Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1256
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
RedWing

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:30 pm Post subject: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

I was able to pick Cross of Iron at a yard sale. (From the Matrix site, I should dare not tell you what I paid for it)

Anyway...I have several questions:

1. What does MMCCCIII mean? (don't know if I spelled that right?)
2. What are and how do mods, etc.. and the down-loadable content thru this site's Download area work? (I searched but I really didn't find any step- guides, or what even these add ons, maps, etc...do or are used for)
3. I do understand that this is a part 2 over the original CC made in the 90's. I don't understand why you would want to load content from that game into Cross of Iron? Do the graphics, game and unit stats, units expanded, etc...get upgraded in this new version?

That's all I can really think of for now. I know more will pop up and I will post here. Please be patient and break down your answer, with out writing a novel, as much as possible.

And to show how I am a total newbie...I keep getting my AT guns and Tanks blown away within about 10 minutes into a scenario and/or a campaign. LOL. Somebody needs to find a better way to disguise his units. Damn commies get me every time...  Razz

Spinlock

Rep: 14.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 pm Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

MMCCCIII is hack program that allows multiple people to play on the same strategic map and play head2head net games. Once the match is over, the results are put back up to MMCCCIII and frontline is updated. In my experience, i've never seen another player online.

For tanks, start the match with them behind cover and slowly bring them out as you need them. always have infantry lead the way use the tanks to support the infantry.
For at guns, place them in locations with the best cover, leave them in defence mode and they should attack on there own when enemy armor comes into view. but they are very vulnerable to attack and get knocked out easily.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

RedWing wrote (View Post):
I was able to pick Cross of Iron at a yard sale. (From the Matrix site, I should dare not tell you what I paid for it)

Anyway...I have several questions:

1. What does MMCCCIII mean? (don't know if I spelled that right?)

MMCCCIII also adds a hex based strategic layer to COI ie a two dimensional strategic game as opposed to COIs linier campaign

2. What are and how do mods, etc.. and the down-loadable content thru this site's Download area work? (I searched but I really didn't find any step- guides, or what even these add ons, maps, etc...do or are used for)

Only mods fore COI specifically will work in COI.  There should be instructions in the pdf manuals launchable from the COI command centre.  However you can DL maps and drop them into your map folder and then create your own senerios to fight on them

3. I do understand that this is a part 2 over the original CC made in the 90's. I don't understand why you would want to load content from that game into Cross of Iron? Do the graphics, game and unit stats, units expanded, etc...get upgraded in this new version?

That's all I can really think of for now. I know more will pop up and I will post here. Please be patient and break down your answer, with out writing a novel, as much as possible.

And to show how I am a total newbie...I keep getting my AT guns and Tanks blown away within about 10 minutes into a scenario and/or a campaign. LOL. Somebody needs to find a better way to disguise his units. Damn commies get me every time...  Razz

ot much advise here, every battle is different  Laughing

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 am Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

1.  MMCCIII (or MMCC3) stands for: Massively Multiplayer Close Combat III.  It allows you to fight battles on a Strategic Map where you can see the whole Russian Front divided into Sectors (squares), where each square is a battle.  You can choose which Sector to fight a battle on.  This is very different to the in game battles in which you move from map to map, but you cannot decide which map you move to.  That is decided by the Operation or Campaign.

2. 'Mods' are modifications made to change the game.  They often give you different Units, Maps, and Campaigns to play.  For example, the Western Front Mod will give you Allied (American/British/etc) Units and European maps to fight on.  The easiest way to install these are to use the ModSwap Ultility for Mods which use this.  There are Mods which require installing manually and if this is not done correctly, you can stop the game from working.  ModSwap is the safest way until you are more familiar with how Close Combat works at the file system level.

There is usually a 'Readme' or some documentation to help with this, however, if you have specific questions, please ask, and someone will try tot help.

3. Never mix Close Combat III and Close Combat Cross of Iron files except for the Maps which are completely compatible.  If you know what you are doing, then you can mix some other things, but I recommend you avoid this completely.  I can see no point in doing so anyway.  The original CC3 Grand Campaign and all the Operations and Battles are still available in Cross of iron anyway.

-----------------------------

There is a simple rule set for playing Close Combat:

Anti Tank guns kill tanks
Tanks kill Infantry
Infantry kill Anti Tank Guns

This should not be taken *too* literally.  You have to weigh up the situation based on the Map and the forces you and the opponent has.  From what you say, you are fighting the Russians, and there are some things to keep in mind:

Tanks:

Know your armour!  They are not all the same.  It is worthwhile trying to get a better understanding of the relative 'power' of the tanks of both sides.  This will allow to to judge better what to choose for your force, and what not to do with them.  Avoid going head to head with enemy armour until you get more familiar with the game and the relative strengths of the armour on both sides.  Knowledge is power!

For example: PzKw III (any flavour) .v. T34/85 = BAD idea
PzKwVI Tiger I .v. T34/76 = Good idea

Anti Tank guns.  These are excellent tank killers, but of course they need to be able to see a tank to kill it.  Unfortunately, they can be easily destroyed once they are spotted.  So to start with, try and find locations where you have a good field of fire and there is cover available.  Start the game with them in 'Ambush' mode.  Make sure they are within the radius of a Command Team for better performance (press the space bar during deployment or in game to see the command areas, they will appear as circles in colour).  They also seem to be more effective if you give them the 'Defend' command rather than choosing your target manually.  Try not to have them too close to the enemy.  They get spotted quicker, and enemy guns and mortars will soon give you problems, and infantry if they are too close.

Enemy Anti Tank guns are the biggest danger to your tanks.  Try and find them probing with infantry.  Use 'Crawl' to avoid detection and reduce casualties when spotted.  When you spot and Anti Tank gun, target with your mortars or bring a tank to fire at it directly from a distance if you can.  If you can assault it with infantry, then all well and good.  Smoke is useful to reduce the risk either by obscuring your own units, or the enemies.  

Tanks are merciless infantry killers, and will wipe out whole squads in no time.  Use your own tanks to target their infantry and try and keep your infantry out of sight of their tanks if possible.  If possible try and support your infantry who are advancing with some heavy weapons or another infantry team or teams.  If your infantry come under fire, retaliate by targetting whatever is firing on your infantry.  Even if you do not elminate them, the suppression factor will help reduce your casualties, and don't forget smoke as well.

Be patient!  (unless you have a 10 minute game time and you haven't the luxury).  The enemy (AI) will always target some VL (Victory Location) and that should give you some ideas as to where to deploy

Please do ask any questions, and we will do our best to help out!

p.s. Nobody cares how much you didn't pay for it  Wink

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 am Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/coi/CoI_MMCCIII/CoI_MMCCIII.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vonB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

Just some additional regarding MMCCIII.  It is a seperate Program (or more strictly 2 programs: 'Server' & 'Client') from Cross of Iron.  There are 2 Versions:

1). Local

2). Online (Internet)

The Local Version is the default shipped with Cross of Iron.  The 'Server' which 'Hosts' the Campaign is installed and run from your own PC.  This needs to be running before you can play an MMCCIII Campaign.  The Link to launch this Server is in the Start Menu... Programs…Close Combat Cross of Iron… MMCCIII Single Player Server.  If you get an error trying to launch the Server, it is likely that you have not installed the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, and you would need to do that (Start Menu... Programs…Close Combat Cross of Iron… Support... Microsoft VM).

When that has started, you can then launch the MMCCIII 'Client', which you use to connect to the Campaign.  You can do that from the Command Centre, or the Start Menu... Programs…Close Combat Cross of Iron… MMCCIII.  You can then connect to the 'Server' and start playiing the Campaign.  This involves choosing a Sector (square) to attack, and sometimes you will be asked to Defend (yes, the Server will also initiate attacks on you as well)

Up to this point, Cross of Iron is not running.  In fact, it is important that it is not!, as MMCCIII needs to modify a file in your game that cannot be done if the game is already running, so make sure Cross of Iron is NOT running when you launch the MMCCIII Client.

It is worth reading the Documentation available in the 'Manuals' Folder, which can also be reached using the Command Centre.  If is MMCCIII.pdf

I would not say that the process is very intuitive, but once you have got the hang of it once, it is very straightforward (easy when you know how eh?  Smile )  It is important you follow the simple procedure when launching Cross of Iron to fight a battle.

That's more or less it for the Local Version.

However, the Online Version is where MMCCIII can really come into it's own, and that is fighting Campaigns alongside or against other players.  It used to be very popular with many players regularly fighting online, but not so much anymore.  Liase with Schrecken regarding the availability of online campaigns, as he is the Matrix co-ordinator for them.  I know there are issues with the onlie Server and the Campaigns are not always available, but I believe they are working to get it sorted out.  In the meatime, why not familiarise yourself with the Local Version?

A note about the Online Version:  You need a different 'Client' to play online than the oe that is installed by default.  You use ModSwap to do this.  Also, you now need an update to the Client (see the Support Section of this Forum for details).

Using ModSwap also allows you to play Local and Online Campaigns, by changing the Client accordingly.  You can't confude them as the Local Version of MMCCIII Client will not allow you to connect to an online Campaign.

Lastly, there are some Mods available for different MMCCIII Campaigns.  The default Campaign is the Russian Front 1941 ~ 1945.  There is another online Campaign called Operation mars, which is a particular Campaign of the Russian Front over a more limited time period.  I am not sure off the top of my head what others are available.

The Manuals are well worth reading.  The 'Commanders Combat Pack' is very useful.  Unfortunately, all the links to www.closecombat.org are pretty much useless now.  Matrix Games and Close Combat Series (this Site) are the best places to look for support etc., as far as I can see.

For the beginner, there can seem a lot to take in, and I'm sorry I can't explain in just a couple of sentences, but it is in fact one of the simpler games once you become familiar with it.  Hope you have lots of fun.  I have been playing for more years than I care to admit, starting when Close Combat II came out.  It is still my favourite game...

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

Welcome to CCS Redwing!
The bad thing about CC is that it is worse than drugs. Really addicting. Plus we have this great forum here.

Somehow you sound familiar (username).

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

And what those guys above said, thats pretty much all of it. This should be a sticky.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

vonB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:14 am Post subject: Re: Help for a Newbie...and I mean real newbie. Reply with quote

Quote:
The bad thing about CC is that it is worse than drugs. Really addicting.

Ain't that the truth!... Very Happy

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron

Jump to: