Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Luker

Rep: 0.6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:22 pm Post subject: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

Hello. I noticed odd issue. I'm not sure if it's normal or it's a bug. I play campaign at highest possible difficulty level and when my soldiers are idle too long (because I'm defending my position, waiting for enemy so they have Ambush order) they just do own orders like run into unknown location. Why is that?

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

It is because you are playing at 100% difficulty. If you check "Never act on initiative" option, (95% realism rating) this does not happen. Otherwise, when you leave a unit idle for too long, they tend to act on their own.

Luker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

I like to play at high realism settings. I was thinking it might be that, but I thought it's related to situation when they are in high stress (like under fire so they do different order instead of mine). But I wonder if during war something like that was happening? Like situation when I say all squads - defend this position, enemy will be here soon. And when no enemy after 20 minutes they just run forward somewhere with a risk of die. It happened to my gun hidden behind the tree, they moved and died because of this random move. Odd.

Pzt_Crackwise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:01 pm Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

As I said you should check the never act on initiative option, if you don't want such things happening.

It is realistic to some degree, because I am sure in reality some units acted on their own if not issued any commands for a long time. However, real people had real brains and did stuff at least rationally. Unlike real people, your CC soldiers don't have brains. So whatever they do, they will just probably jeopardize their situation and end up getting killed.

I strongly recommend in this game to play with "never act on initiative" and "always obey orders" checked. (70% realism) (especially if playing multiplayer). "Always obey orders" also seems to make the infantry move more properly when assaulting and under fire.

Luker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

Thank you for this explanation. It makes sense. It gives additional thrill anyway so I will leave it checked, just like random disobedience.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 pm Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

You can avoid it by ordering them to ambush/defend every few minutes or so just to keep in touch with them, that way they will stay in position.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:59 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

What the doctor said... every 10 min redo your ambush or defend orders..

we all have those ahhhhh.... what are you doing.....  moments when we forget  Laughing

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

Luker wrote (View Post):
Hello. I noticed odd issue. I'm not sure if it's normal or it's a bug. I play campaign at highest possible difficulty level and when my soldiers are idle too long (because I'm defending my position, waiting for enemy so they have Ambush order) they just do own orders like run into unknown location. Why is that?

It's because the leader of that squad is issuing orders instead of you, they really don't get into trouble too often on initiative.  I had a vickers squad move to a better position to cover down a roadway, than what I had put them in. I think they saw enemy troops moving down it.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:39 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

I always thought this was just a staple with CC.
I had no idea the setting played a part in that.

Guess I'll have to give it a try.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:10 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

If you select "always obey orders" aren't you deactivating morale? Troops will never break down and surrender, might as well play stqrcraft or something. Really useful in japan oriented mods though like okinawa and pacific.

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:29 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
If you select "always obey orders" aren't you deactivating morale? Troops will never break down and surrender, might as well play stqrcraft or something. Really useful in japan oriented mods though like okinawa and pacific.

found this

Morale Failure
When you play an Operation or Campaign, either historical or one you have made with the scenario editor, the Force Morale end-of-battle option is always enabled. You may disable this function by checking the box on the command screen. For individual battles, either historical or self-made, the default setting for Force Morale is off.

The Operations and Campaigns that are included in the game have been designed to be played with Force Morale enabled.
If a battle ends because of a truce or time-out, the battlefield is still split between the forces. In Campaigns or Operations, the deployments for the following cycle are based on how far each side pushed during the previous battle. If a battle ends because of a morale failure, the Battle Group that flees loses 1-3 victory locations depending on the ratio of the winner’s Force Morale to the loser’s Force Morale. In addition, the Battle Group will lose two teams chosen at random from its force mix as a rearguard/breakout force loss penalty. If the victor has 33% more force morale than the loser, the winner will gain one victory location. If the ratio is between 33% and 66% the victor will gain two victory locations. If the ratio is greater than 66% the victor will gain three victory locations. If the fleeing side still has any victory locations left, the field continues to be split based on previous positions; otherwise, the losing side is pushed off the map.
If a Battle Group is pushed off of a map, and there is an unoccupied, friendly map that it can move to, the Battle Group will retreat to the available map. If the Battle Group is able to retreat
NOTE“Be advised that disabling Force Morale will severely alter play balance when playing Operations and Campaigns.”

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Pzt_Crackwise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:39 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

@Kanov:  Back in CC5 multiplayer battles, GCs,Ops as you also remember the common practice was to play with 95% realism, i.e. only "never act on initiative" setting checked. I think checking "always obey orders" was suggested as a remedy to "girly soldiers" problem in the new re-releases.

I am not very sure, if it completely disables individual morale options of soldiers, such as being broken, surrendering etc. What it does as far as I know is that it prevents your troops to stop mid-way of an assault saying "You're mad!" and crawling on their bellies.

Still, someone with more knowledge on this issue could clarify it better. I remember having discussed this with Troger, and he seemed to know more about this.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:52 pm Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):

Yes, and troops will not stop and take cover when fired upon. Instead a squad on the move will often keep moving upright against their target until they have been killed, making them more suitable when playing with Japanese banzai attacks or Russian mass assaults.
The AI is still kind of slow, so it only affects squads already on the move, instead of making the AI attack more often.

fry30

Rep: 2.3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:06 am Post subject: Re: Soldiers doing own orders (odd issue) Reply with quote

Does anyone remember CC1? They still use the original sound file to this day in GTC. However, when they say "In position", in GTC, it just means they've moved to their objective. In the original CC, when you heard something like that, it was because your men had been in place for a while and were itching to get into a fight, redeploy, what have you. I think they even had a sound cue that went, "Waiting for orders!"

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

Jump to: