Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mickey101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 pm Post subject: Sounds For CCV Mods Reply with quote

Hi all...

Been registered for a while and only really used the site for my own benefit to be honest Embarassed

However, after finally getting hacked off with most of the sounds for CCV (which for me really makes the experience more atmospheric and enjoyable) I have begun making a number of new sound packs which I hope to share among the community here in the near future.

I will say that I am a COMPLETE amateur when it comes to modding, but after fiddling around recently with sound editing tools I have worked out how to do most things and am having a great laugh. I was always a fan of CC1 sounds and the more natural radio talk etc rather than voices obviously recorded by drunk actors, and now the weapon sounds that are seriously over the top - no disrespect intended but I'm sure people will know what I mean!

If anyone has any thoughts on which mods Desperately need new sounds - feel free to comment!

I look forward to sharing some finished items with you

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mickey,

Whats probably missing around here is a basic sound pack. Just a plain old zip file with 100s of voice cues and good quality weapon sounds. Utah is one of my favs because the sounds are powerfull, making you feel like almost powerful in the game. Sounds can be impressive and immerse you in the game. Some mods have sounds taken from microphones that were probably wayyyy to close to the gun, makes them to loud and distored. Other mods use so many sounds that they just dont seem to be the same "format" .....just different sound file qualities... really detracts from the game.

As for a mod needing a fix....... Bloody Omaha! As it stands, BO has two sound plugins. One for fighting on the beaches and one for inland, its pretty annoying and its the only mod that does this I believe. If you dont switch our the beach sound when your inland you keep hearing Saving Private Ryan quotes all the time like "get off the beach!!" ... "Clear the ramp!"

Thanks for you work on mining these sounds!

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could upload my customized sound pack. Has small arms, AT weapons, and large gun sounds for most of the major powers of WW2. Taken from a variety of sources, not just CC.

Sound interesting?

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very interesting, Uberdave!
BTW, I heard that the Combat Mission series has excellent weapon sounds. Is it hard to extract those sounds from the game?

yukongold

Rep: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I look forward to sharing some finished items with you

mickey101, the pool of modders is shrinking these days.........its nice to see some folks are still willing to give it a try.

Quote:
I guess I could upload my customized sound pack. Has small arms, AT weapons, and large gun sounds for most of the major powers of WW2. Taken from a variety of sources, not just CC.

Sound interesting?

Uberdave, that does sound interesting indeed.

Quote:
BTW, I heard that the Combat Mission series has excellent weapon sounds. Is it hard to extract those sounds from the game?

squadleader_id, the Combat Mission sound files are in WAV format.......so they are very easy to use as well.

Here is a link for some of the mod files. You will need to surf around a bit for the different sound mods.

http://www.combatmission.com/mods/pcmodman.asp

Good old Panzer Commander by SSI has a few sounds that aren't too bad either. Also WinSPWW2, went back to WAV format.

http://shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPWW2/1.htm

Cheers

mickey101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about making a 'distance' soundpack that made all of the sounds as if you were some distance away but wasn't sure - a, how this would be received and b, how the hell I would do it?!?!

Also, looking at some good films/combat footage to get some good voices and radio talk.

All fun and games!

yukongold

Rep: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought about making a 'distance' soundpack that made all of the sounds as if you were some distance away but wasn't sure - a, how this would be received and b, how the hell I would do it?!?!

Quote:
voices obviously recorded by drunk actors

I often thought that too. Laughing

Give it a go Mickey, there is only one way to find out. What do you have in the way of a WAV file editor?
One I would recommend (and its free!) is Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There are a plethora of effects plugins that can be used with it and I'm sure that with some experimentation you should be able to come up with the effect you are looking for.

Something that might be worth the effort involved would be a spreadsheet to list the stock sound files and the weapons/events associated with them. Then you can make notes for yourself in another column for any mods you are working on.

Also remember to remove the old WAV files (the ones you are replacing) before you repack the sfx , or you will end up with a huge file.

There seems to be a quite a variety of sound quality in the CC games.......

the bitrate ranges from 352 Kbps to 1141 Kbps and the sample rate ranges from 22Khz to 44Khz. Some sounds are stereo, some mono, but they are all 16 bit. Its hard to say how much better quality is feasable before system resources might become an issue. It would likely depend on the machine and the soundcard. 32 bit might even be possible.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

mickey101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice. I use Sony Soundforge at the moment which I find can edit pretty much anything that makes a noise! LOL

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If you own any World War II based games like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc. you could extract the sounds within the games pak files. You can do this with IZArc, WinZip and WinRAR.

For editing wav files, you can use Soundforge or GoldWave (there are many others). I recommend changing the volume of your custom sound files to 50% so that they blend in with the stock sounds.

Download SFXPacker, It will be used for packing and unpacking wav files within sfx files, located in your CC\LocalFX folder.

Backup your LocalFX folder within the Close Combat directory to another location before making any changes.

QClone can be used for finding out what sound file numbers are assosiated with what weapons, ambient noise, voice and so on. It requires Microsoft Java Virtual Machine in order to work correctly... Here is a small list below for Close Combat IV.

0000 Melee
0001 Grenade
0002 Artillery Explosion
0003 Mauser K 98k
0003 Mauser K 98k ZF-41 (Scoped)
0004 M1 Garand
0004 M1 Garand (AT Grenade Launcher)
0005 M3 Grease Gun
0005 M1A1 Thompson
0006 M1A1 Carbine
0007 MP40
0008 BAR
0009 MG42
0010 .30 cal MG
0011 76.2mm
0011 Aircraft Rocket
0011 M9 Bazooka
0011 Calliope Rocket
0012 Panzerschreck/Raketenpanzerbüchse
0015 AA .50 cal MG
0015 P-38 .50 cal MGs
0020 AA MG34
0020 Bow MG34
0020 Coax MG34
0020 MG34
0021 Springfield M1903
0021 Springfield M1903A4 M84 (Scoped)
0022 Nahvtdgnwf
0022 Smoke Discharge
0022 Smoke Mortar
0022 Panzerfaust 30
0022 Panzerfaust 60
0022 Panzerfaust 100
0023 Explosives
0024 Gewehr 43
0024 Gewehr 43 ZF-41 (Scoped)
0025 Walther P38
0026 Bow .30 cal MG
0026 Coax .30 cal MG
0027 AA .30 cal MG
0027 Light .30 cal MG
0028 Colt 45 M1911A1
0029 StG44/MP44
0030 FG 42
0031 Flamethrower
0032 Mauser K 98k Schiessbecher (AT Grenade Laucher)
0040 Granatbüchse39K and G (AT Grenade Launcher)
0040 Panzerbüchse 39 (AT Rifle)
0041 Geballte Ladung (Grenade Bundle)
0041 Hafthohlladung (HHL)
0055-0072 Death Crys
0078 Game Start (Drum Roll)
0084-0097 Birds
0098 Dog
0099 Cold Wind
0100 Chickens (Flee)
0101-0103 Aircraft (Fly-bys)

The rest is up to you... good luck!

Last edited by Digs on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:29 pm; edited 14 times in total

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

For speeches goto the American Rhetoric website www.americanrhetoric.com .

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: