Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Author
Roel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote:
The map on the bottom with one connectionis probably Patton comming to relieve Bastogne.

I think you're correct, IIRC it's Vaux-les-Rosières, followed by Sibret, Assenois and then Bastogne.

platoon_michael wrote:

Am I the only one who feels the strat map looks more like "Battle of the Sack"
rather than "Battle of the Bulge"?

There's at least two of us Smile
It seems that ever since CCIV, the stratmap was made from a 'Where did they historically fight?' rather than a 'Where could they have fought?' point of view. And yes, looking at the division of the maps, the focus still seems to be on Bastogne...
As a German player, it's a bit weird that even if you are on a roll, you can only go as far as Marche & Hotton in the W, or Stavelot & La Gleize in the N. IMO, it's not because the 12th SS stalled before Elsenborn that the game should not include the possibility that it would have broken through and exploited towards Liège.
Even with 64 maps, it seems the opportunity has not been taken to represent a larger portion of the potential battlefield. If you ask me, the stratmap should at least cover the area to the Meuse bridges (meaning that your BG would no longer be Rgt level). But hey, there will always be modders Smile

platoon_michael wrote:

Graphically speaking it is the best snow strat map I have ever seen.
I just question the outline.

I agree; the graphics have a nice feeling. However, as AT_Stalky pointed out, the viewing window is still rather limited, you only get to see a little part of the stratmap. And showing the connections on the stratmap would also be very useful.

Roel

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

pvt_Grunt wrote:

Never mind if this tank has 4 crew instead of 5 or if this weapon had 20 or 22 bullets - who cares? Get the data that affects the game right - it's a game not a re-enactment.

Back to some off topic ramblings...
Historical accuracy is one of CCs strongest point...and getting the data right isn't that hard with a little research.
Correcting those data is a simple procedure...not like disassembling the exe Very Happy

IMO, CC is a game AND a re-enactment Smile

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:

Back to some off topic ramblings...
Historical accuracy is one of CCs strongest point...and getting the data right isn't that hard with a little research.
Correcting those data is a simple procedure...not like disassembling the exe Very Happy

IMO, CC is a game AND a re-enactment Smile

Yes my northern neighbor, the data should be correct. But every CC version and mod released has been nitpicked over the details. I'm just trying to get the focus back on the game. IF, for example the sniper is a superhero like GJS it will change the game. Or if the panzerschreck is a laser guided atom bomb like Vet Bob, it will change the game. These are data errors that need fixing to make the game great.

As a modder you know there are thousands of data fields. I expect a paid for game to be right, but a boring game with 100% historical data is still a boring game

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

True...gameplay should be tweaked and perfected...but hopefully the data will also be accurate.
If the developers want to play around with data, do it in fields not really visible to the players...number of crews is very visible...you just need to turn on the soldier status window (F7) to see it. Number of clips, weapon lethality is not really visible unless you open the data files...so I'm fine with some historical cheats on those Very Happy. Only modders and re-enactors will nitpick those data anyway Wink

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Roel wrote:
I just checked out the maps

On Wacht am Rhein? How?

Are you able to say how big individual maps are?

> 1 km square?

Roel wrote:
German offensive and the second half American with some British.

Three nations?

Roel wrote:
From a modding perspective, I'm starting to get a little bit worried though. AFAIK, Stratedit is the only tool that can manipulate the stratmap. The number of map locations and arrows is fixed to respectively 44 and 84 IIRC.

Was it the tool or the game which set this limit?

When StratEdit was turned on CC V did it have to be modified first?

Come to think on it, would StratEdit work on other games besides Close Combat?

Roel wrote:
So, as long as the tool is not updated to cope with 64 maps and with who knows how much connections you can now use, I see no possibility to change the stratmap.

Again, what is setting the limits, game or tool?

Instinct (which is all we have to go on for now) suggests that their should not be a limit to BTD connections; and even if the number of StratArrows is limited, does their lack stop the game working? A well designed stratmap with connections clearly marked might compensate for their lack.

Roel wrote:
I don't know if CplFilth is still around to update his tool or if somebody else is up to that task. If not, well... we might have an issue here

Is StratEdit's source code available?

RD_Roach

Rep: 1.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The modability of this release IMO is its strong point...many things that couldnt be changed before because they were locked in the EXE file,have now been moved outa the EXE and can now be changed....cant remember who asked this....but yes the CC tools have been revamped so thier able to work with this new version.

This is the most modable version yet,and opens the doors to things that werent possible in any other version!!

I cant wait to see what the modders create with this one!!!

CC Greatest Game Ever!
www.reddevilscc.com

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

RD_Roach wrote:
The modability of this release IMO is its strong point...many things that couldnt be changed before because they were locked in the EXE file,have now been moved outa the EXE and can now be changed....cant remember who asked this....but yes the CC tools have been revamped so thier able to work with this new version.

This is the most modable version yet,and opens the doors to things that werent possible in any other version!!

This sounds good, the developers have listened to the players / modders. As we all know, once the GC is finished people will start looking for mods to play, more games - more sales!

About the exe, werent some tools able to change the file? Mafi's and strat edit changed the exe I believe. What's different now?

Roel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

RD_Roach wrote:

Sounds very promising! If that's the case, my money is spent already Smile

Bordic

Rep: 20.8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always guessed about that: since the goal for the German was to reach Antwerpen, why isn't there at least the possibility to overcome the Ardennes crossing the Meuse as to represent a German minor victory, even if in a Bulge?
Crossing the Meuse should mean no hard obstacles until Lieges, Bruxelles and then Antwerpen.

Another perplexity I have is the use of a completely snow covered stratmap, shouln't the first rows of maps be at least snowclear?

I also hope that the game won't be reduced to fight on and on in the same maps where the supply points are situated! I remember two maps in particular where battles were fought in every turn: Esche sur "and something" and in the North around Malmedy...where the maps were too small for the troops deployment.

Just my two (half) cents.

Et agere et pati fortiter romanus est

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...........

So now that we have the game and have played the game (despite needing another patch)

Where do you guys stand "Now" on WAR?

Is it Historically accurate for you?
Do you like the Data?

Or do you want the next patch before commenting?

We need something else to discuss other than whats been going on.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:06 am Post subject: Re: Wacht Am Rhein Strategic Map Discussion Reply with quote

bump this too

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: