Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1225
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Tacloban

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:59 pm Post subject: Take Command Reply with quote

If you want to see what CC singleplayer could have been like with a better AI, take a look at the new Take Command 2nd Manassas game. I am not an employee, or a friend of an employee, of this company, just a customer.

The enemy deploys reasonably well, uses terrain features, makes coordinated attacks, and retreats when warrented. Moreover, the friendly AI allows pretty decent command and control of subordinate commands. I would pay a new game price to get a WW2-period, CC-like game with TC2M's Singleplayer AI.

I've played CC for years, since the 1st game, even played in singleplayer despite the excruciatingly stupid enemy. I like the ability to play whenever I want and for how long I want to. I will probably keep playing CC, but with a good AI and a great tactical scale wargame, TC2M is a close second, if only it were WW2-era.

Tacloban

hiddentiger45

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

wow,think of it,Close Combat:Civil War,how bout it all you great MOD Gods?I love Civil War history and im sure i wouldnt be the only one to play a Civil War mod of CC5.

Pzt_Wruff

Rep: 17.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I've talked about it before. ACW would be a killer CC mod.

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us over at close combat junkies had kicked around the idea of a Civil War CC for a couple of months, but everyone was busy with other mods and it never got off the ground.

Pzt_Kami

Rep: 44.2

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tacloban;
Can you address the official site of this game?

Thanks

Women are like flowers, I appreciate their beauty and fragrance without picking them off the branch, then I continue on to the next flower

Tacloban

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The desginers:
http://www.madminutegames.com

The publishers:
http://www.paradoxplaza.com

I'm not convinced American Civil War (ACW, The War of the Rebellion) combat would work well in the CC engine. Would you model the units (squads,sections) as regiments? Remember that there was very little of squad-level action in most ACW combat. You could do small engagements perhaps, or small portions of abstracted larger battles. Most importantly, in SP you're still stuck with that pathetic AI, which would matter to me and about four other people, as far as I can tell. At least the relative distances would be more realistic for 1860's cannon fire than for 1940's cannon fire.

Likewise, I don't know that TC2M would work well in a WW2 mod. Infantry is modeled exclusively as regiments, cavalry as battalions (using sprites, like CC). Cannons and commanders (brigade-level and up) are modeled individually.

Then again, I'm not much of a modder so what do I know?

Tacloban

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:44 am Post subject: civil war mod. who remembers... Reply with quote

the crazy cc3 mod of the civil war?

some crazy stuff, what was it called? cant remember, was mad, dukes of hazard sounds etc...

espree de corp

hiddentiger45

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tacloban wrote:
The desginers:

The publishers:

I'm not convinced American Civil War (ACW, The War of the Rebellion) combat would work well in the CC engine. Would you model the units (squads,sections) as regiments? Remember that there was very little of squad-level action in most ACW combat.

I dont think the makers of the "Star Wars" mod were concerened of this minor problem.D-Day was on a much grander scale also,but it seemed to work well on a smaller scale wouldnt you agree?

hiddentiger45

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Tacloban"]The desginers:

The publishers:

I'm not convinced American Civil War (ACW, The War of the Rebellion) combat would work well in the CC engine. Would you model the units (squads,sections) as regiments? Remember that there was very little of squad-level action in most ACW combat.

I dont think the makers of the "Star Wars" mod were concerened of this minor problem.D-Day was on a much grander scale also,but it seemed to work well on a smaller scale wouldnt you agree?

Tacloban

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

D-day was indeed played out on a huge scale. At the same time it was a battle of many small battles, which was true for much of WW2 and thereafter. In contrast, the ACW infantry soldier did not typically fight in small groups. His effectiveness was largely dependent on contributing to concentrated, coordinated firepower, usually in a massed unit like a regiment.

Nevertheless, I can conceive a division-level ACW-style engagement that could work in a CC mod. For example, in CC5 you have 15 units to work with. If we mod each unit to be a civil war unit like a regiment, a battery, or a cavalry battalion, then we may expect to deploy, say, 12 regiments, 2 batteries, and a cavalry troop, or some variation. Each unit would move graphically as one; I'm just thinking out loud. That's small division strength, and there obviously are a great number of battles that could be done. Anything from Jackson's valley campaign, Cedar Mountain, Cemetery Hill, to the Wilderness or Sayler's Creek. I suppose commanders could be incorporated into the unit, and artillery call all be modded as indirect.

I hope that I am proved wrong because I would love to see the innovation in CC. I really would love to check out a ACW mod. My original point was that, though many years later, a competant SP AI is possible and how wonderful the CC SP would be with it.

Please excuse my bad spelling,
Tacloban

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzt_Mac wrote:
A few of us over at close combat junkies had kicked around the idea of a Civil War CC for a couple of months

Did you ever do the "Weapons" file?

dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: Take Command Reply with quote

Tacloban wrote:
If you want to see what CC singleplayer could have been like with a better AI, take a look at the new Take Command 2nd Manassas game. I am not an employee, or a friend of an employee, of this company, just a customer.

The enemy deploys reasonably well, uses terrain features, makes coordinated attacks, and retreats when warrented. Moreover, the friendly AI allows pretty decent command and control of subordinate commands. I would pay a new game price to get a WW2-period, CC-like game with TC2M's Singleplayer AI.

I've played CC for years, since the 1st game, even played in singleplayer despite the excruciatingly stupid enemy. I like the ability to play whenever I want and for how long I want to. I will probably keep playing CC, but with a good AI and a great tactical scale wargame, TC2M is a close second, if only it were WW2-era.

Tacloban

Hey buddy, just noticed this thread. Good to see you here.
TC2M is indeed a very nice game.

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: