Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just playing my GC vs. the AI when this situation occurred at Periers Ridge. (This German BG of the 21st Pz have been giving my poor Highlanders a two-day hell here, despite the fact that they've been isolated.) But as you can see: My Sherman is mobile, but refused to move closer to the farm.

Don't know if it's because of the German panzer grenadiers or the fact that there were two Pz. IV visible behind the farm earlier?

Periers Ridge, pm 9th.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.17 KB
 Viewed:  19321 Time(s)

Periers Ridge, pm 9th.JPG

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

<bump>
Any new reports?

salhexe

Rep: 70.1
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two results of same battle with exe original and exe changed.
The original has more moving around, exe changed have most direct but slower to move, result at 15 min same vl conquest.
I also noticed a different approach in gc when Ai departing from the east (very efficient GJS, Berlin) and the ai is very slow in the attacks from the west ( german ai in Stalingrad), but I think we have a basic problem of the original game.
In general, when Ai attack from east you have a fun mod to play Smile

con exe orig.jpg
 Description:
with original exe
 Filesize:  118.89 KB
 Viewed:  19227 Time(s)

con exe orig.jpg

con exe mod.jpg
 Description:
with exe mod
 Filesize:  128.87 KB
 Viewed:  19227 Time(s)

con exe mod.jpg

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Salhexe...but that doesn't really illustrate the difference between 'vanilla' registry and the edited (DiffLevel=03 00 00 00). IMHO the main difference is the squad firefights and close quarters combat...enemy soldiers are harder to kill and your men tend to be more sensitive to battle stress (more cowering, less shooting etc).
Rushing is also harder now with units more prone to aborting movement.
Men also react slower to orders compared to vanilla registry settings.

Keep the reports coming in! Are we just delusional over this?
I was also told that the game actually ignores the DiffLevel registry entry since it was just left over from previous versions. Really? Yeah right!! Wink

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

7A_Woulf wrote:
I was just playing my GC vs. the AI when this situation occurred at Periers Ridge. (This German BG of the 21st Pz have been giving my poor Highlanders a two-day hell here, despite the fact that they've been isolated.) But as you can see: My Sherman is mobile, but refused to move closer to the farm.

Don't know if it's because of the German panzer grenadiers or the fact that there were two Pz. IV visible behind the farm earlier?

Yup...been playing a lot of Utah lately...I saw this happen quite often too.
Tanks will choose to concentrate fire on sighted enemy positions and refuse to move closer to the enemy. Sometimes you need to send out infantry to scout ahead before the tanks will move.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this over at CSO...

OK, here's one of the reason why I'm one of 'the believers' in the power of the DiffLevel = 03 00 00 00 registry edit.
Playing my daily CC battles vs the AI (on any mod) you recognize the difference right away...compared to vanilla registry.

But when playtesting my mod...I was truly sold
OK...we have Indonesian anti-tank infantry squads in the mod...basically a bunch of guys armed with explosives and Jap lunge mines. These guys destroy British tanks by rushing at them kamikaze style with hopes of blowing up the tank close-range with explosives and mines.
With 'normal' CC5 (without DiffLevel editing)...this was pretty easy to do...just order them to rush (move fast order) the tank and unless they take very heavy casualties or lose leaders they will usually reach the tank and start 'partying' Very Happy
So...I also experimented briefly with converting the mod (demo version) to CCWAR.
Now using these tank buster squads were much harder...thanks to the Girlie Soldiers(TM) AI...it takes a lot of clicks and re-clicks to get them to rush a tank...and most of the time they will abort rushing and go to ground.
Imagine my surprise when I applied the DiffLevel edit and went back to test the CC5 version of the mod...my tank buster squads now perform just like (well maybe slightly less girlie) their CCWAR version! So the DiffLevel edit does make a difference!

salhexe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Very Happy

Dauphin

Rep: 12.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it short
here are the points that I have noticed using the 003 parameter for the AI
- use of smoke
- use of off board artillery
- use of airplanes
- the use of mortar is effective against an offensive
- guns are set in better places
- the ennemy tends to do better traps
- less or much fewer crawling units
- better use of grenades

However the AI i far from being perfect. But that is still an improvment

Jace10

Rep: 1.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
I was also told that the game actually ignores the DiffLevel registry entry since it was just left over from previous versions. Really? Yeah right!! Wink

Who told you this...? Not someone working on the Longest Day perhaps...?

Dauphin

Rep: 12.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a tecchie I believe. Someone who has read THE book.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace10 wrote:
squadleader_id wrote:

Who told you this...? Not someone working on the Longest Day perhaps...?

You guessed right! Wink
Too bad they just believe the tecchie and condemned this as delusional ranting without even bothering to test the setting.
See the CSO forums for more details... Very Happy

Jace10

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you point me to the thread in question please, its not in the AI thread I wrote in...

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

http://www.closecombatonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14812&page=2
http://www.closecombatonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14899

Jace10

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, very intestesting Hero = 2???

The problem in these threads appears to be the Strat3 guys spend so much time working on modding GJS etc into CCV that they don't play the games enough. All that testing didn't spot all the unit icon bugs in TLD. If they'd played a campaign start to finish those kinda things would have been obvious. Not to say this is diffinative one way or the other, but I know from my experience that slight changes here and there have nasty side effects.

E.g I am beginning to think that the size of the names files has a big impact on stability of basic CCV Normandy. Too large and you risk a crash when you execute your first moves on a big campaign etc. Smaller = more stable... pain in the bottom that one cause it took me ages to spot it, but a process of elimination pointed at the names.txts - unreal...

I'd been using large modded txts and the game kept crashing and all the adb files could be replaced with stock without fixing it. Only the names files fix it. Looks like a memory thing to me.

Incidentally over the weekend I added Lock N Load BG icons to CCV I'll bring in some screenshots and / or the Scrngadg and Gamegdg files if anyone wants them - also imported the WaR game interface

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like CCTLD was rushed for release...I wonder why?...it hasn't been tested enough for sure.
I found basic errors in data coding...and it's too bad that S3T didn't even 'upgrade' the interface graphics like they did for CCWAR.
I played a bunch of battles and 1/4 of an Ops...enjoyed the night battles (woohoo!) and the tough CC2-like AI (harder to kill like our experiment with CC5 registry, but also more active moving and attacking)...but I spent today fixing up the bugs and customizing the game so CCTLD's details are up to the level of CC5 Normandy mods I'm used to playing (GJS-TRSM, Utah, Bloody Omaha).
I've fixed most of the coding issues (ranks gadgets, uniforms)...I've even added my own version of Brit Para ranks (Denison Smock camo). Also worked on a custom uniforms.txt file...based on historic uniforms used in CC5 mods...the stock CC5 uniforms from Atomic suck!

Anyway...name files do cause crashes. Irregular characters usually cause this...I recommend using a spreadsheet to edit the Names files...not notepad.

And lastly, Jace10...I'd love to see those Lock'N Load icons you ported to CC5!
You've modded all the BG Icons with LnL art?

Jace10

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
I was in a rush this morning so I copied my backup folder for my mods.
I've uploaded my whole mod, ie my installation of CCV as it is on my PC. Not all the files in CCV folder, just those changed by modding.

You're a modder so you'll know what to do with the files. For the others who might want to try it, firstly, its not a plugin file. To play it etc you should make a copy of your entire CCV folder as a back-up and be running stock CCV 5.01. Then simply copy all the files over.

The premise of the mod is to take stock CCV and tweak it, fix bugs, improve interfaces etc. Its not a proper mod, just a collection of tweaks.

Includes:

Data Mods - mostly bug fixes, a few new weapons, bigger names files, Team changes, changes to Battlegroups, removed all French tanks, Ostruppen have russian names.

Elements, Force Pool, Weapon changes - mortars less accurate, longer to fire, SVT-40 fixed, RPzB and Zook changed to WaR stats, weapon weights tweaked for support weapons and rifles. Accuracy of MGs etc slightly reduced. etc etc Granade bundles for Sturmtrupps, Demo charges for AB engineers. M1919A6 in for AB squads.

Graphics

Imported WaR game interface (not the mainscreen etc, just the green panels you see when the game is playing) - and associated unit icons etc. BG icons (from Lock N Load).

New Tank colours for US. New AT gun colours. Some map fixes (missing trees that sort of thing)

New weapon graphics. Some from WaR, some modded.

Soldier Colours - my own take on what they should look like.

Download link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OCFLMF0H

salhexe

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

How to use registry folder?

Jace10

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

salhexe wrote:
How to use registry folder?

Right, that is for my install it sets all the registry settings to my preferred values, including the diff=03 for the AI, basically if you have done the difflevel=03 registry change mentioned earlier in this thread you dont need to use it. How it works is, if you double click it it will add the said registry entries into your registry. I have thought about this and because it mentions an install location and drive installed from (C:/Program Files etc) then if you have it installed to a different directory it will cause CCV to not run.

I'll fix it and reupload it.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace10,

I've installed and given your customized CC5 mod a test...I like the changes! Nice work!
One thing though...the gadgets included in the file doesn't have the Lock'NLoad BG Icons you mentioned...they're standard CC5 BG Icons.
I was very curious about those Lock'N Load BG Icons.
Did you upload the wrong version? (gadget files are dated May 6, 2009).

Could you upload just the ScrnGadg and GameGadg files with the new Lock'N Load BG Icons please...I don't want to download the whole set again.
Thanks in advance!

Jace10

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

By BG icons I meant the ones that appear on the strat map, not unit icons you might see on a requisition screen.. start a campaign.

Maybe we got wires crossed about what id done.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: