Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1246
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:05 am Post subject: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.ca/2012/07/wwii-myths-t-34-best-tank-of-war.html

Nice article with references about how the T-34 being so superior was a myth. Very interesting read.

"In the period 1941-44 the production difference in AFV’s was 2-1 in favor of the Soviets (slightly higher if we add Lend Lease) but the exchange ratio was 3.5-1 in favor of the Germans. This means that if the Germans could concentrate all their production in the East the Soviets would run out of tanks."

"The light tanks T-60 and T-70 and the tank-destroyer SU-76 made up the majority of AFV’s in 1941-42 and even in 1943-45 the T-34 comprised roughly half of the Soviet frontline AFV force."

"...lack of turret basket (a rotating floor that moves as the turret turns) for the loader. This meant that the person loading the shells had to follow the movement of the gun and at the same time keep an eye on the floor so he doesn’t trip on the spent casings."

"A Soviet study in 1943 (23) admitted that the Pz IV was superior to their tank, assigning it a combat value of 1.27 to the T-34’s 1.16 (with the Pz III being the base 1.0)."

"The T-34 is the victim of Soviet and German wartime propaganda. The Russians had every reason to build it up as the best tank of WWII. The Germans also overstated its performance in order to explain their defeats."

Its the age old argument, that will be reignited over countless forums when Fury is released. I think there's more to a tank than just a tank. It's an army that makes a tank effective. Too many factors to just say one is better than the other.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:59 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

That's not a secret in Russia and you can say the WAR has prolonged the life of T-34 for so long, otherwise the production would be ceased in early 1942 in favor to T-34M which was a kind of "hybrid" of PzIII and T-34.

jakebullet70

Rep: 39.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

I can see the T34 doing well in the beginning of the war. It was ahead of its time. (1940-41) But by 1943 it was just average but what does make it a war winner is the amount produced. Same goes for the Sherman.

If the allies went to Normady with the T34 there would of been the same complaints about the Panthers and Tigers. It really was no better then the Sherman it was just a few years ahead of it.

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

The T-34 was best as a shock to knock the Germans out of the drunken complacency that they were entertaining that the Russians were going to be an easy victory. Once the numbers of them on the battlefield were considerable they made almost all of the tank and AT German Weaponry at the time, except for the 88, obsolete. Their introduction helped to hasten the Tiger I and the up gunning of all the German tanks that were still able to be. Until the advent of the T-34 and the KV the plans were to have the Tiger at 50mm armor with a short 75. Obviously, that changed considerably. The Tiger I was eventually designed to withstand the 76mm hits from the frontal arc.

I remember reading where Guerderian was relating a conversation with the Russian military observers before the war as both armies were conducting wargames in Russia. The Russian officers were asking if that was all of the tanks the Germans had as they had not brought out the new T-34s at the time. They were surprised to learn that it was. Obviously, the Russians were not impressed by what they saw from the Germans.

Even though the T-34 was eventually outclassed by the Panther the Germans never could approach the production numbers attained by the T-34. It was always a great breakthrough tank.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Dima

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
The T-34 was best as a shock to knock the Germans out of the drunken complacency that they were entertaining that the Russians were going to be an easy victory. Once the numbers of them on the battlefield were considerable they made almost all of the tank and AT German Weaponry at the time, except for the 88, obsolete. Their introduction helped to hasten the Tiger I and the up gunning of all the German tanks that were still able to be. Until the advent of the T-34 and the KV the plans were to have the Tiger at 50mm armor with a short 75. Obviously, that changed considerably. The Tiger I was eventually designed to withstand the 76mm hits from the frontal arc.

I remember reading where Guerderian was relating a conversation with the Russian military observers before the war as both armies were conducting wargames in Russia. The Russian officers were asking if that was all of the tanks the Germans had as they had not brought out the new T-34s at the time. They were surprised to learn that it was. Obviously, the Russians were not impressed by what they saw from the Germans.

Even though the T-34 was eventually outclassed by the Panther the Germans never could approach the production numbers attained by the T-34. It was always a great breakthrough tank.

better read more carefull an information via mooxe's link.
sorry to say but what you have posted here is mostly all wrong Smile

Schmal_Turm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:34 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

I read quite a bit of the article and I still don't see what I posted that is so wrong. Unless the CC games are incorrect the German 37 and 50mm guns are not terribly effective against the T-34. The Tiger was up-armored to meet the 76mm gun. What is so wrong? So maybe they weren't the breakthrough tanks I mentioned but they were still in numbers that were hard to counter. Was Guerderian a liar as to what he reported as to what the Russian officials said to him? The German's didn't design the Panther to defeat the T-34?

Dima

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:30 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Quote:
he T-34 was best as a shock to knock the Germans out of the drunken complacency that they were entertaining that the Russians were going to be an easy victory.

no, the Germans didn't pay much attention to those approx 2.000+ T-34 abandoned and KO since June 22nd to October...and only started to cry in October at Mtsensk where exhausted units of Guderian were stopped for several days by 4th TBr using T-34 in ambush tactics.  
and somehow when they offered Guderian to use abandoned T-34 he refused and decided to wait for German tanks...

Quote:
Once the numbers of them on the battlefield were considerable they made almost all of the tank and AT German Weaponry at the time, except for the 88, obsolete.

T-34 became the main tank of the RA since mid 1943 and by then the Germans had tons of AT weapons to deal with it.

Quote:
Their introduction helped to hasten the Tiger I and the up gunning of all the German tanks that were still able to be. Until the advent of the T-34 and the KV the plans were to have the Tiger at 50mm armor with a short 75. Obviously, that changed considerably. The Tiger I was eventually designed to withstand the 76mm hits from the frontal arc.

decision to have 100mm armor tank was taken after the shock of meeting Matilda-2 in France and VK3601(h) with 100mm frontal armour was showed in May 1941...

Quote:

memory fades you. Re-read the book Wink.

Quote:

PzIVG with KwK40 was a T-34 killer while invulnerable to T-34 at more than 300m.

jakebullet70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:39 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Only around 8,550 PzIV made to a whole lot of T34's

Dima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:10 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

jakebullet70 wrote (View Post):

the Germans could produce many more PzIV or Panthers or Tigers, the problem was not in production capacities but in production idea i.e. the amount of produced AVFs was equal to amount of trained crews available and not more.
when they started to train crews faster they started to produce more AVFs but that was already too late.

Schmal_Turm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:52 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Well Dima, I reread the part of the book in question and if we are in fact referring to the same book by Guderian I quote the pertinent paragraph. The context I was referring to was wrong, as it was not part of the wargames in Russia, but the subject matter was still correct:

In the spring of 1941 Hitler had specifically ordered that a Russian military commission be shown over our tank schools and factories; in this order he had insisted that nothing be concealed from them. The Russian officers in question firmly refused to believe that the Panzer IV was in fact our heaviest tank. They said repeatedly that we must be hiding our newest models from them, and complained that we were not carrying out Hitler’s order to show them everything. The military commission was so insistent on this point that eventually our manufacturers and Ordnance Office officials concluded: ‘It seems that the Russians must already possess better and heavier tanks than we do.’ It was at the end of July 1941, that the T34 tank appeared at the front and the riddle of the new Russian model was solved. (Panzer Leader, pg 119)

So tell me now, what was so wrong with this part of what I said?

jakebullet70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:58 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):

the Germans could produce many more PzIV or Panthers or Tigers, the problem was not in production capacities but in production idea i.e. the amount of produced AVFs was equal to amount of trained crews available and not more.
when they started to train crews faster they started to produce more AVFs but that was already too late.

Bull crap. Please show me where you read that information.  LOL

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
Well Dima, I reread the part of the book in question and if we are in fact referring to the same book by Guderian I quote the pertinent paragraph. The context I was referring to was wrong, as it was not part of the wargames in Russia, but the subject matter was still correct:

In the spring of 1941 Hitler had specifically ordered that a Russian military commission be shown over our tank schools and factories; in this order he had insisted that nothing be concealed from them. The Russian officers in question firmly refused to believe that the Panzer IV was in fact our heaviest tank. They said repeatedly that we must be hiding our newest models from them, and complained that we were not carrying out Hitler’s order to show them everything. The military commission was so insistent on this point that eventually our manufacturers and Ordnance Office officials concluded: ‘It seems that the Russians must already possess better and heavier tanks than we do.’ It was at the end of July 1941, that the T34 tank appeared at the front and the riddle of the new Russian model was solved. (Panzer Leader, pg 119)

that's because the Soviet intellegence was continuosly reporting heavy tanks with 100mm armour beeing developed in Germany.
and btw Guderian units met first T-34 during first days of invasion.

Quote:
So tell me now, what was so wrong with this part of what I said?

yes it was a context and that's why I told to re-read and nothing about wrong in that quote Wink.

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):

Ahh good case of agressive irrogance! Smile
If my statement is wrong you can easily prove it is wrong...please Wink.

jakebullet70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:31 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

I asked you to show me this information... I asked you... Why did you turn it around and ask me? LOL Your funny...
You made the statement about production so prove it. Wink Educate me. Wink Please.

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:07 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

I asked you to show me this information... I asked you... Why did you turn it around and ask me? LOL Your funny...
You made the statement about production so prove it. Wink Educate me. Wink Please.

I made a statement, you said it is a bull crap - so prove it was wrong - that's a simple logic Wink.
I will make more statements:

1) The Germans had much better production capabilities than the USSR.
2) The Germans could easily produce 20.000 armored vehicles a year on same facilities.
3) By the end of the war the Germans produced only about 25% less armored vehicles than the USSR.

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 am Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):

Dima, wasnt it also the fuel capacity and battefield logistics that was a bottleneck for germans limiting the number of AFW and motorization?

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Hi Stalk,

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

Dima, wasnt it also the fuel capacity and battefield logistics that was a bottleneck for germans limiting the number of AFW and motorization?

that's a common knowlegde, yes, but if you check each year you wouldn't see an increase of fuel/materials availability but still there was a drastical increase of armoured vehicles produced since 1943.
And in the same time in 1943 they expanded Panzerwaffe, rebuilt lost Pz(G)Ds, reduced training time for crews and got a way less quality but mass armored units. That's when SS-PzD started to be elite as they still kept an old training process along with some Heer elite units like GD.

jakebullet70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Quote:

1) The Germans had much better production capabilities than the USSR.
2) The Germans could easily produce 20.000 armored vehicles a year on same facilities.
3) By the end of the war the Germans produced only about 25% less armored vehicles than the USSR.

Yes, I see statements with 0 facts... LOL  Where did you get this information? Site sources please.

1) Much better? That's why they produces 50% less AFV... Better in what way?
2) 20,000 more per year.  I mean with your numbers Germany would of out produces America? really? Site sources!!!!!
3) Wikipedia:
Total German AFV output from 1939:    48,777
Total Russian AFV  output from 1940:  106,025

I see around 50%... Not 25%

LOL, you are funny! Again, site sources... Forgive me if I believe Wikipedia before I believe you...
Germany would of out produces America? really? ROFLMAO Oh this one is killing me..  

But again, If I am wrong then please show me by siting sources. I am always willing to learn.

jakebullet70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

FYI
America's output of AFV according to Wikipedia was around 122,000

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 pm Post subject: Re: T-34 not the best tank? Reply with quote

Yes, I see statements with 0 facts... LOL  Where did you get this information? Site sources please.

I gave you facts, it's your problems that you can't disprove my statements or find proves of my statements.

Quote:
1) Much better? That's why they produces 50% less AFV... Better in what way?
2) 20,000 more per year.  I mean with your numbers Germany would of out produces America? really? Site sources!!!!!
3) Wikipedia:
Total German AFV output from 1939:    48,777
Total Russian AFV  output from 1940:  106,025
I see around 50%... Not 25%

AVF is not equal to armored vehicle, the Soviets couldn't spend armor plates on armored cars as most of them went to a tank production. So why do you count AVFs only? For example SdKfz 232 had 30mm frontal armor and T-70 had 35mm frontal armor....
And even if you count AVFs only, try to count a gross tonnage of AVFs produced that can help you (although I doubt) to understand approximate use of materials and manpower.

Quote:
LOL, you are funny! Again, site sources... Forgive me if I believe Wikipedia before I believe you...
Germany would of out produces America? really? ROFLMAO Oh this one is killing me..  

Why would Germany outproduce the USA? Check how many armored vehicles did USA produce.

Quote:
But again, If I am wrong then please show me by siting sources. I am always willing to learn.

most of the sources regarding this question are available online, just make an effort to find them.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: