Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1246
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Mr_Nuke

Rep: 5.7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:41 pm Post subject: Newbie question about infantry tactics. Reply with quote

Well, in films about WWI and WWII, you often see soldiers grouped to fight, especially in trenches. So the distance between two men must be one meter or so.

contrary to this, in a TV program about a mission of the french army in Afrika, where the french soldiers tried to train voluntary ex-militia men into real soldiers to form the new army of the country now at peace, a french instructor told the Afrikan men to place at least each one a few meters far from each other (something like 10 meters or so), to avoid being killed all at once with the blast of a grenade or another exploding weapon.

I guess the tactics evolve as time pass, but wasn't this true back then? Or is it useful only in certain situations (the Afrikan guys were training in open terrain, with mostly cover from high grass or little fences)?

Thanks in advance for any serious answe!

Gott ist tot!

king_tiger_tank

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

nope nope nope, the tactics of maintaining intervals were back in WW2 (as far as I know). It was used for infantry under mortar fire so like you said, not to lose more than one man from one mortar shell. It worked really well as I know.

What would H Jones do?

Last edited by king_tiger_tank on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of places to get good infantry tactics, but Television and Movies aren't one of them.

Start your training here:
http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/ccm/ccmtoc.htm

Follow up with some real world experience here:
http://www.clausewitz.com/CWZHOME/PrincWar/Princwr1.htm

Apply it to Close Combat here:
http://www.geocities.com/panzertruppen1/Cob1GJSstrat.html

Then test your new found skillz here:
www.gamespy.com

Mr_Nuke

Rep: 5.7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzt_Mac wrote:
There are a lot of places to get good infantry tactics, but Television and Movies aren't one of them.

That's why I was dubious, even if the advices of the french instructor may have not spawned from the mouth of an inexperienced man.

Many thanks for your links though! The first one makes me want to try CCM one of these day!

Gott ist tot!

Pzt_Verboten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Infantry tactics is failry largish area of study, and your best bet is to start reading a few decent books on the subject.

Suffice to say that tactics rely on a few key features:
Terrain
Doctrine
Technology

You can't use the same tactics in close country (like the Jungle) that you would use in ope terrain. 10 meters or so in the Jungle is a long way, while standing shoulder to shoulder in open terrain is a great way to lose a whole section fast.

Also two nations with the same level of technology will not follow the same doctrine, nor for that matter will services under one nation. The Brits and Yanks do things differently to each other, and the US Marines do things differently to the US Army.

Here's some quick numbers to think about too (all numbers are rough and ready).

Wellington's Army at Waterloo fielded 20000 men per mile

The US civil war saw this decline to 12000 men per mile, with confederate armies repelling attacks with as few as 5000 men per mile.

The Boers held a line of some 7 miles with around 4500 men (around 650 men per mile)

The Great War saw the number push back up as the main sectors were defended by the Germans with between 3000 - 4500 men per mile including local reserves, excluding logistics personnel and strategic reserves.

The great war also featured the battalion as the basic unit, however by the end of the war the basic unit became the company as more sophisticated tactics were employed.

In Africa in 1940 the numbers again plummeted with Tobruk's 30 mile perimeter being held by approxamately 800 men per mile.

Badger-Bag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:33 am Post subject: Thats interesting indeed Reply with quote

The numbers of men per mile at Waterloo might have had something to do with bunching because of the terrain of course, but surprisingly large number of men per mile anyway.
Always been of great interest to me, that whole battle, what a spectacle it must have been, so much happened and unlike lots of battles where formations could be left out of the fun, EVERYONE got their turn on that day, to ""Hard pounding this, gentlemen. Let us see who can pound the longest."".
Civilians who had ridden out to see the battle, were pressed into service as runners for Wellington. There was one diary I read somewhere, of an officer recieving new orders from the regiments civiliain tailor who had been "Only too proud to be of service" when Wellington had spotted him hanging about. And the officer was disgusted to see how excited the bloke was, basically said in his diary he would have been sitting in the town sowing quite happily at that point, if he had of had the chance.
Smile

And Toburk really was a special case. The defenders were AUSSIES. Taught to fight by Kiwis, don't you know, so you need less of them per mile, 'natch.

:p

Blackstump

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of men per suare mile at Waterloo , was due for entirely different reason. The English army under the Iron Duke, at least the majority of them and the entire French army, were using muskets ( shoulder to shoulder, fire when the enemy is massed, on my order, front rank down, back rank step forward, fire on my order ) all of this was close range stuff, with cannon fire from both sides bowling thru the ranks of massed men. However it also marked the begining of a new era of soldier that still exists today.The 95th Regiment, known as the Green jackets, which was formed 6 years earlier and trained with the first rifle used in modern warfare. The Baker rifle, the men where also trained in a new method of offence. It was called skirmishing, where they were to attack in single formation
and gain cover, crouch and actually aim their rifles (unheard of before this war) . Thought to be prone because cavalry would be able to cut them down. As compared to the musket and bayonet. formed into the "English square", used to defend the horse charge. They were used sparingly at the begining of the campaign. However their commander Black Bob Crawford and indeed Wellington were soon to realise that they had a Regiment that where not only capable of "thinning the attack" but where more than capable of routing the stand and deliver style of warfair previously used . This was the begining of using accurate fire from a distance to decimate the enemy line, no longer did the majority win, and the French that day probably felt like the Mahdi's hordes when they charged into the first MG fire with horses and swords at Khartoum and the Sudan.... and BTW the only thing an Aussie has learned from a Kiwi in warfare is how not to wear a hat... wtf are those lemon squeezers anyway...

"percute et percute velociter"

Badger-Bag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. Till we told you guys about toilet paper, you were still using LEAVES, mate.

=]

The sad thing about the Lemon Squeezer, is the "1, 2, 3, 4's" think they invented it. That and the fact that they only make civilian copies in teal blue. Rolling Eyes

Aussies are good for the odd thing, like giving our ugly shelias potential males, taking our dole bludgers off our hands for us, giving us a standard to aim at in cricket . . well, rugby league too .. . . . and tennis. . . swimming, netball, . . . . .

At least we always have it over yah in the Touch Footie.

Smile

cannonfodder67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:43 am Post subject: Hey Badger Reply with quote

You shouldnt do history,when you cant remember your birthdate.
How was your new years?

chocoleibniz

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: Thats interesting indeed Reply with quote

Badger-Bag wrote:
The numbers of men per mile at Waterloo might have had something to do with bunching because of the terrain of course, but surprisingly large number of men per mile anyway.
Always been of great interest to me, that whole battle, what a spectacle it must have been, so much happened and unlike lots of battles where formations could be left out of the fun, EVERYONE got their turn on that day, to ""Hard pounding this, gentlemen. Let us see who can pound the longest."".
Civilians who had ridden out to see the battle, were pressed into service as runners for Wellington. There was one diary I read somewhere, of an officer recieving new orders from the regiments civiliain tailor who had been "Only too proud to be of service" when Wellington had spotted him hanging about. And the officer was disgusted to see how excited the bloke was, basically said in his diary he would have been sitting in the town sowing quite happily at that point, if he had of had the chance.
Smile

And Toburk really was a special case. The defenders were AUSSIES. Taught to fight by Kiwis, don't you know, so you need less of them per mile, 'natch.

:p

In the excellent book 'Redcoat' there is an account, among many, of a British officer getting his leg sawn off in the middle of a square, still directing his men!

In the same battle, the colonel of the Scots Greys got both his arms shot off and rode into the charge with the reins between his teeth.

Champion stiff upper lip winners of all time in my book.....

Badger-Bag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the problem with the old stiff-upper-lip was

*Donaghal Ffarquare-stiffupperlip has both his arms AND his cock shot off, turns to his men*

"Righto chaps, I have no more future, let's have a glorious suicide charge"

Cannonfodder rolls his eyes and asks "Sir, permission to just SHOOT you, and SAY we had a glorious suicide charge?".

Cannonfodder97, MAAAAATE, how the bloody hell are yah?. Smile

Every now and then I ring your joint, in a fit of depressive reminesing, but yer never there.

Birthday?. Thats not for a few weeks I guess. I will check and get back to you.
New Years, I was in bed ( alone Sad ) by 9 30. Sad, eh?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: