Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Florian_geyer

Rep: 4.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:20 pm Post subject: Wacht am Rhein GC - US v German (AI) Reply with quote

This is in progress....the GC is now on Day 7 Turn one.

Thus far the Germans have not been able to break out and many are bogged in their jumping off points. US starting to aggressively counter.

Overall the AI seems better than CC4 and CC5 regarding AI, then again, I'm rusty!

I tend just to give a brief summary of the battle and not go blow by blow. When something notable happens (usually only good for me!) I will post that as a clip. Even so this is lengthy, but I hope you enjoy.

Day 6 Turn `1.

Eleven Battles to fight. Germans threatening a break in the center and with one group in the south part of the battle.
Am committing heavy artillery support to the units that face larger armor concentrations as they are the best bet to stop the drive initially.

First battle is at Ramsched. I am using the 394/99 ID against KG Telkamp. We pushed the Germans back a bit and have managed to hold on to the Western sector of the town. We secured the ridge that is west and north of the village and hold the ridgline south of the village. Germans overan our outposts and the main ridge. Goal is to obviously hold the two ridges and village and exit VL. Would like to clear out the ridge with infantry to put AT assets on that northern ridge VL area. Three zook teams and 57mm gun are important AT assets. Will deploy gun to guard VL one zook each on ridge and one in village. Take three HQs and four infantry teams. MGs will use the lvl4 building and place another to cut the main center road. I expect about five Panthers to come with infantry and armored carriers. This map is gravy but I want to hold it as long as possible.

Arty does little. I take out a Panther and cripple another but lose a zook team a leader team and a rifle team. I take out an enemy inf team, a schreck team, and it seems two tanks one by a kill and one by killing most of the crew. My infantry and men are weary and are breaking very fast, which makes it difficult for me to hold the ridge directly east of the village. I lose the heights as this is the only area of conflict. Morale is really low. However, I can hold out and keep this dangerous enemy BG out of the main fight.

Second battle of the day is at South Eifel. Here I have a tough task as KG Peiper is assault me in force. I have opposing them 422/106 ID. The enemy took four of the seven VL's including the center. If I can hold down here for the rest of the day and the next its gravy. My group is worn thin and fought here for quite awhile until eventually yielding to 295/VG and KG Bayer. However, they have held the map and here we will stay. AT is limited to about five bazooka teams and a couple of 57 mm guns, which will only piss off the Tigers. I may use some engineers for close assault if it comes to that. Again, just holding the exits is enough for this fight and to buy time to make sure the line can have depth. This BG is at its end as it has been engaged since day one. I've committed Arty for support.

We manage to hold our own and take out a Tiger and some supporting infantry. I hold three VL's but they are threatened. Every battle I hold keeps this powerful German BG out of the main fray, so it's a good thing.

The next battle was at Hosingen. The US has 110/28 ID and they are facing off against a German Armored group, 902. The Germans will undoubtedly bring in a pack of Panthers. Opposing them I will infantry with a slew (5) bazooka teams. Morale is poor for my troops, but they are experienced. I hold a good part of the map with the German advance contained thus far to the Southeast quadrant of the map. The Germans will have to go through the town to get to the main exit, and I think they will bypass the VL on the north. Again, wait till the infantry is exposed and kill the Panthers with AT fire when they come to support the infantry. An artillery barrage awaits if the Germans cluster.

The Arty barrage takes out a Panther and a JagdPanther. Not much attacking by Germans, but they hold off an ill advised infantry rush on the southernmsot VL by my infantry squad that gets handled roughly by a German MG Squad.

Weiler 109/28 ID for US and 78/26 VG for Germans. Germans will be entering this map and I have a mortar barrage as support. I have a fairly strong unit with a number of decorated teams. One Sherman for armor support and to lead counters as available. Germans will have Jagdpanzers(3Cool for support and likely some AT Gun assets. I have a 57mm AT gun, 1 bazooka team and the Sherman for my AT support. I am going with a heavy mix of infantry (five teams and 3 MG's) I have two mortars in support.
Germans will attack from due east and I am hoping to bottleneck their advance. If I can take out their armor and their AT gun I plan on letting my Sherman hit them hard. Germans have a bad tendancy of leading with schrek troops as scouts.

The battle is going well until my Sherman gets a bit fiesty. I take out the PAK quickly but the Infantry gun takes out my tank with a shot. After that the Germans do a good job using the Jagdpanzer in a support role where he wreaks havoc on my infantry. My zook team moves and gets off shots, but the range is too far, and it is to no avail. I do inflict heavy casualties on German infantry and suffer relatively fewer losses. The battle ends with little ground changing, but tactically a good battle for the US.

Winterspelt US 291 Eng German 295/18 VG.
This could be a tough battle for me. Although the VG group is not particularly strong I have little AT capability other than a few bazookas. I bring on three with three HQ's and three MGs. The rest are engineers. I have no mortars and no assets of off board support.

This is not a good map for this team as it is very open. The STUGS could cause problems for me. I guess I am wrong. The German advance is sluggish and my engineers with bazookas more than hold their own against the German VG group. I take out a STUG and smash his infantry with MG fire as they go across the open fields. The STUGS just don't generate enough firepower with all the buildings and cover.

Next battle is at Habscheid. I bring back the 423/106 against KG Bayer. This is another Panther heavy group, and like most of my infantry groups this one has been engaged for a long time, and they are short of AT.

I hold the main town and have limited the German advance to the outskirts. Going straight down the middle could be tough for Germans. I have ARTY and if they mass armor I'll bring it on them. I think their best idea would be to hit the village from the eastern flank rather than going straight on. That way they could get to the houses and split my defense. I don't think they will go with an end run on the west side as it is rather open and would leave them exposed to my limited AT gun fire. The greatest likelihood is they try to crawl up the middle.

I have three bazooka teams, which are the best up close as the 57mm doesn't cut it. I do have a few of those and will likely put one on the western flank to cover that approach. Zooks will crowd the center. I'll let them in and then play cat and mouse with tigers. For some reason, morale of my troops is non existent. I don't know how long they will hold up in a fight - I noted that they are starting to break faster. Althogh I hate rotating out vets I am considering doing so.

The actual fighting centers on the main road through the town and ARTY does a good job by taking out a Panther and crippling another. Without heavy support, the Germans are leary to attack in force.

At Leidenborn I have a good armored group, CCB/7AD against a German VG unit, 89/12. Things do not go well for the Germans, and I almost take the whole map. A last minute shot by a schrek takes out a Sherman and a German Zug group takes a VL before I can get a counter attack out. However, I take out the light Armor and PAKs the Germans bring. Soon I'll be able to use a good deal more armor here if the Germans stay.

At Malsched the German BG is getting low on supplies, and since the unit F.B Brgd is an armored formation that is good for me. ARTY hurts the Germans and concentrated AT fire by Bazookas takes out another. I lose a heavy amount of infantry, but the Germans also lose a good deal. A pattern here is that I stop the German advance, but lose a good deal with counters as I can't totally take out German armor. However, soon the Germans will be out of supply, which provides me with an opportunity.

At Heinnerscheid 82nd Abn squares off for a second fight with a German recon unit. I try to hold the sector in the center, although I don't hold my furthest gains. I work the southern edge of the map and try to push to the main road on the flank. I take heavy casualties due to not having enough AT or armor support. However, I am able to make some progress on the South and consolodate the center. Germans control most of the map, but taking out a few tanks and tracks helps. I suffer horrific infantry losses.

A grinder battle at Loshem. 14th Cav Group has done yeoman work in blunting German armor penetrations. However, the Squadron is very weak, with little AT assets left - only a few bazooka teams. I am not likely to put Stuarts and Greyhounds against Panthers, but have tried to use them to supress infantry assaults as close fire support. HMGs have been used. Unit is low on everything, but still has half the map. Hopefully they can thin out the Panther herd, but Germans typically throw five tanks and a few AC's to the battle. They manage to take out a couple of more tanks and infantry with good work by MG's and bazookas. I retake the exit VL on the east, but lose the center trenches. Will have to put a recce unit and bazooka there to thin it out next time. Doing a good job with tying the German BG down.

Clerveaux is a nightmare battle for me. I have an ill equipped group for this Map with too much armor and not enough AT and infantry. I find that my Shermans and Hellcats are not a match for Panthers. Taking out a couple with ARTY and a bazooka helps, but this group's infantry is almost spent. I am strongly considering disbanding or retreating and moving an infantry unit in with stronger AT support.

At this point, END of Turn One Day Six I have to be happy with the way things are going. The German spearhead is bogged down out of supply and has been treated roughly. My defense is layered and I may be able to pull out some worn out units and replace front line maps with units that are at or near to full strength.

Day 6 Turn 2

Ramsheid US 394/99 ID German Telkamp
Fighting along the ridge to the east of the town yields little success, but the German advance is stopped short of the town by small arms fire and bazookas. I am able to regain the southern ridge line and can place at AT gun on that height. Minimal casualties for either side and only small tactical changes. In the movement phase I stay put and the Germans will be there for Day 7.

South Eifel US 422/106 German KG Peiper
I lose the a VL on the Western edge of the map and my forces are constricted to the north sector. I still hold two VL's. Suprisingly at the end of the round the German forces stay put, unless they are still unable to advance, but I would think they would want to push forward. I am hard pressed to take out these Tigers, but if they wish to stay here I will continue to swat at them with Bazookas.

Habscheid US 423/106 ID German KG Bayer
Hard fighting takes place as the Germans try to push up the center of the village in the early part. The attack is not done in strength and shortly is put down. I am able to take out a tank with an AT gun and a bazooka. My infantry small arms fire takes a toll on the enemy. The enemy is starting to use their tanks from a distance to blast away at strong points, but typically does not have enough infantry support to take ground in the town center.

Leidenborn US CCB/7AD German 89/12 VG
I manage to rout the German force in this map. I leave small units at the secured VLs that are surrounded to try and slow German reconsolidation. I leave a force at the middle ridge of infantry a Lt tank and a Greyhound. I hold the armor back to exploit. I also lightly probe the Northern open areas with recon infantry. The Germans take out a lt tank quickly, but I counter their assault on the ridge. I take out an AT gun, and start my push. German concentration is at the southeast and they are taken down viciously by Greyhound, MG track and armor.

It is a field day for the US. I will exit this map to take a German supply center. Even though I will be in danger of being out of supply I will move in infantry and then use infantry tactics to hold map, tie down the German rear and eventually flip flow the infantry unit I move in to this map with the armor unit.

Hosingen US 110/28 ID German KG 902
The Germans push forward toward the large building in the center of the map and almost manage an infantry breakout through the fields where I left a small force. I manage to take out a JagdPanther and Panther at the loss of only infantry teams. Germans are pushing towards the center of the town, but there is still a large amount of the map in play.

Weiler US 109/28ID German 78/26VG
Germans attempt to take the lower area with a frontal assault supported by a Jagd(3Cool. In the area north of the road they try to assualt with a PAK in support. It goes badly when both are taken out early in the fight. I just have one Sherman and I make the most of it, sending it to the South first and killing infantry.

My own infantry is able to clear the Southern part. Then I move the tank down the road to the VL and kill many more German Infantry. Sadly, I throw a track going through some rouge terrain, but I take all the VL's and rout the enemy in detail.

Winterspelt US 291 Eng German 295/18 VG
I prepare to absorb a German infantry attack and then counter. The attack comes from the North in the cener and is dealt with fiercely but it is a feint. German infantry use the woods as a staging area and hit the center supported by an Infantry gun. Their armor must be immobilized as it is not a factor. My own counter is from the east with 3 Infantry squads and a bazooka team. They manage to kill the disabled STUG and take the sole VL the Germans held. Although I take some infantry losses another German BG is out and a map is in my own hands.

Malsched US 424/106 ID German FB
The Germans try to rush the area north of the bridge but it goes ill for them when their tank is destroyed early on by a bazooka.

However, German tanks in the rear are paying a heavy toll on my infantry south of the bridge.

Luckily I have enough to stave off a desparate rush to the center and the battle resolves little in ground, but Germans suffer more infantry loss, are still out of supply and are bogged down.

Losheim US 14th Cav German KG Kulhman
The grind continues, but the Germans come close to splitting my forces, in effect they have done so, but at a bitter price. I take out three tanks with Bazooka a Greyhound and a Stuart. The tanks went forward without infantry support. KG Kuhlman has been greatly weakened as a fighting force, and the Cav Squadron is also hurt, but has more than done their job.

Heinersched 505/82AB KG von Follois
Again I try to hold the center and hit the southern flank. I am able to secure much of the south to the road the runs through the center. The center is a difficult fight. I manage to take out a flame track that had killed many in a building near the crossroads. My bazookas take out a tank but are also killed by return fire. The German infantry is of good quality and pins my men down, but I am successful in holding the middle and securing the south-center portion of the map, albeit at a cost.

Clervaus US 506/101AB German KG Cochen
I move in the 101 to give my armor BG a rest, and the "Screaming Eagles" screamed early and often. I am unable to move anywhere towards the south as German armor decimates my infantry. I do take out a panther with a bazooka, but simply have to hold on by my fingernails on this map. The Germans do not have enough infantry units to exploit their huge advantage. So, while they are hurting me tactically, they are not able to take advantage of it with mobility, and that in the end is to my advantage. I may pull 101 out and put my armor back in and continue to flip flop.

At the day's end the Germans have been handled roughly losing three maps and making little progress on the maps in dispute. Barring some unforseen happening, the Bulge will never develop. The AI it seems is better, but still predictable. Other problems are the choice of units. Germans will throw in seven armor (with tracks) into a fight, but not enough infantry to exploit. Also, unit size. Having teams with four men in each unit is ridiculous. If I had the time I would mod to make most infantry teams to have up to eight. Some infantry teams should be four, but having all small makes the game not feel correct. Other notes....US AB should not have BAR teams nor .50 cal as that is very inaccurate. A minor detail but one that bothers me as I am a former 82nd man!

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:28 pm Post subject: Day 7 Turn 1: "German Advance Held in Check" Reply with quote

Day 7 Turn 1

German Offense Held in Check!

The German offensive in the Ardennes has resulted in heavy losses for the Axis. Although US losses have also been high, the battle has fully developed into a slow progress with many US counterattacks leaving German formations off balanced and most of the spearhead elements in danger of being encircled.

Weiler US 109/28 ID German 78/26 VG

We bring back the big bad sole Sherman as Germans have weak tanks here, and the Sherman rules the field after a German PAK 40 and Jagdpanzer 38t are taken out. Germans yield the entire battlefield. I suffer the lightest casualties. Germans attempt to attack and when it sputters, the counterattack I launch crushes them in total.

Malscheid US 424/106 ID German FB Brgd

Another disaster for the Germans. They lose their bridgehead due to heavy artillery barrage and AT fire taking out their tanks. At minimal cost I recover the full northern sector and have Germans isolated to a pocket. An Armor BG may come into this map soon to finish out a crippled Armor formation.

Losheim US 14th Cav Grp German KG Kuhlman
The Germans offer a non spirited attack at the eastern exit which is kept at bay by MG and support from a SCOTT SPG. I stealthily take back the trenches but run out of time to take the Southern VL. After the battle I pulled out the Cav Group who had more than done their job. The 2nd ID will come in and try to take out this German BG rather than have the Cav contain.

Leidenbon US 504/82 German 295/18 VG
I use my ABN to try and secure an exit to swap with an armored group that had gone past the front to try and secure yet another German launching point. The results are powerful as I am able to take most of the town and nearly disband the German garrison. The ABn infantry is able to take much of the map and will move forward. After the battle I pull the Armored group back to their start position in order to allow them opportunity to re-establish supply flow. I push an infrantry group into this map.

Hosingen US 110/28 ID KG 902
The Germans are unable to advance and I actually take back some ground. Two Panthers are taken out by bazookas near the large building in the center. US clears some of the open area and inflicts casualties on German infantry who had pushed that area.

Heinersheid US 505/82nd ABN German KG Von Fallois
The paratroopers keep up the attack. The plan is to hold the center with AT position and select infantry and to use infantry to roll up the southern and eastern sector of the map. Casualites are high and I lose an AT gun. I am a bit more patient with the center and hold off on firing until armor support are up close. That combined with Arty takes out a few of the German armor. Although I do suffer some infantry losses I am able to take a sizeable part of the map, and the Germans are forced into a small pocket.

Dasbourg US CCB/7AD German 77/26 VG
I move my armor forward and attack a German Volksgren unit. I go with less tanks and more Greyhounds and MG tracks combined with infantry as I want to use them to lure German AT and Infantry positions. I do lose a few tracks, but manage to take out a large portion of the map. The Shermans work with infantry to follow up on areas of stiff resistance with my other infantry units. I take a good part of the map, but will pull this unit back to reestablish supply and push an infantry unit (AB) into the breach.

Clearvaux US 506/101 AB German KG Cuchen
The airborne unit manages to take out a few panther but is nearly annhilated as I simply cannot sustain the withering amount of fire put by the Panthers with only bazookas. The crossroads is a tough area for German armor as my AT takes out two pantehrs, but my infantry is decimated when I try to counter attack.

I only hold a few positions and pull out the 101 boys and bring in a unit from the 327 (101).

Ramscheid US 394/99 ID GERMAN KG Telkamp

Little changes in this battle as the Germans seem leary to advance with armor into the town. Like most of the maps the Germans are purely stalled.

South Eifel
No picture available...but Germans (AI) does not attack very well, particularly with their Tigers.

RESULTS Day 7 Turn 1.

The German attack is again canalized through the center of the town and artillery fire combined with bazookas manages to keep the Panthers at bay. German infantry is not able to sustain the assault. The logjam in the center of the town continues.

While my infantry takes some damage from enemy armor and MG fire outside the town the result the same as has been for the past few battles, loss of German armor and infantry and casualties for me.

Dasbourg CCB/7AD German 77 26 VG

Florian_geyer

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 7 Turn 2 - German Advance Still Stymied

Ramsheid US 394/99 ID German KG Telkamp
The German advance flounders. Not a very strong attempt to take any ground by the Germans as they move

up the road. A track is taken out by combined mortar and MG fire. Germans could likely clear the

village with a hard push through the town with infantry and by using armor in a support role. As it

stands the battle does little to change the tactical or situation, and the clock is ticking. More

importantly, strong units are deployed on all likely exits and there is no chance for breakout.

South Eifel US 422/106 ID German KG Peiper
Lackluster effort by the Germans allows US to grab abit of breathing room in the center. Hard to

understand why an all out assault is not launched on the few remaining US positions. Minor casualties

for both sides.

A disaster for the German Assault. US AT Gun shines by taking out 2 tanks and a track before it is

eliminated.
Bazookas take out two more tanks. German infantry unable to move authoritatively through the town,

although they do take out a few more infantry squads. Germans started to move along the southern route

and for a moment I thought a flanking manuver might be occurring, but it was not to be for the AI

general. Habscheid is a junkyard of German armor.

Leidenborn US CCB/7AD German 295/18 VG

US forces reenter the village and are able to realign their supply route. The German infantry is

decimated and they also lose a tank. US losses are minimal. A track is destroyed and one tank runs out

of fuel. Another tank is immobilized. However, this is a very strong armored unit, and the German

garrison is nearly thrown off the map.

Dasbourg US 504/82nd German 77/26 VG

The Airborne troops assault the map by using three wings. One win hits the North end moving slowly, but

when they find little resistance they are able to make good progress and veer towards the center. The

center group is the main assault group and managed to take the village and the bridge in force before

they are met with resistance. The third group goes to the North and is the reserve force and looks for

an exploit in the center. One squad remains in the South to probe and makes good progress. German

losses are extreme as the AB units are able to gang up, flank and assault isolated German teams.

Hosingen US 110/28 ID German KG 902
Germans lose another Panther in the center and weak unsupported infantry probes in the North - Central

fields are repulsed by rifle and MG fire. A concentrated assault supported by armor would likey be

effective in that sector.

Malscheid US 424/106 German FB Brgd
German units are out of supply and they suffer heavy loss of armor and men, and lose their bridgehead at

the bridge.

Germans would be well advised to make this an infantry fight and position tanks where they can't be hit

by AT and focus upon one area. The US teams could easily be held at bay attacking the open with MG and

mortar support. Another German armor junkyard.

Losheim US 38/2 ID German KG Kuhlman
The 2nd ID attempts to assault, but a number of problems exist. Due to poor recon, the unit enters from

the open south,rather than the village/town on the west. The unit is nearly overrun, and the supporting

Wolverine is taken out. Germans suffer one tank lost to a bazooka. The US infantry averts a cul de sac

by sending a few teams to the east and taking an exit VL. Germans with agression could have disbanded

this unit.

Heinerscheid US 505/82nd German KG Van Follois
The Germans are with their backs to the while and supplies are dwindling The US plan is to hold the

center and attack on the south and east areas to take ground and flank the few VL's remaining. However,

the Germans launch a strong and suprisingly well coordinated assault through the two with infantry units

and armor support. Since much of my AT is in the wrong spot, the German assault is successful, although

I do manage to take out a tank, a track and kill a PAK crew. A spirited counter assault by the Germans

hurts the US in this battle. However, the German unit is nearly out of supply and this may hinder their

progress.

Clervaus US 327/101st German KG Cochen
The glider infantry does a credible job as tank killers taking out four Panthers with Bazookas and AT

guns. German infantry is able to make some ground, but the loss of four tanks is a huge blow. Now with

proper understanding of the map, the US should be able to hold the German forces, or at least extract a

heavy toll for their advance. German unit is nearly out of supply.

End of Day 7 Results.
German losses are high on day 7. Combined losses - with the net gain of no maps is over 300 infanty KIA

and nearly 300 more wounded. Tank losses are 45 tanks, 10 tracks and 3 guns. US losses are much

smaller - 180 KIA and 220 wounded. US only loses three tanks, three vehicles and six guns.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: