Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
Rodmorg

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm Post subject: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Just want to know. Some WW2 films are great, such as Kelly's Heroes and Force 10: From Navarone. Well, those are my favorite WW2 films. I think the best had to be Dirty Dozen.

Winner of the Close Combat fanatics 'Panthers League'

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

wikipedia has them listed by date and place of conflict. Even other countries made ww2 movies to my surprise. I would have to say personally the older ones 1950's to the 1980's.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:38 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Bridge Too Far...especially the cast of actors.  It showed a different perspective the west was not accustomed to seeing in how difficult it was to fight the Germans.  Even in late 1944.

Off-topic...but for WWI, the Military Channel aka American Heroes Channel is showing documentary series called Apocalypse WWI.  Amazing footage and history.

sod98

Rep: 11.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:19 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

If you don't mind subtitles, a German movie Downfall. Hitlers last weeks in the bunker based on 3 witness testimonies. One being Hitlers Secretary. Check it out, it's a very easy movie to watch even with subs. It also won lots of awards not that means too much.

The Pianist - based on a Polish Jew and his fight for survival.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:40 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

sod98 wrote (View Post):
If you don't mind subtitles, a German movie Downfall. Hitlers last weeks in the bunker based on 3 witness testimonies. One being Hitlers Secretary. Check it out, it's a very easy movie to watch even with subs. It also won lots of awards not that means too much.

The Pianist - based on a Polish Jew and his fight for survival.

I think (or thought) the movie downfall was supposed to be a direct book to video of Frau Junge's memoir's. If so, it's not really close, tho not a bad movie for a end of times as last gasp of the Reich movies go. Her book was pretty interesting and noticed the movie followed the story in some areas, yet veered away in many others.

As for end of Reich movies, always liked the oldest that had Rutger Hauer and centered around Speer's 1st book: Inside The 3rd Reich.

Will agree with DJ on favorite Military movie.. ABTF is a combination of big budget and military film that was perfection. Rare. It was as great on the big screen when it 1st came out and went to see as it is now and still as enjoyable.

Cross of Iron has to be mentioned also.

Rodmorg

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:14 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Ah yes, vobbnobb, I read that. sod, I've heard of it and I may get it on DVD. But, I prefer WW2 films with some action and some not.That's why I like films such as Kelly's Heroes, Force 10: From Navarone and Escape to Athina. With humor, I would say that The Dirty Dozen has some, as well as action. I found the film a little bit 'ah, he's going to die now' at the end. And yes, I've heard pf Cross of Iron (the game and film Wink) What I want to know now is what's your FAVORITE film?

Winner of the Close Combat fanatics 'Panthers League'

dj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

I remember as a young kid seeing the beginning of Bridge Too Far when it was first released in theaters.  Then at the scene where a lot of dead American paratroopers were shown (prior to the soldier putting gun to Doctor's head to save his comrade) my parents removed me from theater as they thought it was too graphic for a little kid to see.

HogansHeros

Rep: 28.5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:49 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

I really like The Train (1964) although someone may argue that it is not a "war film" per se but a film using the war as a backdrop like Casablanca does (although I'd argue that the war is more integral to The Train than it is to Casablanca).

Sahara (1943) would have to be high on my list even through it is a bit too full of rah-rah propaganda--understandably so given when it was made.

The Gallant Hours (1960) is a nice change of pace film, almost more of a documentary than a war film.

I forgot The Cockleshell Heroes (1955): not only is Operation Frankton entertaining on its own, but I like how the by-the-book character "wins" for once instead of the usual story where the maverick shows up his stuffy superiors and carries the day by breaking all the rules.

sod98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:24 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

I think (or thought) the movie downfall was supposed to be a direct book to video of Frau Junge's memoir's. If so, it's not really close, tho not a bad movie for a end of times as last gasp of the Reich movies go. Her book was pretty interesting and noticed the movie followed the story in some areas, yet veered away in many others.

As for end of Reich movies, always liked the oldest that had Rutger Hauer and centered around Speer's 1st book: Inside The 3rd Reich.

The reason why the movie was so different, it also included the stories of the Peter - one of the last to be awarded the Iron Cross and one of Hitlers staff Officers from memory. You are right - not much in the way of an action movie though.

These are worth a look for action:
- The Big Red One
- Midway
- The Thin Red Line
- The Battle of Neretva

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:50 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Mine are, Downfall.
A bridge to far. ( i think the ending could of represented the situation better.)
Escape from Sobidor.
And longest day.

Abtf and tld were all filmed on location.

Darryl Zanuck is a interesting character. The background story to the longest day is interesting. And its amazing that he manged to make the film.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

johnsilver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:03 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Little bit of what I remember about the movie (great btw also) The Battle of Neretva that Sod98 mentioned.

Going from memory of course.. Think at the time that was the biggest budgeted Czech movie they had ever had. Well done also. Yul Bryenner headlines the non stars in this one, think he plays Tito. Lots of action and kind of plays out as an WW2 type Spaghetti western. Not an insult, cause was not lacking for multiple plots.

There is another nice Czech WW2 film that has Richard Burton headlining the list of other non stars: The Battle of Sutjeska. It's not as good however.

With you Anthony_NZ on escape from Sobibor, tho it's is/is not a war movie being a POW type movie. Rutger Hauer can put on some commanding performances in some of his movies, that was another one there.

sod98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:16 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

That list vobbnobb was talking about. Here's a link, contains most war movies. Copy and paste guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_films_and_TV_specials

vobbnobb

Rep: 73

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:52 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

sod98 wrote (View Post):
That list vobbnobb was talking about. Here's a link, contains most war movies. Copy and paste guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_films_and_TV_specials  

It's here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_films

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

sod98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:58 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

It's here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_films[/quote]

Yes that's a bigger and better list of WW2 movies - cheers.

Trying to find a copy of Road to Baghdad. Is it still being sold - even preowned ?

Ramcke

Rep: 10.4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:41 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Eagle has Landed, all star cast

Antony_nz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:14 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

johnsilver wrote (View Post):

With you Anthony_NZ on escape from Sobibor, tho it's is/is not a war movie being a POW type movie. Rutger Hauer can put on some commanding performances in some of his movies, that was another one there.

Looks nothing like the real person. But he was the man in this film.
You can argue that it is a war movie. The Jews in the death camp do end up taking up arms against Nazis.  

I saw parts of Tora Tora Tora. Looks pretty good. Apparently it follows events before and during and after the attack. As detailed as a documentary.  
I have never herd of Battle of Neretva. But i will check it out.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

As some others mentioned, A Bridge too far.
Also, Come and See, Stalingrad (the german one), Talvisota, When trumpets fade, Brest Fortress, The thin red line.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Antony_nz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

They need to finish the Thin Red line.
I think the director died during production.  ( ok a google search shows he didnt) :)

The Thin Red Line needs to be re-released with all the deleted scenes added.  Basically the film was raped during post production.

dj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:31 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Wondering about Fury...probably won't make it to the upper echelon of best WWII films.  However very impressed they were the first to ever use a real Tiger tank.  If they had Tiger II that would really be saying something.

johnsilver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:13 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
Wondering about Fury...probably won't make it to the upper echelon of best WWII films.  However very impressed they were the first to ever use a real Tiger tank.  If they had Tiger II that would really be saying something.

I was going to say impossible in the US DJ, but the model that was formerly at the Patton museum, now awaiting it's new home at the Fort benning musem is now whole once again..

For those who viewed it at the Patton establishment.. It was sliced in half.. left side on display and now, it's here on a tank transporter (scroll down) at Fort Benning, whole and complete once again.. They sent the Tiger 1 from Aberdeen to the UK and got it running in the UK, it's headed back to Fort Benning and it was in poor shape. A sliced in half KT, just as rare been any harder?

King Tigers Left

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: