Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1227
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Author
Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Soooo. Sulla, I & a lot of others are hearing what you are saying.

That it hasn't turned out like we all would have hoped is to say the least a let down...

We are all passionate about this game , & reality says to me that if it was not for you the CC community would be much poorer

Don't beat yourself up about it.. nor let anybody else.. we all want the same thing... but we don't know how to go about it.

I really do hope TBF go's back to selectable battle units.. or at least the option to do so...

That was why CC5 (& similar) was & still is the most playable game of the lot... why they have shifted from this format is beyond me..

Do you have the source code or does matrix own it?

Just a bit of hope there that.... maybe one day.........

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

First off I'm very sorry to hear about your ill health and how the Co. went under.
Take care of yourself,It's more important than a game or the Mods your trying to save.

It does kinda make sense now.
You guys spent countless hours working on stuff we knew nothing about only to hear TONS of complaints from us when WAR was released.
Kinda makes sense now how so many people involved with CC on the business end no longer participate in the forums.

But from a consumer stand point I cant change my opinion of WAR just because you guys got screwed.

The Girly soldiers is horrible.(I don't know how to fix it)
The deployment bug I've posted is horrible.(Been there since CCIV)
Mortars are still too powerful.(I don't know how to fix it)
LOS is horrible.(I don't know how to fix it,or the time/know how to correct it.Compared to CCIV)
AI is horrible,the AI movement on the strategic map is horrible,the use/non use of support for the AI on the strategic map is horrible.

As for giving US the code or an open source project?
Who here can do it?
I can almost imagine 30 people working on it part time and ending up with another huge mess.Or squabbling over how it should be.

I'd love to see a Free-Deploy editor for the re-releases.
Pzt_Kanov would love to have someone update QClone.
But we don't have those type of guys anymore.
The only person to have done any tools for CC in the past 10 years has been Mafi,cant have one guy,its just too much.

I'm not trying to be mean here,its just the facts from a consumers point of view.
And to honest I wish you hadn't dropped this bomb on us.
Just another dagger for me.Another reinforcement that I'm probably not getting a patch for WAR

Here's hoping TBF will evolve into a game to be worth having on my PC for 20 years like CC has.(Actually since '99 for me)

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:46 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Quote:

First off I'm very sorry to hear about your ill health and how the Co. went under.

I have not read nothing about if Sulla was sick, the unique sick was Eric Young with cancer, very sad obviously.

Quote:
As for giving US the code or an open source project?
Who here can do it?
I can almost imagine 30 people working on it part time and ending up with another huge mess.Or squabbling over how it should be.

I find it impossible if you have not a guy as Steve. At other point, they should have started a kickstarter or release the code years ago, not now when everything is worse for them or him.

Specially I do not like things as this.

"I love the CC". ---------->but first you made a company for sell us the re-releases. Even if you did not put the high price, even if the game is not at your hands, you have your amount of guilt.

What can he offer us with this special critic about the CC owners? Really nothing. At least Steve and Slitherine will give us new games, even if we like them more or less, it is more than launch the guilt to others.

If I had worked at some of this proyects, I´m sure that at least I would take my part of guilt.

Sulla

Rep: 12.6
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Hia Guys,

I have actually thought about Kickstarter. I really do think that working together is the way to go. ALL of us.

When I did the initial mail out from CSO, I got several replies from programmers. What we need is a design. Like I said I have several design docs, by several people. Anyone who wants to read them can. I do however think we need a private forum, anyone interested can sign up. Its just if we or anyone here wants to do this properly it needs to be away from Matrix/Slitherine or anyone else! Open ource once we start and have a project, but until then it would need to be the community and not open to Matrix etc.

I just want a better CC. There are hundreds/thousands of free game engines of all kinds out there. We are really looking at the simplest type of game engine as we still want to down. CC as Mick_xe5 wrote HAS to be top down.

Theoretically I own or my company owns the rights to the code, it was NEVER signed over to Matrix, ergo Matrix had no right to sell it or my company to anyone, but I have learned to be VERY wary. Dave stole far more than just the CC code from me. So now I think it has to be community based. To keep it safe from people like Matrix and Slitherine. I think if we started it would take on a momentum of its own. I know Luer and Attila are gone. But there are still people about! Tszjid? Mafi? Nomada? Platoon, I am sure we can find graphics guys. I was looking at how many have gone, but there are still guys around. We would need a project NDA, but with the aim of going totally open once we are under way. Southern Land told me that he has made his last map after his pc died and he lost all his most recent.

Game engines now are very different from way back and some are very modular. What we need is a clear overall vision. We set a project manager, design team, graphics team, programmers. A test team/head. If we started with an organization/structure of some kind, then you can avoid the chaos. Look at the huge projects that are completed as open source. I know how the industry works. It really is no different than creating a mod! Think about it! With the exception, that you have a clean slate, a good reference model and a good design! I think it has to be community based. To get all we want out of it. I fought to get the code, I wanted what we all want. The problem is that within the framework of the existing engine its essentially not possible. We can go at our own pace. There used to be a CC Open source project. Anyone remember? That was one guy!

Its either do it ourselves or wait for Matrix/Slitherine to deliver. I have been waiting an awful long time now! I want the community to own the game. Lok at the mods for the game, some are truly amazing.

I am pretty sure some of the older modders will be back at some point, the community is far from dead! Our whole world is being taken over by one thing or another and we are left with less and less. Forums are vanishing because of Social Media sites. Sites about history and people are vanishing as Wikipedia becomes the arbiter of all knowledge. [We cannot even add Simtek/CSS/CSO to wiki]

I really think think that community based is the only way we will 1) get what we all want. 2) Keep the game in the community and not be beholden to anyone! 3) Give the game multiple options so its possible to please a wide spectrum of players. In fact keeping it very optionable is one way of ensuring a great base game from day one!

S

Sulla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Stalky, sorry mate, my mistake!

Nomada, I am not here to put up with guilt slinging. I started CSO up again purely so I could keep my beloved game alive and do something for the community again. I have tried to explain what happened.

I know how much of the blame IS MINE. Why do you think I have been gone for 4 years?

S

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Quote:
I have actually thought about Kickstarter. I really do think that working together is the way to go. ALL of us.

Do you want more money? I do not go to put a single coin at one thing which I do not see very very very finished and running. More ore 3 million of dolars for nothing........sorry but here at spain we have thousands of example as this at politics. Search at google "Castellon Airport", more of 150 millions of € for nothing.

Sulla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:50 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Nomada,

I was answering a question. I NEVER GOT PAID the last time, so what more could I get?

S

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Why do you need money for a free proyect made with a free engine? This is a link from a free proyect http://www.stexcalibur.com/ and they did not ask for money.

dj

Rep: 157.5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:02 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Sulla - I vaguely remember now hearing that Keith Z. not having any interest in helping promote the game after Atomic opted-out or lost their financial interest.  It's a shame he is being stubborn about sharing the source code or helping promote mods.  Whatever happened to Atomic, it is totally out of business?

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

@Nomada:  I brought up the Kickstarter (community funding) possibility.

So I think if I have understood correctly, I see now two development possibilities:

1. Work on a new game as it had previously been done for the mods. People work on it on their spare time, noone gets paid (apart from donations etc.). The modders now also can tweak the source code to implement some changes.

2. Make a professional development plan. Explain every process transparently, i.e. who will be involved, the timeline of the project, the required financial plan, etc. Make a Kickstarter campaign and raise funds.

Method (1) is the good old mod development approach. No commercial things involved, every willing modder/developer/tester contributes as they wish.

Method (2) if done correctly is more efficient. It may also result in people dedicating themselves full-time and acquiring support from external programmers/artists. However, why should the supporters trust the developers and give their money prior to obtaining a game is a question which should be answered very transparently. That is why the Kickstarter campaigns for games are usually succesful for people/companies who have already proven themselves as one of the best at what they do and just try to develop something without producer interference. That's why it may not be a good approach in this case.

@Sulla:  By the way I haven't understood the ownership status of the CC source code. So now, Slytherine owns it. And you also claim to own it? What happens if you tweak the code and make a new game? What happens if you make a commercial game and what happens if you just make a free non-profit game?

Last edited by Pzt_Crackwise on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

I do this for fun or a hobby if you want.
I haven't touched my Mod in months and probably won't for months to come.

I'm not one you'd want to rely on to have to work on something.

Even with fishing if I micromanage it to death,down to the littlest detail it takes the fun out of it.

Sorry

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Another thing:

For those familiar with the Jagged Alliance games, a very successful voluntary modding operation (Method (1) described above) was carried out throughout the years for Jagged Alliance 2.

The JA community somehow (I don't remember how) obtained the source code. It was initially written in C and was very tough to mod. Then a team of modders converted it to C++, making it much more easier to modify. Then other people developed the 1.13 mod (basically a huge realism mod) and now that game is being modded endlessly and has transcended the original game in many aspects.

So what I am saying is, it is possible. But it requires dedicated people, who have spare time for such projects. But the worst of all is the CC community has dwindled in numbers in the last years and the number of people who understand from such things decreased a lot also with it.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Tell me, why do we need a different CC game made at parallel? for give the revenge to Sulla? I do think that it be neccesary when Slitherine is making one new. Why do you think that it will be a failure? at least if you think it. Just because it is made by a team of three persons? How many people were working in the re-releases? probably no more.

Sorry but the arguments for new different CC game are zero and I do not know because we must support to the guy who he made the re-releases at first place, I have seen thousands of comments around the world about how these re-releases put the CC community at a slow death. Sorry but it is his fault and now is too late for change the events.

At other point, I go to give you a good proyect, why do you not start a new mod with the incoming Gatheway to Caen? or use your time making better tools for the game? if you love CC games really and you do not love more the money, this is my challenge. If you like CC mods, you have the better source at this moment for them.

Yes, Gatheway to Caen can look as a mod, I feel the same from the CC re-releases but at least GTC has a complete engine with all the features requested for years. Do you remember Sulla how many times have we asked you about load troops in vehicles? because all the community requested it for many time when you were making the re-releases at simtek.Wink

Sulla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Nomada,

I would not build a new CC just for revenge. Having had 1 heart attack, I am not at all into wasting my time.

We worked on and got the men loading into vehicles for CC:AT. We got deployable sandags and fortifications for use in deploy. Numerous things like that were already worked on for AT, but never implemented into CC commercially. Ask Matrix why not!

@DJ

Keith is VERY strange, I met him a few times. He was never the great mind behind CC, that was Doug Walker. Keith was just lucky and he owned Atomic. Destineer own Atomic or the name which is all thats left of it. After Atomic failed on Red Phoenix, that was it, the company was folded. After burning through $3.5 million.

Quote:
At other point, I go to give you a good proyect, why do you not start a new mod with the incoming Gatheway to Caen? or use your time making better tools for the game? if you love CC games really and you do not love more the money, this is my challenge. If you like CC mods, you have the better source at this moment for them.

Ok, I thought this was a useful discussion and that people wanted to know what had happened and maybe get a realistic angle on CC in the future from Slitherine! If not for the re-release [which I GOT NO MONEY FROM] CC would have died already. Nomada I do not need to prove anything to YOU or anyone else. The fact I am on welfare I think says how I was treated and how much I made from CC! JHC.

Well that was kind of pointless. I trust Steve, I dont trust Matrix OR Slitherine!

I have been screwed over so many times in the course of Simtek, but somehow I have to prove to you Nomada?

@ Nomada - I am going back to keep looking for mods and files and updating my useless site Nomada!

Cheers - Sulla

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Sulla. I have nothing against you, only I have told things which probably many people have thought.

About Matrix, I have asked sometimes about the problems and new features, even when you were at charge. Usually I do not hide what I think.

Quote:
If not for the re-release [which I GOT NO MONEY FROM] CC would have died already.

I can agree with it but I know many people which they think how the re-releases were a failure. Probably if you had made a new CC with the same engine from Wacht am Rhein, it had been better.

Quote:
Nomada I do not need to prove anything to YOU or anyone else.

Yes, you are right. You have proven to yourself to the community around all these years. All we have seen how things were...

About mods, there are other thing which many people think and I do not agree with it at 100% but I can not find too arguments for it. You released one game each year and very few mods were made for them because people always was waiting to the next game. At my opinion, there were not too mods because there was not a good way for to make easily a strategic map. I know how most of the people making mods would agree with me at this.

Quote:
@ Nomada - I am going back to keep looking for mods and files and updating my useless site Nomada!

I have not told that it was a useless site. Only I have told how at this moment if you use free servers, you can give a good service and win a lot of good publicity about your work and the work of others. One thing very very very bad from CC series these years, it was the publicity, if you do not enter matrixgames, you could not know about the games. I feel that now it goes to change it a lot with the release at steam, at two days, everybody loading steam service, they will know about Close Combat Gateway to Caen and I´m sure that many people will discover these games.

About your site, you should not have uploaded the old data base because there are threads with spyware, it can be a problem if google detect them and you are added into the black list, I can tell you by experience how difficult is get out the list when you are added.

Take care, Sulla, nobody want see you with another heart attack and please if you love CC games, give a chance to Bloody First, it is our best and fastest hope.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Source Code FREE for all CC Players;)

I manage source code,I create my own mod free for the community;)

an obsolete game with and obsolete enginnery should be free for everyone

heia Safari!!

dj

Rep: 157.5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:10 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Sulla wrote (View Post):

@DJ

Keith is VERY strange, I met him a few times. He was never the great mind behind CC, that was Doug Walker. Keith was just lucky and he owned Atomic. Destineer own Atomic or the name which is all thats left of it. After Atomic failed on Red Phoenix, that was it, the company was folded. After burning through $3.5 million.

Sulla - interesting...I did not know the whole story behind Atomic.  Keith was at the right place at the right time.

That begs the question then, what ever happened to Doug Walker?  Sounds like he's the missing piece that made CC2 and CC3 such a huge success, yet to be duplicated since.

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:02 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

I think the maps looks good. The maps have a far more gritty look than the White washed PITF map. It looks cartoonie yes, but still. Looks nice....

As for the Strategic map. I don't like it. I loved the Strategic map for CC4 and 5. But that's also because Bulge and the break out in the Cotentin peninsula are a far more interesting battlefield too look at, Apposed to the  big green flat earth of France. Should of picked a better operation to simulate.

Added:
When ever i imagine up of a great mod idea, the first idea that starts me thinking is the Strategic map.
And all the great mods have had great locations to use as a strategic map.
E.G Woodlands with Berlin city in the middle ect...
Thats my two cents. Great thread.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/

Last edited by Antony_nz on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Sulla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:45 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Quote:
Sulla - interesting...I did not know the whole story behind Atomic.  Keith was at the right place at the right time.

That begs the question then, what ever happened to Doug Walker?  Sounds like he's the missing piece that made CC2 and CC3 such a huge success, yet to be duplicated since.

@DJ
Doug W, now works at DAS Entertainment. I have no idea why as his boss is a total Shithead! He has worked the as lead dev and project Manager for several years. They build military simulations which is where I found him.

@Nomada
Its hard as language IS a barrier. My Spanish is way worse than your English lol. With Squad Assault, where to begin?

We had 2 programmers who had totally opposite ideas of what SA should be. One would do one thing and then the other would undo it. Eric tried to get them working together as did I, but man..... ! We got to the point where we were passed our release date and we had to go gold. We decided we had to go gold and Eric assured us it would be ready and bugs fixed. Then 4 weeks before we went gold Eric vanished for 5 weeks. Turns out he had got a young girl pregnant and left his wife, which did not help us at all as everything was then on release schedule. Without Eric, we could not get changes made, fixes put in, etc etc. We had no idea of this at the time, we just new Our lead Designer had vanished. All we could do was fix what we could with the 2 devs, then patch it ASAP, hoping Eric would turn up. We had so many really good testers on that game, Sarge, Snr Drill, Boar and tons of others. But if no one is there to listen its kind of hard.

It was like that all the way through, Eric just kept vanishing for one or two weeks. He was knocking off this girl, which was where he was vanishing to.

It was so bad it was almost comical. But was also painful as lots of us had worked hard to make it better!

Squad Assault Second Wave had Doug Walker as lead dev, thats actually MUCH better, have you played it?

S

Sulla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:13 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat Gateway to Caen, a turn back Reply with quote

Quote:
About your site, you should not have uploaded the old data base because there are threads with spyware, it can be a problem if google detect them and you are added into the black list, I can tell you by experience how difficult is get out the list when you are added.

@ Nomada

The attachments were always stored as files outside the DB, so no spyware is possible. Also the import to phpbb, wont allow attachments in the DB so for 2 separate reasons no spyware could be there.

Added to which, the forum has an anti malware module, as well as the server running 2 separate anti Virus programs. Did you think I would put a forum up riddled with spyware?

The source code, belongs to my company. I never signed it over to Matrix and never sold my company to Matrix. When I as ill, Matrix were supposed to look after my company, they took it over effectively. There were numerous contracts I never got paid for. Matrix laid almost everyone off apart from Steve. I did not find out until later, I was in hospital at the time. I had to have weekly venesections for almost 18 months, which is truly crippling. Then my hear gave out, 99% blockage followed by a major e-coli kidney infection. This was when the re-releases were going out and when Matrix cut me out of my company. I have no idea how, except that some kind of not entirely legal action was taken by Dave/Matrix and then refusing to pay me, for anything! So you can see why I am kind of bitter about Matrix. I got the code, brought to Matrix as I thought [Dave was a mate] to have him steal everything from me.

No Nomada, I am way past revenge or regret, what do you do? I made the choices, I only have MYSELF to blame! I am sure Steve will do a fine job on the next engine, but 1 programmer and 1/2 graphic designers is not boding well.

The suggestion of an open source project where everyone can do their bit and everything it completly transparent just seems a good way to get what we have always wanted. We have after all been waiting some 15 years on every release hoping - this time ....... But it never is is it?

S

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to: