting against an insurgency. While the Spanish troops marched in regulation and required substantial supplies, their opponents practiced hit-and-run tactics and lived off the land, blending in with the non-combatant population. He came to the same conclusions as his predecessors as well—that to win Cuba back for Spain, he would have to separate the rebels from the civilians by putting the latter in safe havens, protected by loyal Spanish troops. By the end of 1897, General Weyler had relocated more than 300,000 into such "reconcentration camps".

This article goes on to state that Weyler learned this "tactic" by studying Tcumseh Sherman in Civil War days.

Valeriano Weyler

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:27 am Post subject: Re: The Ukraine Reply with quote

Yes, the US did invent the concentration camp but actually, it's not central to my argument. The US used concentration camps in which thousands died of disease and summary executions. -sieterayov

BTW, me thinks this is the explanation for the summary executions. Harsh indeed, but of imprisioned combants, and therefore outside the realm of all definitions of concentration camp, which I believe requires us to consider the interments of civilians. Maybe you were trying to lead us to believe the American's were executing civilians?

And if I am not mistaken, the pre 1933 definition of concentration camp does NOT require violence to the internees of the camp. Only the post 1933 defintion (an extermination camp actually) requires that, and it also requires the pre-planned intention to exterminate ALL of the internees. It would be logical if the the camp included GAS CHAMBERS, there is some evidence for pre-meditation. You know, a system that could kill alot of internees in a short amount of time.  

And also notice the "war of extermination" that Bell was planning, seems to be refering to enemy combatants, not the civilians that were interned in the safe zones of the Phillipine Camps.

One circular by Bell explained, when an American was "murdered", soldiers were instructed to "by lot select a P.O.W.--preferably one from the village in which the assassination took place--and execute him."

Another circular rationalized that "it is an inevitable consequence of war that the innocent must generally suffer with the guilty" and that "a short and severe war creates in the aggregate less loss and suffering than a benevolent war indefinitely prolonged."

Bell warned his commanders that young officers should not be restrained or discouraged without excellent reason. "It is not necessary to seek or wait for authority from headquarters to do anything or take any action which will contribute to the end in view."

Bell reasoned that since all natives were treacherous, it was impossible to recognize "the actively bad from only the passively so."

Chaffee received copies of Bell's directive and was aware of Bell's plan to launch a what the anti-imperialists labeled a "war of extermination".

Most notable of Bell's numerous engagements with the Filipinos was that near Porac in the island of Luzon, in which he was wounded while leading a charge. Despite his alleged war crimes, the U.S. awarded Bell the Medal of Honor, for "gallantry in action".

Franklin Bell

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Jump to: