Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
CarpeNoctem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:16 pm Post subject: Downloadable CC2 - what about source? Reply with quote

I saw a reference in one of the forums about someone making CC2 a downloadable link here on CCS.

I am assuming that it means CC2 is now being looked on by the publishers as a non-money generating resource, and thus being distributed as freeware.

I am wondering, does this mean the source code is available somehow too?

Man I would love to see the source. Having that available will really kick start the RTT genre.

-CN

It puts the lotion on it's skin; or it gets the hose again!

Beeblebrox

Rep: 0.4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am assuming that it means CC2 is now being looked on by the publishers as a non-money generating resource, and thus being distributed as freeware
Showing how careful you have to be of assumptions. The owners of Close Combat (All Versions), that is Destineer, has given no such mandate. No-one has permission to offer Close Combat for free Download. Anyone who does is in direct infringement of copyright, which does mean this site.

Quote:
I am wondering, does this mean the source code is available somehow too?
You would need a License from Destineer (if you could persuade them to) to get any Close Combat Source Code.

Your hosts justify making this available for Download in this way (taken from the Download entry):

"Disclaimer

This is the full version Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far.

It is offered here on http://www.closecombatseries.net/ solely for the greater good of the Close Combat community, only good intentions are being carried out in hosting this game. It is not being made available for any ulterior motives.

The motivation behind hosting this game is as follows;

1. The owner of this software no longer actively supports the game or its gaming community;
2. this software is over 9 years old;
3. it is not available in the intended brand new retail form as it came from its distributer; and
4. many potential gamers are being turned away due to lack of availability.

If you as an individual of the community or representitive of the copywrite holder have a problem or concern with this game being hosted I encourage you to email me at mooxe [at] closecombatseries [dot] net with your comments and it will be answered to promptly.

This software will be removed from this site under the following conditions;

1. The current copywrite holder issues an order to do so; and/or
2. a considerable amount of valid, substantiated reasons regarding any damage to the community being caused by this software being hosted here are heard from the Close Combat community.

I know some people will want to report this to anti-piracy companies for the purpose of shutting down this server. Remember before you act on your impulses or own personal motivations realize that this has been done with all good intentions."

One of the first phrases is most telling:

"It is offered here on http://www.closecombatseries.net/ solely for the greater good of the Close Combat community"

Brings up a whole can of worms...

Now the first question obviously is: is this good enough to allow for the abandoning of the principle of ownerships and rights, and the legal processes put in place to estabish and protect these rights?

The Site Hosts must believe that. Has any attempt been made to get Destineer's permission? and if so, what was the result?

I don't own it, so I have no personal agenda on this case, but I would urge you (all) to think about this carefully. I myself would certainly not be comfortable with doing it.

Having seen little discussion about this, I guess there is not so much interest in it, or are just happy to remain silent and accept it?

Where do you stand...?

BB

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: