Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1240
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:47 am Post subject: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug) Reply with quote

Heres a video example with a small convoy of troops and anti-tank guns.

Link

Here the major bug. This bug is inherited from Close Combat Marines of 2004. Watch closely...

Link

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:52 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

That is a weird bug, it certainly speeds up towing if your not close to a vehicle. I was thinking of buying Panthers in the Fog recently, when it went on sale there for $20.00US.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

FYI MOOXE I posted a link to the bug video on the Matrix PiTF technical support forum.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Same bug appears in CCMT as well.  Arrow

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Seems like a great way to bail your troops out from an ambush.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:55 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Imagine how pissed your opponent would be if you used this against him in a H2H match.

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Imagine if the AI was smart enough to do it haha...

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:05 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Whats the maximum distance the guys will teleport to the vehicle?
I see you were at 108m
Personally I couldn't ever get past the horrible towing graphics to ever use it much.
It's like having a fixed hitch.Absolutely comical.

Does the AI even use this feature period let alone from a great distance?

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

I think the graphics of the towing match everything else in game. The gun does move around, its doesn't always stay perpendicular with the truck. Towing is one of those things that can improve the tactics of the game, I like it. I don't play PiTF though. I can certainly see its uses in meeting engagement maps.

In CCM the distances didn't matter. You could mount troops 600m away. I am sure without even testing its the same here. I also noticed a bug in Road to Baghdad that when you dismount troops, the troops end up in the same spot where you mounted them, haven't duplicated it in PiTF though.

I doubt the AI uses it. Wouldn't be hard to test in a custom scenario with see all enemy troops turned on.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

The fact that it is possible to mount a vehicle no matter how far away the troops are might be the reason they disabled mounting for the AI. Anyway I think it is good that the option to move units around faster exists. Especially guns. In almost all battles I've played guns have been a static weapon since some of them either take ages to relocate while others won't relocate at all.

I wonder if the mounting option could be extended to tanks? It would be a nice touch to have tank desants to attack the enemy, and also to be able to move troops quickly without having to use trucks in your forcepool when tanks and other units are available. Does anyone know how the cover system works for mounted infantry? Do they get the same cover as crew members? Otherwise maybe it would be possible to use tanks as a way of transporting troops.

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Hi,

In CCMT, making a vehicle (even a tank) mountable by infantry, is a funtion of the game's data. For instance, Bradley IFVs and CFVs are mountable. So are most vehicles, like Humvees, Strykers, LAVs, etc. I suppose, you could make an Abrams mountable too.

The data specifies that the vehicle is mountable and also specifies the maximum number of soldiers that can mount the vehicle.

In CCMT I rarely even use the vehicle mounting feature, and in all this time I have never checked to see if the AI uses the feature.

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

I rarely use the feature as

1) - it is too time consuming. I have lots of other units to look at as well.

2) - AT guns are for defence. You cant attack with a gun. Even if you tow it to the front you have to dismount it and set up away from the tanks or you lose a truck AND a gun.

3) - There are PLENTY of tanks in this game. Whole platoons of them. Dont waste your time on a AT gun in this version. Like bazookas, dont waste your time. If you want to drive trucks go buy the Matrix re-release of "Truck Simulator IV" on special at US$95!

The scope of the battle does not suit towing guns. I mean, by the time your units are with 100 m of each other (typical range for the start of a battle) all guns should be deployed, all infantry out of trucks, trenches dug, ammo stored, weapons loaded etc. Towing guns happens in the strategic movement turn, like setting up HQ, kitchens, latrines etc. I dont see any reason for it to be in the game.

Mounting troops in halftracks however DOES fit, although I imagine in real battle it would be VERY rare if troops got into a truck DURING a fight. They would get out of their transport kilometres before the front line and march to the battle leaving the truck in the rear with the kitchens and HQ.

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:52 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

I agree. Use Tanks, not AT guns.  Exclamation  Idea

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

But if you are an AT gun fan, like moi, you don't need to mount them and drive them around on the map. The key to exciting game play with AT guns (IMHO) is as follows.  Arrow

Never use maps larger than 20x20. The Dasburg map below is actually 13x13.

Never let the Americans use their 3" AT gun.

Never play on woodsie maps, where the trees are planted side by side, like WaR maps.

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Actually, I do agree with everything pvt_Grunt said, especially since the topic relates to mounting in PitF, where the maps are larger than previous map sizes, since the visual scale has changed.

But the PitF deployment tiles are larger too, and I have heard the larger maps are generally 600 meters across on average which could suggest a square map of 25x25 deployment tiles.

But, if you stay inside the map sizes I suggested, then you really don't need the mount gun feature.

In the pic below, my only regret, is I never added Soviets to the WW2 database.

But the map is 15x15 and each deployment tile is 24 meters square. So the map is 360 meters square.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:55 pm Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

I mean do these guys even play the games they are supposed to have created? What's the purpose of testing / testers etc. then?  Such a trivial thing, and yet it is bugged. Great job Matrix Games, as always!  Just leave the fck out of Close Combat and give the source code and all its rights to some other guys.

Ok it is a bit irrelevant here, and has been mentioned a couple of times in the past years. But I mean, there are really talented modders in this community, who dedicate their hearts to the series. If we just gathered enough money as CCS and then bought the rights from Matrix Very Happy  (Ok, it is fantacising here a bit.) But I would really support a kickstarter project for a CC game for instance, developed by some known great modders out here.

Just an idea Smile  A kickstarter for CC, why not?

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Who's still modding?

I see some conversions being done.
I see Southland still makes Maps. I see nobody Heavily involved in modding CC.

That idea you have about buying the source code and having our great modders working on it?
That's already been done.
They go by the name Matrix.

The next full blown Mod your gonna see?
Is coming shortly.

It's called Gateway to Caen,but the Mods aren't free anymore.

As for the teleportation.............
Who really cares?
And are you even surprised with the bugs anymore?
There's no reason to get upset about it anymore,it is what it is.
That's how they look at it,why shouldn't you?

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:11 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

This bug was very easy to spot. It's blatant enough that it should of been spotted during development. A handful of us seen the bug in CCM in 2004. It is a feature that enhances gameplay especially on large maps and i hope it's fixed and included in upcoming titles.

I know the gun towing is not that useful on small maps. Having that feature present is good though for large maps like we see is CCM and CCMT.

Last edited by mooxe on Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total

pt11070

Rep: 15.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:13 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):

Just an idea Smile  A kickstarter for CC, why not?

To recreate this thing would take some serious money and an experienced team of programmers. When you are talking about moders you are talking about design elements and it is true there are very talented people around. The trick with this is funding-marketing-profit formula, unless there is someone with a lot of cash they were willing to risk and invest in a game simulation. Only with cash you would be able to make some serious and visually impressive changes, that we rightly imagine should happen. Matrix is probably doing best they can with what they got. I can imagine they are bunch of freelancers working probably for nothing in order to make a new game.

It seems that the curse of this game is that it could be much better. But if we are to be honest it is good as it is. So, sure if someone got the money to buy it they better have money to develop it properly, because what we have is a shoestring operation as it is. And there is no need to recreate what we already have.

Pt

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:45 am Post subject: Re: Towing guns and mounting troops in PiTF (& MAJOR bug Reply with quote

I was a Beta tester for this game and I have to admit I didn't test the towing of guns at all. I felt the tactical battle was mostly the same as previous games so I spent most nights working the strategic map. I was looking for bugs with stacking, merging, resting BG's.

There were quite a few testers, some more active than others. A lot of bugs and glitches were found, a lot of recomendations were done, others were rejected. One example is the ability to move the in game displays. This was asked for by someone who didnt like it on the left of the map.

We wern't perfect, obviously, as unpaid gamers  Embarassed  and amateur modders. If I did it again I would try to set tasks for testers that would test the new features of the game more thoroughly. It should be more organised and better recorded. Instead it was all a bit chaotic, with many patches and hotfix's being released almost daily. There was a few times I found myself testing a superceded version! - My bad! There was also a very strong deadline which we tested to right up to the last day.

As always, more time and better organisation will produce a better product. Unfortunately the demands of commerce rule as well.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: