Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1238
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Joe98

Rep: 12.2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:19 pm Post subject: Kharkov - an AAR Reply with quote

Kharkov – an AAR

I recently played a game against Hank. Here is a small AAR.

Hank’s Soviets started with the usual assault on Kharkov from the northeast
-

-

Players would be aware that the Germans stationed in Kharkov, can make devastating counterattacks over the open ground in a north easterly direction.

After a few turns, Hank mentioned he had not yet played as the Soviet side. I thought his advance toward Kharkov was not as vigorous as it might be and I suspect he was concerned about German counterattacks in the area.

My response was to hedgehog an infantry unit out front hoping to disrupt his advance. I included a recon unit in the stack as this unit can “see” further than standard units. I was hoping the recon unit would spot any major advance coming and at the same time spot any uncovered artillery units he might have so I could send over some counter battery fire
-

-

Placing these units out there was a bit of a gamble. I was trying to set up a defensive line as you can see and removing these units from that line might prove disastrous!

Meanwhile in the south, he quickly broke through. The units of the German 62nd infantry division have a number of options.

They can hedgehog in situ. The problem with this is that to be effective they would need to be 2 hexes apart. Then they could adversely affect the Soviets supply. They could move so they are 2 hexes apart and entrench. But then it takes another turn before they can hedgehog and the Soviets could attack and damage these units during the one turn delay. Further, to entrench whilst out of supply costs a supply can and the act of hedge hogging uses up a supply can and the Soviet attack would also use up a German supply can. So, the division, while hedgehogged in a good location, would be down 3 supply cans and not likely to last the distance!

And, if the Soviets simply go around the 62nd infantry division to their south, Soviet supply is not affected by the presence of the division.

Or the division could withdraw towards either Kharkov or Krasnograd. If they withdraw towards either objective it weakens the defence of the other. Its a tough call.

I chose to withdraw towards Kharkov. Ultimately it is the most valuable objective on the map. The 62nd infantry division then entrenched and then hedgehoged in the rough ground approaching kharkov
-

-

His Soviet armour sliced through right between Kharkov and Krasnograd. This was clever as his armour was invisible to me for about 2 turns and this was a concern.

As it turned out the armour turned south and moved towards Kragnosgrad.

I moved some weak troops to defend Kransograd and was able to hedgehog a few of these. There was much combat and I was very worried for a while but Kransograd held.

In the meantime, down in the south, my German attack started. I noticed that he did not occupy his strong points (“SP”) with entrenched troops. As a result, to destroy a SP with artillery takes a single dice instead of a double dice.

In the early turns, my artillery took out as many strong points as possible to clear the way for the coming offensive.

When the offensive began, his initial defence behind the river was pretty good and my advance was slower than I had hoped for.

-

-

But soon my troops had moved up to the river which flows nearby to Izyum

I had hoped to capture this objective but just then my attack supply ran out and the offensive stalled! I got within 2 hexes of the objective but his defence was too good and I could not get any closer.

There would be little movement around this area for the remains of the game.

I placed interdiction, as shown in the next screenshot but he said it had no detriment to the supply of his troops to that were west of this area

As a result, his armour that had been threatening Krasnograd, turned north to threaten Kharkov.

There was now much fighting south of Kharkov. I had hoped the interdiction in the screen shot above would cut the supply to the Soviet armour here but he says it did not.

Ultimately the fighting bogged down around here till the end of the game.

If the final score were 300 points or less this would result in a draw. As the game wound down with about 5 turns remaining, the projected score was about 290 points in his favour and as we approached the end, the figure slowly reduced but I thought for sure he would score a points victory.

As the German player moves last, my last turn was a very gamey turn. I moved troops to places I would never move them if it were not the last turn and destroyed a few Soviet units. The game was officially a draw but I got a points victory.

Otherwise it was a great tight game which went down to the wire!

We need to think of how the gamey last turn can be avoided.

We both found our movement restricted by the Areas of Operation. It seems to me that

-a tournament game should be played using random AO’s;
-PBEM game is best played without using the AO’s and;
-a game against the excellent AI should always use the AO’s
-Interdiction plced near Izygny has no adverse effect on the Russian supply to the west of this point. This does not make sense.
-

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to learn the rules of this game? And is their a demo to download?

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

flick, it's a great game it's fun right away, but it takes a lot to get very good. I've been playing the series for over a year now and I'm still learning. But to me, that's the sign of a great game

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you the location of a downloadable demo?

Joe98

Rep: 12.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

flick wrote:

And is their a demo to download?

There is no demo

flick wrote:

How hard is it to learn the rules of this game?

There are not rules, instead the game has features.

A simple example: Armour has a "shock" value. Some hex types such as rough ground have anti shock ( anti tank) values and some units have ant shock ( ant tank) values.

if you are on the attack, then you would prefer ti use armour, over open ground ( with no anti shock value) and attack a enemy unit with no anti shock (anti tank) values.

Good players will utilise this feature for victory and the poor players will not.

There are other fetures too to be utilised by one player and to be nullified by his opponent. This is what makes a good player.
-

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: