Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1248
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Figured out the Naval support for any/all maps.

Now Naval support available for all maps.

Naval barrage will represent both Naval and heavy Artillery/Mortar support

Mortar barrage will represent Medium Mortar support ... since Medium Mortars are no longer available in BG's.

Since Naval barrages are available as soon as the battle starts ... this will represent a pre attack barrage. And most significantly, it will hinder/stop H2H players from stacking units around the sometimes very small entry/attack deployment zones. This should solve one of the most annoying aspects of the game. :)

The amount of both Naval and Mortar barrages as well as Air Strikes will be adjusted too.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:08 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Awesome!

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:32 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Quote:
Mortar barrage will represent Medium Mortar support ... since Medium Mortars are no longer available in BG's.
Since Naval barrages are available as soon as the battle starts ... this will represent a pre attack barrage. And most significantly, it will hinder/stop H2H players from stacking units around the sometimes very small entry/attack deployment zones. This should solve one of the most annoying aspects of the game. Smile

hehe, and you removed 81mm mortars as beeing too big threat for ATGs...
to mass more men and equipment than your opponent in one spot is a skill and not "annoying aspect of the game" Smile.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
Since Naval barrages are available as soon as the battle starts ... this will represent a pre attack barrage. And most significantly, it will hinder/stop H2H players from stacking units around the sometimes very small entry/attack deployment zones. This should solve one of the most annoying aspects of the game. Smile

hehe, and you removed 81mm mortars as beeing too big threat for ATGs...
to mass more men and equipment than your opponent in one spot is a skill and not "annoying aspect of the game" Smile.

hahaha ... good one :)

It turns out there is a maximum amount of each type of support available for each day ... Naval, Mortar, Air.
That maximum number is 10 ... so with four turns per day, you will still have to plan where to put your support. Beach maps will require most of it ... so there isn't enough Naval support for a player to use for every battle, but since there is a possibility of a player using it on any map ... it should keep the opposing side from totally surrounding a small single deployment zone.
For example:
I may assign a Naval support for an attack at Carentan Causeway. When the battle starts, and if I see the German defender has placed all his/her units across the bridge in the first field and/or house ... then I will target this area with a Naval barrage.
I'm sure some real life battles started with an assigned heavy support barrage anyway, especially if it was an obvious ambush with a bottleneck approach.
This will allow the Allies to get across the bridge and set up defenses and get ready for their next move forward.
The German defender may gamble that the attacker won't waste a Naval support ... and still put everything forward. Or decide to layer his/her defenses back through the depth of the map ... so as to minimize losses if and when a Naval support in launched.

Players should agree though ... not to use Naval support when a German BG has only one small deployment zone.

I'm thinking these changes will promote defenders to layer their defenses more, and thus allow a better chance for the Allied side to conduct maneuvers that portray more realistic WW2 type action ... instead of just having the attacker walk into a single preset ambush, with no other options available.
Once a Naval and/or Mortar barrage is fired, there is no more heavy support ... or Medium Mortars. So if a defender has well placed and layered defenses (that are hard to spot) ... some will probably survive and will have to be knocked out by units on the ground.

Both sides will be able to move around better without Medium Mortars slowing everything down to a crawl.

It seems some battles are fought in the deployment stage with every possible angle of line of sight directed at one small corner of a large map. I hoping these changes will promote more realistic movement, tactics, and strategy.

Just theory now ... but should be ready to test soon.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov joined the effort, and has done some brilliant editing ... along with excellent ideas.
He did the bulk of editing.

Here is the readme file describing the changes. Some testing will have to get done before it's released.

TLD Realism On Ground (ROG) mod ver1

-Medium Mortars removed
-5cm Mortars added to German BG's
-MMG and HMG changed to 3 and 4 man Teams
-Recon Teams added
-2 inch Mortar smoke capabilities added, and new firing sound
-M7 Spigot made into a new weapon, and new firing sound
-Schiessbecher made into a new weapon
-2 pzfaust 30 for German pzjäger teams (of all branches)
-Spatrupp: replaced MP44 with MP40
-Changed BG Team types for some BG's to have AI choose Recon Teams instead of Mortars
-Light Mortar explosion animation size increased
-.50 cal now has visible impact graphic
-Added a crew to the Füsiliere(MG) team
-Grenade explosion animation size increased
-Created separate GIR and PIR Platoon and Company HQ
-Allied Naval Support available for all maps
-All Support values changed (Naval,Mortar,Air)
-OnGroundFX sound mod included
-other corrections

Last edited by davidssfx on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

davidssfx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:16 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Also ...
1) 316 Pz.Kp./Panzer Lehr will replace 901 Pz.Gr./Panzer Lehr BG ... and bring with it: three Tiger 1's and 9 StuG III's.

note: I have the Tiger's in the BG (and StuG III G's), but have to figure out some BG things, as well as make new corresponding identity graphics. And also see if there is an icon that works for the BG screen.

The addition is based on this information;
Panzer Kompanie (Fkl) 316 subordinated to the Panzer Lehr Regiment got the five first production Tiger IIs to replace its StuG IIIs in February 1944. When the allies landed in Normandy, these were in poor mechanical condition and it was decided to send them back to Germany. However, transport could not be arranged and the remained in France at Chateaudun where they were destroyed to prevent capture. The Funklenk company fought in Normandy with the Panzer Lehr Regiment, beginning with 9 StuG IIIs and 3 Tiger Is. 7 StuG IIIs were still operational in July 1944, shortly before the unit was withdrawn and handed over to the newly formed Panzer Abteilung (Fkl) 302.

2) Naval barrage will be available to German BG's on Day 8 and 9 ... although in limited quantities. This represents the Heavy support brought to Normandy by Panzer Lehr. Any (non beach) map below Bayeux (on the Strat map) will be able to call for this Heavy support.

note: the in game voice says "Naval support available", but should say Heavy support available. If anyone wants to voice act and record "Heavy Support Available" ... (for Allied and Axis) then I will replace the Naval stuff. Otherwise I will leave it as is ... with the understanding that Naval means Heavy support.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:38 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

you could pinch the vox file from WaR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:43 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
you could pinch the vox file from WaR

Good idea. Thanks schrecken,
.... never played WaR, so I didn't realize it had those voice cues.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:53 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

the only thing in it that will upset you is "The snow is slowing us down"

But just pinch the ones you need

I think it's #97 you are looking for

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/WaR/WaRVox.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Looking good!  Great work, Guys!
When's the 'ETA' for the mod?  Maybe I can throw in some graphics stuffs (new expanded custom rank graphics, Roque5's weapons art, maybe a new main screen and other minor stuff).

davidssfx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
the only thing in it that will upset you is "The snow is slowing us down"

But just pinch the ones you need

I think it's #97 you are looking for

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/WaR/WaRVox.html

Thanks ... that was very helpful  Smile

davidssfx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote (View Post):
Looking good!  Great work, Guys!
When's the 'ETA' for the mod?  Maybe I can throw in some graphics stuffs (new expanded custom rank graphics, Roque5's weapons art, maybe a new main screen and other minor stuff).

Thanks for the comment, and offer to help.
As far as an ETA ... very soon.
And for graphics ... to start with:

1) All menu graphics that identify BG "901 Pz.Gr./Panzer Lehr" need to be changed to "316 Pz.Kp./Panzer Lehr".

2) A Battle Group screen icon needs to be made for the "Tiger I".

3) Your other ideas sound good too.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Here is the Tiger icon done ... also have the Strat map 316 Panzer Lehr icon done.
Any ideas of the exact locations of the other ones ... like top right (Panzer Lehr) of this jpg?

ROG Tiger icon.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.45 KB
 Viewed:  7903 Time(s)

ROG Tiger icon.jpg

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:15 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Nice work on the Tiger icon!

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Yes, it looks very nice.

Dima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Quote:
1) All menu graphics that identify BG "901 Pz.Gr./Panzer Lehr" need to be changed to "316 Pz.Kp./Panzer Lehr".

316.PzKp(Fkl) was attached to Pz-LR.130. Why there is no PzIV on your pic? Wink.
Strange ratio of AVF, why only 2 StuGIII but all 3 TigerI made it's way to FP? Smile

stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:28 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

the changes look good david / game rat! i look forward to trying it out! thanks for modding TLD it needed it!
MSN me and we'll play test it together!

RD Steiner

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

davidssfx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:13 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:

316.PzKp(Fkl) was attached to Pz-LR.130. Why there is no PzIV on your pic? Wink.
Strange ratio of AVF, why only 2 StuGIII but all 3 TigerI made it's way to FP? Smile

It seems these three Tigers of 316 did end up with Panzer Lehr ... somewhere around Caen (I think) ... but like many things that happened in Normandy, there is much mystery.
The only reference I've found mentioning associated armor was found here:
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/borgward-iv-sdkfz-301.htm

Quoted from above link: The Funklenk company fought in Normandy with the Panzer Lehr Regiment, beginning with 9 StuG IIIs and 3 Tiger Is.

I inferred from the quote above that the three Tigers were deployed with or near to the 9 StuG IIIs.
Also, looking at the reference ... it seems FKL used StuG IIIs.

As for the 316 BG ... it has not yet been assembled. The screen shot was just too ask about the icon location.
316 will have all three Tigers in the Active Roster along with a SdKfz 251 and various supporting infantry. The StuG IIIs will fill in the roster if/when any Tigers are lost.
I'm guessing these three Tigers would have been deployed together, but there seems to be no record of them fighting or surviving, but it does say ... 7 StuG IIIs were still operational in July 1944,
Maybe the Tigers were knocked out up front and some of the StuG III's pulled back and survived (at least until July). Since there is no detailed history ... I'll just go with this for now.

Very interesting history ... even though it's only a small amount of information.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:14 am Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

stiener wrote (View Post):
the changes look good david / game rat! i look forward to trying it out! thanks for modding TLD it needed it!
MSN me and we'll play test it together!

RD Steiner

Thanks ... sounds good

Dima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Realism On Ground (ROG) mod Reply with quote

Quote:
Quoted from above link: The Funklenk company fought in Normandy with the Panzer Lehr Regiment, beginning with 9 StuG IIIs and 3 Tiger Is.

Panzer Lehr Regiment = PLR.130 - tank regiment - so my question remains - where are the tanx? ;)

Quote:
I inferred from the quote above that the three Tigers were deployed with or near to the 9 StuG IIIs.
Also, looking at the reference ... it seems FKL used StuG IIIs.

initially it had 5 KT and 3 T1 and 50+ BIV.
after it appeared that all the Tigers were not combat ready - various problems with engines and suspensions - it was decided to reequip it with 10 StuGIII in May.

Quote:
As for the 316 BG ... it has not yet been assembled. The screen shot was just too ask about the icon location.

IMO it should not be 316 BG but PLD BG with 316.PzKp attached.

Quote:
I'm guessing these three Tigers would have been deployed together, but there seems to be no record of them fighting or surviving, but it does say ... 7 StuG IIIs were still operational in July 1944,

These 3 T1 indeed didn't have any combat in Normandy and were sent back to factory in Germany.
But they were counted with 316.PzKp(Fkl) by June 6th so who cares Smile.

Quote:
Maybe the Tigers were knocked out up front and some of the StuG III's pulled back and survived (at least until July). Since there is no detailed history ... I'll just go with this for now.

check above Smile.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: