Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
Dundradal

Rep: 27.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I like both styles of "strategic" level seen in CC. The CC3 method appeals to me because it's my first experience with CC. You can fall back on supplies if you need to (or if you need to rest the troops).

I like the requisition system of CC3/CoI the best. You have to use your points wisely to make repairs, refill teams, etc otherwise you can find your ass in the vice if you spend them carelessly.

However, for CC4/5/WAR/TLD the other system makes sense. You are connected to supply depots by roads and are constantly receiving supplies and the CoI system would probably be a huge headache.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message, Marathon Infinity

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Quote:
that was Gunner who got us all into 3 day ops a good 7-10 years ago...

You are right.  I used to get the two mixed up once upon a time  Shocked

Here are some samples (dated 2001, so 9 years ago!).  For CCIII.  I think Ramelle is standard Game and the other 2 for the WF Mod, but I suspect will probably work with CoI?

CSOHILLSMAP-WF.zip
 Description:
3 Day Op.

Download
 Filename:  CSOHILLSMAP-WF.zip
 Filesize:  2.4 KB
 Downloaded:  292 Time(s)

CSOHill192op-wf.zip
 Description:
3 Day Op.

Download
 Filename:  CSOHill192op-wf.zip
 Filesize:  2.41 KB
 Downloaded:  324 Time(s)

CSO_Ramelle.zip
 Description:
3 Day Op.

Download
 Filename:  CSO_Ramelle.zip
 Filesize:  2.46 KB
 Downloaded:  243 Time(s)

Privateryan1

Rep: 58.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

My problem with COI is that it seems to be impossible to mod any tanks , ammo , armour and such . I have tried excell , Quibble and of course QClone but get an eror every time . Does anyone out there know how to edit these values without a crash as i have added scores of new tanks but now i cant change their armour or ammo values .

Tell her when you found me I was with the only brothers I have left.

Dundradal

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I've actually got a Der Ost Front GC going with Dampsquib from over at the Matrix forums.

I have to say I think I'm enjoying it more than the GC's I've got in TLD, WAR and Stalingrad. Perhaps it's because my heart still does go out to CC3.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."

Therion

Rep: 27.4

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Privateryan1 wrote (View Post):
My problem with COI is that it seems to be impossible to mod any tanks , ammo , armour and such . I have tried excell , Quibble and of course QClone but get an eror every time . Does anyone out there know how to edit these values without a crash as i have added scores of new tanks but now i cant change their armour or ammo values .

How you changed the number of rows in the first row of the txt file after adding the tanks?

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

CoI is the easiest of all CC's to mod - use exactly the same tools as CC3.

I must say CoI is my favourite iteration of the CC series especially with the MMCC3 option used in single or multiplayer mode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dundradal

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Log onto Hamachi some time and we can play a few games.

Go."

Hans-Ulrich_Rudel

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I'm still not sure about buying CoI because I own Close Combat III. CoI is in my opinion very expensive for a remake.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

CoI is identical to CC3in most ways. There are some fixes so its compatible with WindowsXP, and a new MMCC3 client. The campaigns are the same, as is all the graphics and data.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Hans-Ulrich_Rudel

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:06 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Well, I think it's pointless for me to buy CoI because I don't want to play MP.
Thanks for the hint.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
CoI is identical to CC3in most ways. There are some fixes so its compatible with WindowsXP, and a new MMCC3 client. The campaigns are the same, as is all the graphics and data.

It does have the old campaigns/operations/battles plus a new campaign "Fuger's Ostliche Wut 43 ~ 44" with new maps....

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:03 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Close Combat III and it's updated version Cross of Iron is the Heart and Soul of the series.

Why is it the Soul of the series?
When the game came out, large numbers of former CC2 players and WWII history buffs from all over the world met for the first time at the MSN Zone. A game sub culture was born. Clans sprang up, Pet maps were used, Forums were full of insults. It was cool. This was before Strat maps and tiny box in the corner deployments. This is when CC was in it's glory.

Want to reenact a historical battle Operation or campaign against the AI or a friend, no problem, It only takes a few minutes to Use Mod Swap and the Battlemaker to create a single day battle or multi-day Op from nearly any theatre and any time frame of WWII. Grand Campaigns are excellent, however most players who start one rarely complete them. An Op could be made on the fly and provide a quality game start to finnish in just a couple hours of gameplay.

Why is COI the Heart of the series?
Becouse you can start the War with individual soldiers. You learn their names, you build them up into uber soldiers, you see the medals collect of their chests, you protect them, risk them, admire them, and curse the enemy when they die.

These features were dropped for CCIV, CCV. It left us CCIII grunts saying... WTF? New Players would say, "but new game has a Strat layer!" And we would say Yes, but I already have a copy of the game RISK, I am here for Close Combat.

My advice today? Collect every version of CC enjoy them all, but whatever you do, don't go without Cross of Iron. It is the best of the series.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Superkala

Rep: 5.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

So just to be clear, CC3\CoI uses the requisition point based system, but the MMCC3 mod adds the possibility to also play a strategic map layer style as seen in CC5\CC4?

Sigh...really need an extensive FAQ stickied in the forum on what this game offers because i really dont get it at all! Wink

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Superkala wrote (View Post):
Sigh...really need an extensive FAQ stickied in the forum on what this game offers because i really dont get it at all! Wink

Good idea......

Dundradal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Superkala wrote (View Post):
So just to be clear, CC3\CoI uses the requisition point based system, but the MMCC3 mod adds the possibility to also play a strategic map layer style as seen in CC5\CC4?

Yes, they use a req point system and MMCC3 adds a strategic layer to the game. It's really fun too.

Go."

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/coi/CoI_MMCCIII/CoI_MMCCIII.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Superkala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:57 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

That site\page wouldnt load for me, i tried before.

I guess ill be picking up CoI when possible if for no other reason than to actually check this out myself. It sure is confusing though, knowing which CC is optimal to purchase and perhaps not even the most "recent" one.

schrecken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

might be a bit big... but try this

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/coi/vids/BOMMCC3-3/BOMMCC3-3.html

mooxe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

If you want multiplayer, there are lots of CC5 guys playing through Hamachi and Gameranger.

Superkala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Did you just imply that if i had CC5 and played multiplayer with it, there is no particular reason to need CoI or that massive multiplayer mod?  Shocked  Wink

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: