Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1244
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
RD_Cobalth-77

Rep: 15.3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 pm Post subject: Anything good? Reply with quote

Hello all,

It has been a while (almost 10 years I believe?), but past weekend I played CC5 again!
I saw on the site that there are more than a few new releases.
Is there anything good enough to spend more than 30€ on?
Or is it just better graphics?

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

Wow, hey Cobalth, welcome back! Weren't you at Pzt? When did you join the RD clan? : )  Or are you another Cobalth? :P

Great to see old faces!  Well, as for your question, there is CC Gateway to Caen (GtC), which is the latest release so far.  I will try to summarize below the positive and negative things about it:

Positive:

- Nice explosion animations.
- More realistic scale of soldiers and vehicles.
- Towable Guns, infantry can mount and dismount on/from vehicles
- Individual soldier history is preserved due to fixed platoon system  (it has its drawbacks, see below)
- Mortars need time to zero-in to their targets, the last 3 zeroed in coordinates are remembered and those coordinates can be targeted without any cooldown.

Negative:

- Plays differently than CC5. The ATGs and tanks seem to miss their shots much more often. (Which is found unrealistic by many)
- Infantry survivability against HE is much lower compared to CC5.

However, the above two are data related things and can be adjusted in mods. The more serious issues are as follows:

- Different UI layout. Not very practical I think.
- The so called "girly soldiers" behaviour, which results in soldiers becoming much less responsive under fire. It is much harder in GtC to charge or retreat (i.e.) when under fire.
- Limited troop selection due to fixed platoon system.
- No TCP/IP connection menu. You need to connect to your opponent via the ingame lobby.
- Ingame lobby usually sucks and it is a pain in the ass to connect successfully to your opponent.
- Multiplayer crashes and freezes happen due to various stuff. This is unnaceptable.

Verdict:
Overall, GtC is not bad, but also not good. It has quite a high price tag though, it is not worth more than 20 bucks in my opinion.
Other than that, It plays differently than CC5, and can frustrate experienced players a lot, who are used to CC5 mods like GJS and Utah.

Last edited by Pzt_Crackwise on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

I suggest you first check out all the wonderful mods made for CC5 the past 10 years and return next year to buy one of the "new" releases with a 5 USD discount.  Smile

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:49 pm Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

Among the re-releases, I think the best one is CC The Longest Day (TLD). It plays much more closely like CC5 and has some nice positive aspects:

- Windowed mod. You now can alt tab and browse your facebook etc. while your opponent spends an eternity trying to deploy on the map.
- Infantry survivability seems to be higher than CC5, which I find a nice thing. Makes the firefights longer and charging/retreating easier.
- Better vehicle pathfinding.

The only negative thing is that the "girly soldiers" thing is also present in TLD, however it is much less pronounced than GtC I think. Your troops can cancel your movement orders when they come under fire and start crawling, which is quite annoying. Therefore, you need to pay close attention to your troops when ordering them around.

"Girly soldiers" thing is only useful I think in the sense that it is now much more harder to pull off human-wave tactics. Which was in CC5 a typical formula and was rather unrealistic, especially when charging through the buildings: Suppress the enemy and then charge in and bayonet them to death! This happens somewhat less often in TLD.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:43 am Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
"Girly soldiers" thing is only useful I think in the sense that it is now much more harder to pull off human-wave tactics. Which was in CC5 a typical formula and was rather unrealistic, especially when charging through the buildings: Suppress the enemy and then charge in and bayonet them to death! This happens somewhat less often in TLD.

Girly soldiers help to create some parity between human players and the AI. It is probably one of the better modifications to hit the series.

I got the sense that this modification was more or less sponsored by Steve McClaire (a trusted source).

In the end, it makes arcade tactics not possible. Like when you take all your forces, put them in a giant knot, and then run willy nilly all over the map. Through structures, through vehicles, no regard for fatigue, or enemy fire. There are several videos on the site you can check out to see this in action.

Most players do not like this modification. But that is understandable, since the vast majority of players prefer an arcade game, especially when they play against the AI. Players want to shoot off their weapons, and crush the AI, no matter how much the AI is criticized.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:49 am Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

TLD and WAR have the most mods of the re-releases so far as they are mod compatible when both fully patched. Thus you can get whichever of the 2 appeals most to you.

LSA has the most features and still allows for direct ip connections for H2H but changes were made that have made converting CC5 mods to it harder than TLD/WAR.

PiTF and GtC require going through the slitherine lobby/servers for H2H play. They add the major items mentioned above but lose the ability to select units from a 2 BG or to attack from 2 VL's when you have 2 BG's like LSA.

Last edited by Tejszd on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total

RD_Cobalth-77

Rep: 15.3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 am Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick respons guys  Very Happy .
So, I'll probably check out the new releases and their mods first.

Yes, I was Pzt at first. Had some troubles there. Last clan I joined was RD, and I still am it seems?

But I also noticed that there are no clans left?

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:32 pm Post subject: Re: Anything good? Reply with quote

Nice to see, people has still passion after a ten year break to play the game again... Yes you should definitely check the mods... Definitely check all the Stalingrad mods...Wink Both from Manoi and PzJager...

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: