Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1234
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Stocktov

Rep: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:36 pm Post subject: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

So my Brits are running around at night at the bottom right of the Merville map in the little town.  No resistance--not even a villiager around to point out Jerry.  As the groups were crossing the road, there is a scream because a bloke's legs are blown off in a minefield.  Then another one--then another.  Checked the zoom out to see what I already knew-no minefield in this area.  What gives here and has anyone else had this experience?  Is this another sad case of map coding not reflecting the expected area?  There was a distance between the kills of about 100 meters so it wasn't a localized fluke.  Two kills occurred really close to the VLs on that map.

My next task is to duplicate this effect...

Stocktov

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:38 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

It is reproducible--sadly.  Not the end of the world but not the most polished game.  I bought it for future mods anyway.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:37 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

Minefields are automatically shown when zoomed out when are over a certain density (forget the exact rules) but it is possibly there are mine elements there but not enough to trigger the mine to be shown on the zoomed out view.

Edit: checked the map and there are mine poles along the road/fence. Not sure if this was to prevent glider landings or if someone miss coded the fence posts as mine poles???

Stocktov

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

Yeah, I see that now.  Mine poles.  I probed all along the area but not at the "mine poles".  Still kind of messed up on some level though as they extend way out "west" to the hedge, IMO.  Still a great game and an easy fix for some of you rabid coders should you decide to do it.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:08 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

Looks like it is coded as the creator of the map envisaged originally.

It's not sad it's just that you are careless Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:14 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tonga

These anti-airborne measures consisted of planting a large number of mines to create minefields as well as the erection of wire-braced poles up to two metres in height, a great many of which were laced with mines or other booby-traps aimed at destroying gliders and killing or wounding airborne troops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Stocktov

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:27 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

Fair enough.  Just didn't seem right, still doesn't but I can't argue with history.  Thanks.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

Those mine poles are nasty...especially since they don't show up on the zoomed out map...ouch!

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:31 am Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

Low density and single mines don't show up either.

Cowmando

Rep: 8.8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

I came across the odd mine scattered all over the Merville map on GJS. I have always assumed it was deliberate.

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:13 pm Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

I believe it is... any reason to think not?

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Merville Minefield? Reply with quote

OMG!! We can't see every mine in the game!!

So... Realistic?  Wink

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day

Jump to: