Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1225
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
gravyface

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:18 am Post subject: Love the mod but... Reply with quote

6 pounders are unreal... I destroyed 3 Tigers from 100-150 yards with one gun.

I had no idea that Hitler's germany had invented Adamantium 20 years before Wolverine! It's no wonder they coated their Panther As in it! Unstoppable! Rolling Eyes

bkp_mik

Rep: 3.6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Played with computer? Try killing 3 tigers with 6pdr in a head to head game.

gravyface

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

How would that make a difference? There's obviously something wrong with the armor table.

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point Mik is making is that a human opponent would not place 3 valuable tanks in a position where they could be destroyed by an ATG.

They would most likely have infantry cover in front to spot the gun as soon as it fired if not before and the tanks would be a greater distance from it so that it would not get a one shot kill at such short range.

As to the actual ability to kill a Tiger at short range it would be possible, IIRC the 6pdr was able to KO Tigers in Tunisia, and that was before they started to use APDS as an Anti-tank round, which was standard issue in Normandy.

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

karlmortar

Rep: 16.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a ATG on 57mm, it's a very good ATG.

It was able to destroy most German tanks, even some heavy ones, especialy with APDS and other newer powerful AP rounds.

Personaly, I love the 6pdr ATG! Very Happy

"CC for ever"

bkp_mik

Rep: 3.6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronson is right.
Gravyface, tell me, how did u kill those tigers? Sideshot, rearshot, front armour penetration? I may only assume they were killed with side- or backshots. Few human players would allow you to do such a slaughter without reaction. Even if u killed one tiger, one would not give u another and another one by one just to see them die. Probable gun site would be covered with mortar or infantry fire and then not one but 2 or even more tigers would come together to get rid of the gun. Thats h2h life, no easy work bud.

gravyface

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Two were frontal, one was the side. I'm not questioning tactics -- we all know the AI is poor -- but the AT capabilities of the six pounder.

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Penetration of armour is one of the most debatable topics I've ever come across....coming a close 2nd to Life after Death! Smile

However here are some figures for you, they can only ever be an approximation of performance, as no 2 shells or the pieces of armour that they strike are identical. So allow a good 10-20% error factor here.

The 6pdr ATG used in Normandy in '44 used 2 types of AT ammunition...

Armour Piercing Cap Ballistic Cap (APCBC) Mk9T......This fired with a Muzzle Velocity of 2,800 ft/sec could achieve a penetration of 88mm of armour angled at 30 degrees at 1,000 yards.

Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS) Mk1T.......This fired with a higher MV of 4.000ft/sec and could achieve a penetration of 146mm of upright armour or 130mm at 30 degrees, again at 1,000 yards.

So a frontal penetration of a Tiger at 100-150 m is not that far fetched.

Its worth noting that the accuracy of the APCBC was better than that of APDS and the latter ammunition was used only if there was any doubt over the formers ability to pentrate.

Two types of 6pdr were service issued, the MkII and MkIV, the difference between them being that the MkIV had a slightly longer bore 112 inches or 50cal against 96 inches or 43 cal for the Mk11. The Mk IV also featured a muzzle brake.

I hope this information is of some use to you Smile.

Cheers
Ronson

PS. The first Tigers to be KO'd by 6pdrs of the RA in WW2 were 2 of 501 battalion in Tunisia during the Kasserine battle in 1943, these were hit in the flank at 500yds by 2 troops of 72nd AT Regiment RA (part of 6th Armoured Divison) near Pont du Fahs.

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
these were hit in the flank at 500yds

That's approx. the full width of a CC map.

Wouldn't that set the cat amongst the pigeons?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

gravyface

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm sold... Very Happy Now what about the Panther As? Over a course of 4 turns on one particular map, I lost 9 Achilles with the 76mm QF* against two Panthers in question. Repeated flank shots, several front shots, and one rear/side shot could at best immobilize two already immobile (out of fuel) Panther As. One by one, the two surrounded Panthers would slowly rotate and knock out my Achilles like clockwork.
Of course, only the mighty 6 pounder was able to eventually dispatch the armor, along with a lucky PIAT shot; The 76mm seemed to have no stopping power at all.
* what's up with Rate of Fire anyways? It seems nowhere near avg. shots per minute, regardless of type of gun. This isn't just GJS either -- seems all mods and originals suffer from slow RoF. Is this a game balance/playability decision?

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

gravyface wrote:
The 76mm seemed to have no stopping power at all.

Isn't this why they refitted the Achilles with a 17 pounder?!

Cathartes

Rep: 101.3
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

6pdrs can kill Tigers and such because of APDS rounds. These rounds were available in limited supply for Brits but not American guns until later in the war. If I remember correctly (and it's been quite a while) we gave 6 pdrs about 1/2 dozen rounds, and after they are gone in a battle that 6 pdr will be generally useless against a Tiger or a Panther.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Gold, Juno, Sword

Jump to: