Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1248
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
bogo24dk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:42 pm Post subject: Any reviews ??????? Reply with quote

Can any one make a small review how the new cc is. Is the ai better or is it just a re-release of the old cc4 with minor changes ?

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is my first opinion from new cc4 game.

-Scroll on strategy map could be better. It is too fast.

-We can not select more of one air attack by map as on CCMT. I understand because it happens but I would like see it.

And some very good things.

-IA is 200% better, it is not as one human player but I must not be waiting years for one attack. And if IA has better units than you........you are bad, very bad.

-Weapons are different, indirect fire is better, more realistic.

-Vehicles movement, it is better, I had not problems moving them on the small towns from game, they do not make strange things.

-I like the weapon sounds and new weapon icons. As the vehicle graphics.

Good I have played only two battles and I did not win one, yes I have not played CC in months and I´m older. But I like this new version and I see many mod possibilities if we can change the maps without problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just for you guys still sitting on your wallets, I stayed up late last night playing through the Bastogne scenario so I could give some of you a reason to warm up your debit cards.

First off a quick look at my system specs, for comparison to what you have if you're wondering how WaR will run on your system:

Intel P4 3.4ghz
2GB RAM
512MB ATI Radeon 3850 AGP
Windows XP Professional sp3
LG 22" widescreen monitor @ 1680x1050x32

The good news is that WaR runs very smoothly on my system. Air strikes were smooth(and spectacular!).
I didn't notice any slowing down or lagging during fights.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed "Cross of Iron" you should enjoy "Wacht am Rhein".

Since I've only played one scenario, I can't comment with authority on the AI, but from what I've seen in my limited time, it appears to perform at step up from the AI in COI. Pathfinding appeared to be mostly very good.

The graphics are very nice, with beautiful little explosions and smoke, even the smoke markers for the air strikes are a thing of beauty. Battle sounds are also very well done. I especially liked the mortar sounds.

Just so I don't sound like too much of a fanboy, there were a few things that I don't like about WaR from an initial impression. I don't like the fact that the menu screens are in 1024x768. I assume it was too much work to recode it to be able to have the menus at the same resolution as the battle screens. Although, COI was able to accomplish this. But, whatever.

I'm also not very impressed with the American voices used. Unlike COI, where it felt like the Russian soldiers were yelling at you like you were right on the battlefield with them, the Americans are radioing their information to you, complete with mic clicks. The Americans also seem too relaxed and calm, like they are out for a Sunday walk instead of in the middle of a battle. When my M10 Wolverine got taken out by a Tiger, the instead of the crew screaming and yelling that they're hit, I get a calm, collected "We're bailing out" radio message from the crew. I'm not sure if these voices were in the original CC4, as it's been too long since I've played that...and I didn't have time to boot it up last night to check.

The ambient battlefield sounds are a little sparse, and the volume is quite low. I wish there was a way to elevate them a bit so that the distance crump of shells and the occasional bird can be heard in the background.

Of course, those are very minor nitpicks. Overall, the game seems to be pretty much the same Close Combat that I have loved over the years. If you're a Close Combat enthusiast, based on my admittedly limited experience with WaR, I see no reason not to whip out the debit card and make the purchase.

The gameplay is great, the graphics are gorgeous and the AI is improved. What more do you need for an excuse to support the fine folks at Matrix?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The AI seems to have improved as well. Since I don't own the original game anymore I can only judge by comparing to CC4 demo which I played some days ago. While the demo mission was a walkover, I got my ass handed at first campaign scenario already.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m running a similar system with no problems. So far I’ve played one short scenario and loved it. I completely agree with your observations. This appears to be one that will keep you up for long hours. One thing was missing and you pegged it. I wish I could zoom in on the action. Artwork is beautiful and the zoom would be icing on the cake. Also, good observation on the voices. That being said, a big two thumbs up to Matrix.

schrecken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
I will agree with those who says its the best retail version of Close Combat to date

Roel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine: it's the best yet, get it!

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done S3T and Matrix!

- The new vehicle graphics rules (by Neil N. AKA Linebacker right?)...the new camo schemes and details look great. CC4: VetBoB (smaller tanks vetmod) looks great...but WAR's vehicle graphics looks just as good...if not better.

- The Opponent AI for single player games is surprisingly not bad...way better than the original CC4 (and CC5). Not as overkill as VetBoB (lethal weapons!)...which is good news to me. The AI still can't carry out a decent attack...it's aggressive but still dumb as the attacker (sending squads at VLs piece meal, no AFV-Infantry combined arms tactics). The AI controlled AFVs do seem to be more active moving...but sometimes just randomly...and sometimes driving straight into VLs (and easily destroyed using infantry AT weapons at point blank range).
The AI on defense is pretty tough...attacking will give experienced players a good challenge. I like how the AI aggressively counter-attacks after losing VLs. AI Infantry hiding inside buildings are also especially tough to supress and destroy. The AI still doesn't setup properly, and sometimes break cover to manouver without good reason.

- Yup, the Soldier AI is more prone to ducking under fire and aborting movement...but in WAR it's not as annoying as the "girlie soldiers" in CoI and CCMT...phew! A few more clicks are needed to reissue lost orders...but I find it managable Very Happy

- The new maps are awesome...SouthernLand outdid himself again...as always! Smile

- The weapon sounds are crisp, realistic and well done, the command and death sounds are a bit generic...a lot of CC5 mods feature more 'brutal' command and death sounds Wink. Still some minor bugs in the sounds (English spoken line when US request truce while playing as Germans - speaking Germans).

- Weapons artwork on the interface looks great...too bad the interface is still locked (with black borders) and not fully stretchable so you can't really see the weapons graphics up close. The guns/cannon graphics is done in 'traditional CC style'...personally I prefer gun graphics from mods like VetBoB, Utah, GJS-TRSM...close up and showing the Nozzle Break graphics.

- Great work on fixing the rank graphics bug in the Tactical Map interface...now they show Heer, SS and FJ ranks correctly (this feature was broken in CC4-CC5, only displaying one type of ranks).

- The Waffen-SS tank crews coded and displayed using Heer ranks need to be fixed in the next patch.
Also Panzerwaffe fans might nitpick about the Panzer crew uniforms...Assault Guns crews should be wearing Gray, not Black.
Waffen-SS Panzer crews also wore camo, besides panzer crew black. Maybe panzer fans can add to this?

- Vehicle pathing is much better...but sometimes tanks still turn in circles or do random about turns instead of reversing smoothly. The AI controlled tanks are a lot more active, compared to the campers in CC4-CC5.

- The interface screen expanded from locked 800x600 is welcome...why not make it stretchable to full screen Smile

- The new text files for modding is a great idea...but modders need tutorials to edit these. The WAR workbook looks great too...good work, Guys!

- Nice features, well polished and very playable out of the box...looks like I'll be busy with this one for quite a while Very Happy

Flamethrower

Rep: 11.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 pm Post subject: Positive feedback Reply with quote

some positive responses @ http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1945576&mpage=1&key=�

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

Jump to: