Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1225
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
gravyface

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:30 am Post subject: Successor to Close Combat? Reply with quote

What's the deal? Is there a new tactical squad-based RTS WW2 game out there that's as good as CC? Anything in the works?

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a new tactical squad-based RTS WW2 game out there that's as good as CC?

No
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Theatre of War (RTS/TBS hybrid with realistic data) ... but IMO CC is still much better...and more fun to play Wink
Try Faces of War and Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 (1&2) if you like tactical wargaming mixed with Commandos style action Wink
And if you want to just blow things up WW2-style with pretty graphics...try Company of Heroes, Blitzkrieg Series and maybe Sudden Strike Series Very Happy

As for me...I'm still happily exploring (and reexploring) the CC Series and the mods! Enough wargaming to last a lifetime! And I'm just gonna wait until Shrecken & Co. produce the next CC!

gravyface

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "next CC from Schreken & Co" CC6?

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

i been hooked on a FPS Call of duty4 for months now...god its fun.

espree de corp

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

ANZAC_Tack wrote:

Tack, gravyface asked about new tactical squad-based RTS WW2 game...not FPS Smile
But on that note...I'm gonna get Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway next week...the BiA franchise delivers good Tactical FPS...but not as complex as Operation Flashpoint or ARMA.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

played demo of CoH, looked quite good, but i found the 3d interface quite difficult to move around in, and soldiers acted in strange ways,such as a us 7 man squad tacking on a HMG42 crew, and winning....and in the open, as if...

espree de corp

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
ANZAC_Tack wrote:

Tack, gravyface asked about new tactical squad-based RTS WW2 game...not FPS Smile
But on that note...I'm gonna get Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway next week...the BiA franchise delivers good Tactical FPS...but not as complex as Operation Flashpoint or ARMA.

Hells Highway is a great game, of course it is US soldiers again..of course it is Airborne as episod one..but i have never seen smoke from the outgoing empty weapon shells in a RPS before!

You will love it! Very Happy / Mats

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapa wrote:
Hells Highway is a great game, of course it is US soldiers again..of course it is Airborne as episod one..but i have never seen smoke from the outgoing empty weapon shells in a RPS before!

You will love it! Very Happy / Mats

I'm looking at it too, they even have ads on TV for it now. They show a bazzoka taking out a church tower and my wife says "That looks like one of your games" - And I thought she didnt take any notice Very Happy

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Theatre of War is coming next to CC IMHO. I played the Demo only. It is too much micro management but moreover it lacks the atmosphere and immersion. It is not much editable, due to 3d. Sadly GI Combat and it´s succesor was troubled from the start. My gaming combintion is CC and OFP with it´s numberous mods. Best is the Liberation Mod 1941-45.
In fact I have CC running on my HD constantly since 1998.

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

gravyface

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I find the 3d games weight you down with camera micro-management -- you can't beat a solid top-down 2D game, or at least if it's 3d, have sensible default camera views/modes. Seeing how many dedicated CC players there are, it blows my mind that somebody hasn't picked up where it left off and ran with it.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot...a friend of mine suggested John Tiller's Squad Battles series for a change of pace (Battalion/Company level tactical battles but TBS).
Lock'n Load Heroes of Stalingrad looks promising too.
Nothing replaces CC though...they're just useful for brief interludes between CC campaigns Wink

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Armoured Brigade. It's not as brutal as CC and has pretty ugly graphics, but it has a colour based heigh map, a possibility of checking line of sight from any given point, interesting artillery and air support system, non-spotted sources of fire aren't shown, spotted sources of fire are marked on map, it has a random map generator, AI that actually works, etc.
It's not WWII though - it's 1987. But it doesn't have modern tech as overpowered as in CCMT and due to a very solid design I have much more hopes for it's future than for CC series.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
Forgot...a friend of mine suggested John Tiller's Squad Battles series for a change of pace (Battalion/Company level tactical battles but TBS).
Nothing replaces CC though...they're just useful for brief interludes between CC campaigns Wink

Are they free to download? Because I can't spare cash on an Hex-board strat game at the moment Sad

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

flick wrote:
squadleader_id wrote:

Are they free to download? Because I can't spare cash on an Hex-board strat game at the moment Sad

The JT Squad Battles series is pretty old...but not abandonware...but probably cheap if you can find them used.

Here's a screenshot of Squad Battles 6: Advance of the Reich:

Should appeal to ASL fans...and maybe CC players.

As for Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad ...brand new PC conversion of the L'nL board wargame...L'nL is basically ASL-lite with prettier graphics.
L'nLHoS will be published by Matrix Games (soon?)...unlike WAR, there's a lot of info on this game at the Matrix site.

Some screenshots:

Last edited by squadleader_id on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

flick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad, sounds more like it!

I've been looking at the panzer campaigns tables, and I'm a bit lost with all the choice's, but very interested.

Iis there a demo that you can download, to see if you like the game? I dunno where to start Sad

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad's demo is not ready yet Sad
http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?SID=33&SCAT=74&ID=68

Here's a brief video of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdOMQsOvZM

Last edited by squadleader_id on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

flick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean the HPS simulation games.

I've been kind of afraid of those Hex-based games, because they look so damn complicated to learn. But I though i'd take the plunge with this series..

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...I see.
You might want to start with the smaller scale hex-games (Battalion/Coy level battles)...less complex and similar scale to CC scenarios.
But your choice Wink

flick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that was just an example..I have walk before I run.

I agree, I need to be pointed in the right direction of something more simple, but in the same style.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: