Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1247
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Wittmann81

Rep: 11.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:36 pm Post subject: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

I and a friend played CCV GJS many years ago. The game crashed every second battle and it was almost unbearable. Still we loved the game.

I never really liked CCV vanilla. GJS introduced many new units and the concept of hiding AT-guns in bushes. It took more than one mortar round to knock them out.

I can´t find any mods for CC TLD, so I assume there are none. Is CC TLD basically the same as CCV vanilla without mods? If I did not like CCV vanilla, but loved CCV GJS, will I hate or love this game?

Will there be any mods for this game? Is this game stable in multiplayer?

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:41 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

I might be a bit biased since I was a beta tester for TLD but...

TLD mods - there are currently no available mods though a couple conversions from CC5 are supposedly in the works; Bloody Omaha, GJS and Meuse but no ETA's have been given.

TLD - TLD is not like CC5 as it includes all the landing beaches with American, British and Canadian BG's. The code has been changed adding features (examples; increased # of BG's, increased # of maps, night battles and varied airborne deployment zones) and fix bugs.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2101344

I think you will love the game.

Yes, it is much more stable in multiplayer....

JaguarWolf

Rep: 8.1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:32 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

TLD is not worth it really.  CCV with the mods is all you need.

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:03 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

CC5 with mods is great and will give you tons of replay value... Though the stability problems seen with GJS will still be their when playing any of them in a H2H campaign....

Wittmann81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:44 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

CCV crashed all the time during multiplayer. The GJS mod itself was not the problem.

I assume they have fixed most of the stability problems in CCTLD. I would gladly pay 1000 Euro for a stable version of GSJ. But I don´t think a stable version of CCV vanilla is worth buying at all. As I remember it you can´t even hide a gun in a bush. You have to put the gun behind the bush and it won’t be able to see or fire through it. Even worse - the gun crew won’t take cover when fired at with mortars. And every second mortar round will hit the ammunition depot and make the whole thing blow up. What are the odds of that? In CCV about 99 % it seems.
Even a company of Volkssturm was more useful when dealing with enemy tanks than a big gun was...

Wittmann81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

I bought the game. Now I only have to wait 30 minutes for the download and probably 30 years for the GJS mod to be released Smile

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

Wittmann81 wrote (View Post):
CCV crashed all the time during multiplayer. The GJS mod itself was not the problem.

I assume they have fixed most of the stability problems in CCTLD. I would gladly pay 1000 Euro for a stable version of GSJ. But I don´t think a stable version of CCV vanilla is worth buying at all. As I remember it you can´t even hide a gun in a bush. You have to put the gun behind the bush and it won’t be able to see or fire through it. Even worse - the gun crew won’t take cover when fired at with mortars. And every second mortar round will hit the ammunition depot and make the whole thing blow up. What are the odds of that? In CCV about 99 % it seems.
Even a company of Volkssturm was more useful when dealing with enemy tanks than a big gun was...

I would say its not worth the money. Once you open up the game, you will see its the same old Close Combat from 10 years ago and regular CC5 will give you the exact same feeling. Now if the price reflected how old the game was, and how impossible it is for 99% of the people to play online, then maybe it would be worth it.

Most of the opponent you will find on Gamespy or Hamachi are playing regular CC5 with mods.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

JaguarWolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:04 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

You wasted your money.  Oh well....some people just have money to throw away.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:12 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

I just bought a new car, air conditioned, power windows, mp3 player, bluetooth, more fuel efficient doesn't break down, built in GPS, fully supported by the manufacturer.......

A waste really, I could have kept driving my old one, a call to the repair shop every month isn't that much hassle, some things don't work as they say in the manual, far less features, can't see at night, .........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Wittmann81

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

Crap. A drug addict probably spends his money more wisely than I just did.

Close Combat The longest day is Close Combat 5 without mods. So I actually paid for an inferior version of a game that I already have.

I assume this version is stable in multiplayer. But the game is boring without mods. So now I have a fun version of the game that does not work in multiplayer and a boring version of the game that does work in multiplayer. This is pure evil.

JaguarWolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:21 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

hundreds of people play CC5 multiplayer, so obviously you've got the problem.

Tejszd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:52 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

Wittmann81 are you starting "Close Combat The Longest Day (Game Menu)"?

TLD is different than CC5 but it does include the original CC5 game as it's own menu choice; "Close Combat Invasion Normandy (Quick Start)"

Wittmann81

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:40 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

JaguarWolf wrote (View Post):
hundreds of people play CC5 multiplayer, so obviously you've got the problem.

Really? Everyone at GameSpy had the same problems as I did when I played some years ago. Maybe there is a new patch?

Single battles always worked fine even in multiplayer. But when playing campaigns the game crashed after 2-3 battles. Always at the exact moment when the timer hit 00.00. Some peopled tried to reload the game after every second battle. But I don´t think it made any good.

I did play the game for many years. I had it installed on Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows XP. Didn´t work on any of my computers.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:22 am Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

Really Wittman81 had you read the previous posts in The Longest Day Forum the question has been answered for you.

As you can see the opinions are varied

If you are looking for CC6 (like everybody else) then no there are no dramatic changes.

If you are looking for an improved experience in the existing game then yes buy it by all means.

I do agree that the price is over the top for the revamped old game.

I play it more than any other game I have therefore I believe that it is worth it to me.

As for mods, I feel it is only a matter of time before the mods start appearing as it is not an easy job converting them.

We have a great community here from all walks of life. I bought TLD for an improved gaming experience knowing full well its limitations from the posts of other members.... as you did. This it has done for me.

It is all the way you want to percieve it to be.

That you are not happy is unfortunate but you were forewarned of its limitations.

Had you gone in blind............... well

My advice (now you have it) is get into it and enjoy it

Have fun!!  Very Happy

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Wittmann81

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

Bungarra wrote (View Post):
Really Wittman81

If you are looking for an improved experience in the existing game then yes buy it by all means.

Well. I did read some posts before i bought the game. I fail to see any improvements at all. Some new maps and night fights, that´s it. Considering there are no mods for this version, I would say it is inferior to the original game.

Matrix has sold us a game that we already own and now they want the CC community to do all the work for them in converting mods. 40 Euros wasted is not the end of the world, but what Matrix are doing is simply not ok in my opinion.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: Tell me about this game Reply with quote

Wittmann81 wrote (View Post):
Bungarra wrote (View Post):
Really Wittman81

Well. I did read some posts before i bought the game. I fail to see any improvements at all. Some new maps and night fights, that´s it. Considering there are no mods for this version, I would say it is inferior to the original game.

Matrix has sold us a game that we already own and now they want the CC community to do all the work for them in converting mods. 40 Euros wasted is not the end of the world, but what Matrix are doing is simply not ok in my opinion.

Sometimes curiosity just gets the better of people....

Thats what Matrix Games does, recycles. They have a bunch of recycled games other than Close Combat. Read thier forums and you will find similar complaints.

Its not just a matter of time before the mods are converted. Its a matter of quality, and considering they debating on changing some things in some of the mods, it will add more time and maybe more bugs and a different experience. There are very very few people working on the conversion, maybe one or two, maybe three if one of the members get bored.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day

Jump to: