Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
Wavell

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:07 pm Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

I played CC3 and CC5 many years ago, when the games were new. I'd be quite interested in playing CC again, but the CCS site does not make it clear, to me at any rate, how to do this.
Do I need to have the original disks to play others on the CCS site? I've found my old CC5 disk but I can't find my CC 3 disk. Can I download the full install of the games from the CCS site? If so, where from?
How do I manage to find opponents on the CCS site? None of this is clear to me, although I've played many other games over the net without these difficulties. Overall I don't think the CCS site is friendly to new users.
I have received a private message from someone but, when I go to my "private message" inbox and click on it, nothing happens. How am I supposed to read private messages?
Wavell.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the CCS site does not make it clear, to me at any rate, how to do this.

At the very top of CCS you will see this link "Download Game Spy and play online!" You can play CC3/4/5 on GameSpy. Go to www.tournamenthouse.com/CC2 to find out how to play CC2 online.

Quote:
Do I need to have the original disks to play others on the CCS site?

You do not play people on the CCS site. You play people on GameSpy or Power Lobbies for CC2. And yes ofcourse you do need the original disks to play.

Quote:
Can I download the full install of the games from the CCS site? If so, where from?

No, and I dont know.

Quote:
How do I manage to find opponents on the CCS site?

You find opponents on GameSpy or PowerLobbies. You can however use the forums to ask to play someone.

Quote:
None of this is clear to me, although I've played many other games over the net without these difficulties. Overall I don't think the CCS site is friendly to new users.

This website was setup with the sole purpose of attracting new users. There are many guides on various topics and instructions on how to download and install the mods. There are many other smaller details we've taken care of to to make this easier for someone to start playing.
Use the search functions on CCS. You will find them in the forums, downloads, topics, news and just about any module. We do not attempt to hold anyones hand through the entire process of getting the game running. You do need the basic rudementry skills of installing the game and navigating a website to take part here.

Quote:
I have received a private message from someone but, when I go to my "private message" inbox and click on it, nothing happens. How am I supposed to read private messages?

Nobody else has experienced PM difficulties and I do not know of any current problems with it. I suggest you check your browser.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Wavell

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yup. It does indeed say "download GameSpy and play online". But it does'nt say that you need one of the original disks to do this.
2. How is a newbie to know that you can't play CC on the CCS site? The process of needing the original disks and playing via GameSpy is not clearly explained anywhere. As for "of course you need the original disks" well, today a lot of games can be downloaded from their sites, usually but not invariably in exchange for a fee.
3. If the site was set up to attract new users I don't think it's succeeding very well. This view is supported by the apparent lack of new CC players using the site. If you want to attract new players I suggest you need to explain more clearly what CC is,and "holding a person's hand to get the game running" is precisely what the site should be doing.
Also there is no need to be rude. I have the basic skills of installing (and uninstalling) games and navigating websites and have been doing this for many years. My browser works well, thank you. And I can spell "rudimentary"
You seem very complacent about the site. It really does'nt work very well for newcomers, which may explain why it's not achieving it's objective.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I took for granted that people would know that you need the original CDROMs to play any game from the CC series. I apologize if I seem arrogant but sometimes its frustrating explaining things. The site is succeeding in attracting new players, through new user signups and bandwidth stats that is evident. The people it is not helping are the people who do not ask for help. The greatest source here is not how-to guides, its the people who respond to questions in the forums. Use the forums and you will find out most answers to almost anything.

Quote:
You seem very complacent about the site.

The crew and I do what we can, as best as we can. A how to get started guide has been in the works for quite some time. Many other activities go on in the background that you may not be aware of.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Wavell ... Our goal when we created this Site was to make a site dedicated to CC Series, especially created for newbee ... Apparently we fail that .

of course Game need original Cd to play it ... You speak about new game than u can download it from the web ... But u will may to buy it then. A lot ( and maybe all of them) of new game is simply protected to be unplayable without the original CD... So maybe u spoke about old game avaiable online for free. Maybe that's possible, but not for CC... Well of course you can found any game( and then CC too) for free on peer to peer or this kind of things... but that's never official.

Also there is no need to be rude... << Dont you fell than maybe you were rude with us?? Rolling Eyes

Anyways welcome on CC front line ... The best way to be helped like Mooxe told you is using the forum ... And like he told you too, check out the guides, articles, etc .... A lot of your question would be solved by reading older articles than we posted some month or years before ..
Cheers

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Starker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:43 am Post subject: Newbie Night Reply with quote

Greetings All! I know that you have done a magnificent job keeping this site lively and interesting. And I don't find it difficult to use.
I went to Powerlobbies and logged in and had a nice conversation with some chaps before trying to host a game. But I ran into probs (a mod was select to start, instead of the original game), and one looks a bit foolish when that happens.

My short and simple suggestion would be to send emails to newbies, and invite them to a newbie night. Use PL for CC2 and/or a TeamSpeak channel with directions for people (on how to use TS, the channel, etc.)
Some experience players would 'host' the night and pair up with newbies for practise sessions.

Hope that is not some tired old idea you've done before, but if it is, sorry to waste the bytes!

{KAOS} Starker

Cowmando

Rep: 8.8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playingb the CC games 1 player for years, I must have played CC1 first when i was about 9 years old (am 20 now so i might be out on how long ago it was but deffinately b4 i was 11) and loved it. Then i played CC2 and that was even better. I played them both so much but due to being young i had little money to buy computer games and such. then recently i remembered how much i loved those games so went looking for them on the internet (found a torrent for them all at mininova as .iso i dunno if you indorse this sort of thing so feel free to moderate it) unfortunatly i could not get CC5 to work (although I know some one who knows more about computers who did make it work) anyway i played CC4 and this reminded me even more how good the game is so i went on ebay and bought CC5 for £3. Anyway now to come to my point I would love to get involved with playing it multiplayer especially some of these long running campains i see posted in the post battle reports and on the mercinarys thread. So I was wondering how to go about this have tried going on gamespy but have only come across one person once to play. So some pointers on how to get involved with playing multiplayer would be great, or is idleing on game spy the best way? Also if you do run into me on game spy i must warn you my router does not like it so i will have to meet you on game spy and do a direct ip connect (yes i have opened the ports). It is odd even though the ports are open ingame it still tells me my gateway is my ip (although i can find out my ip).

P.S. yes i do know how to install mods

P.P.S. Go easy on me I am a multiplayer newbie and the AI on CC5 is so bad it is hardly real practice for fighting real people.

JohnDee

Rep: -0.1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relative new to CC, only play(ed) CC5, and i would probably stopped playing it very soon if it wasnt for MultiplayerGames, i.e Gamespy, because the AI is utterly useless, i snuffed them easely even tho i had almost zero understanding of the game..

just wanted to say, this site is great and helped me with my little problems i had at first.. so if something is unclear to you just open a thread about it and wait, i'm sure peops will help as quick as in my case.. simple rule really; if you dont ask you wont get an answer.. logic no?

and most fellas on gamespy are pretty laid back and noob friendly, yea it could be more crowed at times, but then not everyone has as much time at hand as i do Very Happy

and Cowmando;
you only saw one player on Gamespy? well that could be because you didnt went into the Mainlobby, just like i did at first..hehe i only went into those other 2 or so rooms and there nearly always empty.. you have to open gamespy then under mygames click on CC5, a window will open, and now you click on Mainlobby - and voila your in multiplayer heaven.

incase your looking for someone not to bad ass when it comes to skillz, i would love to play GC against you, drop me a pm or find me on gamespy (BlackSn)

Cowmando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the info about the main room will aim to be on game spy soon (after i reinstall it my bloody spyware scan deletes it every time without even asking). I have managed to play a few games against people on game spywith people who are willing to direct ip connect as I can't get my router to actually connect with other people via game spy and i few who refused. I have tried googleing to see if i can find a way to make it. All the results i seem to get are forum posts on random forums from other people with the same kind of router as me (westell) with the same problem and no answers. Yes the AI is bad on CC5 it was better on the older games especially considering the other games around at the time.

Although now i have just tested it clicking main room seems to take me to the same place as clicking play multiplayer.

Cowmando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

woohoo played around with some more router settings and managed to make it work though game spy (although have not tried hosting yet)

JohnDee

Rep: -0.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats fella, now would you care to elaborate a bit on our game status ?

see its pretty much straight forward, if you dont want to continue a GC you say excately that.. capitulate and tell me your pissed off cause ya lost some tanks and whatever the reason is that makes you ignore me since our last battle..

never mind that we're only 4 battles into it, also you could simply pull your bats back and let me do the attacking, your russians so you hold most of he map means you win if it ends like that.. but no, instead of that or simply beeing straight and telling me you give up, you choose to act like we never played ?!

seriously man, if you cant even tell a random dude on the net what you think then god help you in real life.. :lol2

a shame really, since your new like me, so we're pretty much on the same level and on top of that your from the uk aswell, wich is quiet handy Gmt wise..

Cowmando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not been avoidinig you am perfectly willing to carry on the campain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you havent answered any of my msg's even tho you were in the lounge all the time and even playing with someone. i guess that was what gave me the impression your avoiding me..

but yea fair enough, looking forward to continue the GC, was interesting so far.

Cowmando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I tend to leave mt computer running 24/7 and have a bad habbit of not setting away. Although I tend to be pretty good at replying assumeing game spy or my computer did not crash.

CavScout

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavell wrote:
1. Yup. It does indeed say "download GameSpy and play online". But it does'nt say that you need one of the original disks to do this.
2. How is a newbie to know that you can't play CC on the CCS site? The process of needing the original disks and playing via GameSpy is not clearly explained anywhere. As for "of course you need the original disks" well, today a lot of games can be downloaded from their sites, usually but not invariably in exchange for a fee.
3. If the site was set up to attract new users I don't think it's succeeding very well. This view is supported by the apparent lack of new CC players using the site. If you want to attract new players I suggest you need to explain more clearly what CC is,and "holding a person's hand to get the game running" is precisely what the site should be doing.
Also there is no need to be rude. I have the basic skills of installing (and uninstalling) games and navigating websites and have been doing this for many years. My browser works well, thank you. And I can spell "rudimentary"
You seem very complacent about the site. It really does'nt work very well for newcomers, which may explain why it's not achieving it's objective.

Wavell,

Have you not been online enough to understand the concept of a fansite, and the difference between a fansite and a player-matching site like GameSpy? CCS is a fansite, which means fans of the Close Combat series of games can come and chat about the game, learn about new (and past) developments of the game (like modding), find other information, stories, news as well as download patches, mods, tools and other things directly realted to the game. GameSpy on the other hand, is a player-matching site which allows you to connect with other players through the use of their software to play an online multi-player game. Every PC game out there has fansites, official websites, and tools and tips sites. And for every game that has multi-player capability, there is a site/place to go to hook up for a game. MSN Zone and GameSpy Arcade are examples of large player-matching sites.

Quote:
I played CC3 and CC5 many years ago, when the games were new. I'd be quite interested in playing CC again, but the CCS site does not make it clear, to me at any rate, how to do this.

Did you purchase these games in the original box? If so, they came with a manual and explained how to connect with other players online. There is a manual available to download from this site if you did not purchase it in the original box. This is an old game so things have changed a bit from its origial release. The manual directs users to MSN Zone which no longer supports any of the Close Combat games. GameSpy is basically the only player-matching site that supports CC, aside from Battle HQ.

Quote:
Do I need to have the original disks to play others on the CCS site?

You only need the original disk if you plan to play the game in it's original form (unmodded). If you have the game still installed on your hard drive, you can download any of the mods and be able to play without the disk.

Quote:
How do I manage to find opponents on the CCS site? None of this is clear to me, although I've played many other games over the net without these difficulties.

As I stated above, this is a fansite. You cannot play anyone directly from this site. You need to do this on a player-matching site, in which most of us use GameSpy to hook up to play. So if your are interested in player multi-player, I would suggest going to GameSpy and downloading their software that will allow you to meet up with fellow CC gamers. Otherwise make a post stating you want to play someone, what times are good for you, and leave your MSN, AIM or other instant messanger address so they can contact you for a game.

Quote:
Overall I don't think the CCS site is friendly to new users.

Quote:

I have been a CC player/veteran for many years, and this has been by far one of the best sites to come along for a game this old. I feel that this site is a very newbie-friendly site and is well maintained for a fansite ran by a couple of CC players who do this in their spare time and from money out of their own pocket. The amount of information and resources available here for Close Combat is just astonishing. And if you can't find what you are looking for, there are more than enough members who can point you in the right direction - you just have to ask the questions in the right manner.

Hopefully I've made this make more sense to you, and you can go from being a register user to being a member of the Close Combat community.

Cowmando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a message to all those I have ongoing campaigns with I am sorry I have not been on game spy much. I have just been playing a Der Kessel campaign against a real life freind in almost all of my free time. I honetsly don't mind loseing and aim to be on game spy more soon.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Site Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: