Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
ikrananka

Rep: 29.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:10 pm Post subject: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

I'm pleased to announce that I have just published the first video in a series covering the incredible computer wargaming legacy left by Atomic Games. This first video covers the creation of Atomic Games in 1989 and the development and release of their first game in the V for Victory series, D-Day : Utah Beach.

I spent a lot of time researching this video and believe there may well be some things in this video that you didn't know before.

I hope that you enjoy this video and that you find it informative. I'm always trying to improve and so please let me know what you think either in the video comments section or by replying to this post.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6Vf_7UOKbhg[/youtube]

ikrananka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/6Vf_7UOKbhg

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:33 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

Thanks ikrananka, I will check them out. I was still playing V4V Velikiye Luki as of 2009. I still have the game and want to continue my campaign.

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 191.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

I am watching your video now. I must say : Very good work. - Makes me want to play these old games.

ikrananka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

Thanks for watching guys.  These are superb games that to my mind stand up almost as well today as when they were first released.

I must say that I'm quite excited to be starting the Let's Play of Utah Beach very soon.

YouTube Channel

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

I liked the mentioning of Harpoon  by the year of release Very Happy I still  enjoy playing it. IMO,  80s and 90s were golden years of gaming. Since the abilities of computers were limited, developers went with game logic all the way as they could to bring attention. Then it started to go around all graphics...

I also stockpiled Battleground Series for "in case of need", ISOs of which are available at archive.org.

Citrus

Rep: 3.9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:57 am Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

ke_mechial wrote (View Post):
I liked the mentioning of Harpoon  by the year of release Very Happy I still  enjoy playing it. IMO,  80s and 90s were golden years of gaming. Since the abilities of computers were limited, developers went with game logic all the way as they could to bring attention. Then it started to go around all graphics...

I also stockpiled Battleground Series for "in case of need", ISOs of which are available at archive.org.

Agreed.  Graphics are nice, but games have lost much depth.

V for Victory Velikiye Luki was one of the first war games I ever had.  Reading this thread just made me download it from abandonware.

In my opinion, John Tiller's Battleground Series is still the best Civil War series in terms of unit detail, pace, command structure and game play.  I've tried numerous other civil war games over the years, but nothing else captures the historical army and their clashes like Battleground.  RTS like Ultimate General: Gettysburg are too quick and units all seem the same.

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:54 am Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

Thanks for posting ikrananka.  I bought most of these classics, Operation Crusader was a great one.  Too bad you can not get these to work on new OS's without having to use emulators.  I hope Slitherine / Matrix develops a new re-write like they did for Panzer General series and other classic games.  Atomic was sold they really did a great job best in the business at the time.

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:18 am Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

You can see the resemblance to CC in those menus. The layout, Campaigns and especially the scenario briefings! They might as well have been cut / pasted into CC!

ikrananka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
Too bad you can not get these to work on new OS's without having to use emulators.

While DosBox can be awkward to setup in its raw form, I use the D-Fend Reloaded frontend and this makes setup of the games a breeze.  After only a couple of minor tweaks away from default DosBox settings all of the games run perfectly.

YouTube Channel

GameRat

Rep: 44.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

wow, really great video ... thanks!

Citrus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:23 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

ikrananka wrote (View Post):
dj wrote (View Post):
Too bad you can not get these to work on new OS's without having to use emulators.

While DosBox can be awkward to setup in its raw form, I use the D-Fend Reloaded frontend and this makes setup of the games a breeze.  After only a couple of minor tweaks away from default DosBox settings all of the games run perfectly.

I've been trying to get this running on VirtualBox, but I need a copy of Windows 95 to make it work.  I'm having trouble finding a free downlaod Win 95.

GameRat

Rep: 44.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

video comments:
Very professional look and sound. Well written and interesting. You have an excellent and natural commentator voice.
Advice: keep on doing what you are doing ... you are good at it!

ikrananka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

Citrus wrote (View Post):
dj wrote (View Post):

I've been trying to get this running on VirtualBox, but I need a copy of Windows 95 to make it work.  I'm having trouble finding a free downlaod Win 95.

To play V4V and WaW you just need DosBox, although I'm guessing that you're wanting to use VirtualBox for far more than just playing these games.  I have no experience with VirtualBox but from their website I don't even see Win 95 as being supported and Win 98 runs slow.  I still have my old Win 98 floppy disks.

YouTube Channel

ikrananka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

GameRat wrote (View Post):
video comments:
Very professional look and sound. Well written and interesting. You have an excellent and natural commentator voice.
Advice: keep on doing what you are doing ... you are good at it!

Thank you - I really appreciate the feedback.  I must admit that I have a lot of self doubt making these videos, I'm kind of an introvert and so it's not natural for me to do this.  That said, I do enjoy making them and want to push myself to do something interesting and productive now that I'm retired.  So, thanks for the advice - I will keep on doing what I'm doing Smile

YouTube Channel

Citrus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):

To play V4V and WaW you just need DosBox, although I'm guessing that you're wanting to use VirtualBox for far more than just playing these games.  I have no experience with VirtualBox but from their website I don't even see Win 95 as being supported and Win 98 runs slow.  I still have my old Win 98 floppy disks.

I'm not using VirtualBox for anything else, at least at the moment.  But after installing it and creating a virtual PC loaded with MS-DOS the possibilities are interesting.

I have now downloaded DosBox, as you suggested.  Far easier.  Cool  

It's a shame V4V doesn't have PBEM.

Citrus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:21 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

Also, how do I get larger screen resolution?  I went into the config file and changed fullresolution to different sizes but it keeps displaying at original size.  I also played around with fullscreen and windowresolution, but they all keep coming up the same.  Am I missing something?

ikrananka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

Also, how do I get larger screen resolution?  I went into the config file and changed fullresolution to different sizes but it keeps displaying at original size.  I also played around with fullscreen and windowresolution, but they all keep coming up the same.  Am I missing something?

Here's my DosBox config for your info.  I set the screen resolution to 0x0 which sets DosBox to the native resolution of the monitor.  This config starts off in fullscreen and always scales to fill my screen height as you will have seen in my video.  This may also be affected by the scaling set in your video drivier.  Mine is an NVidia card with the driver scaling mode set to "Aspect ratio" and for scaling to be performed on the "Display".

Also, in the CPU section of the config, I set "cycles=fixed 15000" as this works best on my PC.  I found that having cycles set to Auto led to V4V running far too slow.  Set it to fixed and adjust the value until you get the game playing at a decent speed.  Don't make the speed too high as scrolling the map in small increments becomes impossible as you end up always just jumping straight to the edge of the map instead of moving bit by bit.

Code:
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=0x0
windowresolution=1280x960
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
usescancodes=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=D:\Users\[Username]\Documents\D-Fend Reloaded\mapper.map

[dosbox]
machine=svga_s3
captures=D:\Users\[Username]\Documents\D-Fend Reloaded\Capture\V4V\
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=fixed 15000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100
oplemu=default

[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=US

[joystick]
joysticktype=none
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
serial1=modem listenport:0
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[autoexec]
@echo off
SET PATH=Z:\
keyb US 437
mount C "D:\Users\[Username]\DOCUME~1\D-FEND~1\VIRTUA~1\"
echo.
C:
cd\
cd \V4V
Z:\config.com -securemode > nul
V4V.EXE
exit

YouTube Channel

Citrus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

That works!  Thank you.   Cool

ikrananka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory Reply with quote

That works!  Thank you.   Cool

Fantastic - have fun  Very Happy

YouTube Channel

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: